anyone seeing much migration movement??

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

anyone seeing much migration movement??

Postby Timberline » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Took a ride out along the Arkansas from Rocky Ford to Las Animas to see what the birds looked like for this weekend and it looks like it is going to be slow.. Not much on Holbrock Res. either.. Didn't have time to go out to John Martin so if anyone has looked at that a good report would be nice.. How about you guys who hunt up north around Pruitt and Jumbo reservoirs?? Good numbers?? if so ,spook them up and send them south.. Good luck to all this weekend!!! May your retrievers being sleeping hard Saturday night...
Timberline
Newb

Re: anyone seeing much migration movement??

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:34 pm

hey timberline,
i have been working in montana for the last five weeks and the birds have been here(geese primarily) up until about 4 days ago and the skies have been blank until today. There are a few bigger groups that i have seen coming down. I am working at a refinery that is about a 1/4 mile off the yellowstone river, west of billings. So i get to watch birds everyday. Bluebird day here today and i have watched a couple of big flocks 75-125 birds a mile high then come dump in the river. With this cold front comin' it should start movin birds in the next week here i would guess.

I am in the process of moving from minnesota to colorado in the next few weeks here and hopefully should have some time to hunt comin up. I will be moving to the longmont area. The way it looks is it can be pretty tough even to get into some fields up there w/ all the leases and hunters, and i dont want to hunt up by the s. platte due to hunting pressure either. I am thinking of heading south to pueblo and east along the arkansas river. I have a enclosed 6x12 trailer w/ bigfoot and GHG full body canadas and a couple dz. GHG full body mallards, couple robo's,tons of decoys for water, ground blinds, a 3 year old yellow lab. It looks like you hunt down that way, curious if you could give me info on the area (hunting pressure, what kind of birds to expect, etc. etc.) I dont need to know spots, as i am capable of scouting and doing the groundwork myself(and enjoy it ;) Even, if you wanted to hook up and do some hunting...? PM me if you want.
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Postby MakeItRainDucks » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:41 pm

If you would like to hunt Arkansas River let me know. Ive done my fair share of scouting and i have some spots along the river i get at'em pretty good. Friday i took 5 with a friend. To be honest should have limited out as we showed up late and birds were pouring into the spread as we were still throwing out dekes.
MakeItRainDucks
hunter

Postby mngreenheadkilla » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 am

Make it rain,
I will PM you...
mngreenheadkilla
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting