Mid-Season Update

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Mid-Season Update

Postby E_meister » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:38 am

Not much action on the forums lately. How's the season going for everyone?

Personally I've only been a weekend warrior, stupid work!

Been one of the better seasons in terms of birds in the area in my opinion.
Shake it more than 3 times and you're playin with it.
E_meister
hunter

Re: Mid-Season Update

Postby LayedOut » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Work has kept me on land. We were in the up 2 weeks ago, made out with 49 birds. Flights should start moving with this cooler weather.
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby Boom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:55 am

Besides my gun :wink: missing a few easy ones i am not doing to bad. We haven't really did well on mallards but woodies and teals were doing real good along with a few divers here and there. I am hopeing this weather might start a little push.
WACKEM & STACKEM
Boom
hunter

Postby Adventurer79 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:21 am

Should have been done by 10 am this day, my gun must have the same problem yours does.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby Boom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Nice pics. Just a fyi for ya. Not only will guns miss but the ammo companies will load blanks and put them in the box :wink: . Just a few things i have come accross. Again nice pics. i enjoy seeing pics like these i have never done the open water gig. It looks fun.
WACKEM & STACKEM
Boom
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Haven't been on the Bay since last weekend. Bascially could shoot your limit of bills in 5 minutes a person out of the layout then had to sit and hope for odd balls. Some eyes and squaw around, and killed a drake eye on Sunday, so hopefully they eye's will show up in force soon.

Most reds left the UP around Monday, so they should be south somethere.

I haven't hunted much, but sitting around 74 for the year so far. We hunted last Sat-Thur and put 101 in the boat.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby Joshua » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 am

Was having a nice season until about a week ago when the woodies and teals disapeared. Now I can not find any ducks, without giving me too many details can anyone help to point me in the right direction in the west and northwest lower. I have been hunting the state land around allegen but the ducks I can find got hunted too hard and will not respond to calls. This is my first year calling, so I nay not be that convincing as a mallard yet.
Joshua
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:28 am

Well my update is terrible.

Had a great time with my hunting buddies of 20 plus years but the ducks are just not around, except for the locals that are still hanging around.

When buffleheads stay out 100 yards from you, you know they have been HAMMERED.

Hunted all over the northwest/central and northern Michigan for 6 days last week and it was almost a complete bust. We normaly do well over this same time period as none of us deer hunt.

Did manage a couple of G-eyes on the west side near the big lake Michigan on Sunday but no real push. Monday it was like glass on the water.

Just no new birds is all and it is still not looking good for this week.

Be safe.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:00 pm

The buffies were sure out in force this weekend. Shot 10 Saturday and 14 Sunday along with a hooded merg, GE and canvasback. Seems like the ruddies have finally started to move out of St Clair for the most part.

Limits would have been easier but some guys are still getting used to shooting from the layout. I was shocked to see so many layout spreads today. I'm talking 5 along a single mile of coastline.
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Flooded Timber » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Not much luck here, 1 drake golden eye, 1 butterball and a drake mallard in 3 days of hunting.
I prefer the term "full figured"...
Flooded Timber
Newb

Postby swampbuckster » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm at duck #47 for the season. The majority of those ducks are wood ducks. A few blacks, ringnecks, green wings, mergansers. Should be doing a little better on the diver number with this cold push we are getting. I'm lovin it!
"If your not sweating, your not duck hunting!"
swampbuckster
hunter

Postby Snowshower » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:13 pm

Anyone hunt the southern part of the state? was wondering if any of you guys up north have seen any push south yet from the cold weather we got.
Snowshower
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Just returned from 4 days of hunting the Grand Rapids area and it was again, terrible!!

A bit more divers Thursday and Friday, but no big pods of anything.

Put up 75-100 mallards near a campground, now how and why are they acting like LOCAL DOCK DUCKS??

This year I have seen more NON ETHICAL action by waterfowlers then I want to admit. three days in a row, had shooting 20 mins after closing. On two differant bodies of water guys out driving ducks with boats while some of thier hunting party waited on shore with decoys. And yesterday, watched 7 mallards go back into a creek, then minutes later a duck boat haul butt over there and guns were blazing off the bow of boat while guy in back was driving!!

I know it is slow for some, but these actions are not what I am teaching my son when it is tuff hunting. We managed a few each day and had a great time in the boat talking and enjoying the mornings.

Be safe, one more weekend in the South Zone and then we are done in Michigan..
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting