New camera advice

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

New camera advice

Postby rcdinaz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:37 am

Okay I am taking the plunge into photography but need some advice to finalize my decision. I went to an independent camera shop that has classes, sales equip, and does repairs and talked to them for a while to get advice. I will go back and buy it from them as the service was worth giving them my business. I also will start taking their classes as the location is convenient.

I plan on doing mostly outdoor photography and using video for family events. A lot of the pictures I want to take are at pretty good distances of wild birds and game here in AZ. They recommended Canon and told me it was probably the most user friendly if you are just starting out. They had Sony, Nikon, and Canon and the gal I talked to said she uses Sony but still recommended Canon. Please let me know thoughts on this.

Canon EOS Rebel T2i vs Canon 60D, is the T2i sufficient or will I be wanting the faster camera for things like birds in flight?

Costco has a pkg on the T2i w/ 18-55 & 70-300 lenses for $1,350

I was also looking at getting the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L lens when I can save enough. Any feedback or better options out there let me know.

Thanks for the help!
One of the greatest skills you can develop is the ability to ignore those that annoy you...
rcdinaz
hunter

Re: New camera advice

Postby Albert001 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:49 pm

I would go with the Canon D60 a great camera next step down from the Mark series. It has all the bells and whistle which you can use for pretty much any photo shoot. Do you purchase on Ebay? There are some very good dealers from NY area which are very
reputable to purchase from and can save you some $$. Make sure it is a US version with warranty not overseas version. From $1350.00 to $1450.00 free delivery, with 3 lens & misc. items. If you are serious save you $$ and buy Canons top lenses you pay for what you get. Lot of luck and enjoy photography. Albert.
Albert001
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:03 pm

I can't tell you about the video quality on the cannons but as far as user friendly they certainly are not to bad. I spend a lot of time on the cannon forums and a lot of the folks seem to like the t2i and its video quality. Now the 60D being so new there is a lot of talk but not enough one way or the other to give it the thumbs up or down. Glass (for the still pics) the 70-300mm is not the glass from cannon to go with. If you can find the 55-250mm you will be a lot happier in the IQ of your pics. Better yet would be to get just the body and skip on the kit glass then pick up the 100-400L or the 400 prime because you will find you never have enough reach for the birds. The 400L has a edge as far as IQ and lock speed but the 100-400L has the versatility of zoom and still great IQ. Ok that's my .02 with my very limited knowledge. Good luck with your new hobby it is a fun and expensive one :lol3: :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:38 am

I am a Sony fan (however Sony does not have video) but would agree with "hamer" on the lens choice for the outer reaches
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Whitehorse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:38 am

I would get the cheaper of the two!

is video needed?

honestly, we can bicker for hours between the two, but the newer 60D has been a let down as far as innovative technology other than they added video (whoopie)

I own a 40d and 50d, and I had higher hopes of the 50d, and still, i'd chose an older 40d to save some coin for good glass
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby rcdinaz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks fore the feedback! I actually want the video capability and was looking for that as a small way to explain to the wife the cost and convenience of not having to buy a new video camera, ours is 10 years old.

I am planning to add the 100-400mm lens a few of you described. I am also looking at the 7D after talking to a friend. My biggest reason to possibly spend even more money is weather proofing. The area we have our cabin in has showers almost every afternoon in the summer so there will be times when there is very high humidity and things will get wet.

Really appreciate the info!
One of the greatest skills you can develop is the ability to ignore those that annoy you...
rcdinaz
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Somehow I was browsing and I take back the fact that Sony does not have video in their DSLR
I may be wrong..there is a 14 meg Sony SLT-A33 with video for about $675 and I will go down to the Sony style store to try it out
if they have one in existence.
I also saw something called a Sony SLT A55 which is a 16 meg camera with HD video/price?
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum