been a while. Here are some new ones with the 100-400L

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

been a while. Here are some new ones with the 100-400L

Postby Whitehorse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:49 am

just playing around, more to come later today
Attachments
d06.jpg
d05.jpg
d04.jpg
d02.jpg
d01.jpg
Whitehorse
hunter

Re: been a while. Here are some new ones with the 100-400L

Postby Whitehorse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:55 am

couple more for ya

i'm new to this, could use some help.....

This was my first outting with the 100-400

I would say I was missing the sun factor (and it was quite cloudy)

should I shoot in a higher exposure to pic up colors?

Thanks in advance!

oh, and those super close shots people get, are they just cropped a lot? how do you follow those little buggers?
Attachments
d08.jpg
d07.jpg
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:13 am

Like you said the lighting just got ya with these pics. You could try bumping the iso up from the 200 like the last one was shot at and change your white balance from auto to shade but I think it would of only been a minimal help with these. How you liking the push pull with the big dust pump. It took me a bit to get use to but after a while it becomes second nature. I love the IQ from my copy a lot. I am still really learning the BIF shooting a lot but the still pics I am getting are great and I don't think I would trade it for anything except maybe 500L, 600L, or 800L :lol3:

As far as the super close shots get as close as you can then plan on cropping a lot. It just seems like you can never get close enough :sad: :smile:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Whitehorse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:01 am

As you said, it's going to take a little to get used to the push pull... I have some great still shots, but I think this copy is a little shot.... tell me, how do you find out how a picture was captured? I think all were iso 200, I was just too nervous and I kept thinking "wow these are going to be great" cause they looked good on my 50d oooooops!

also, I was trying to get my six ducks (eventually did in 5 shots only) wow! I doubled on two ducks, a hen slew up into a drake, and had a little collateral damage.

Thanks, i'll keep practicing with this lens! just wished I could capture better shots, but i'll be out often!
Whitehorse
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Boost your ISO as a LAST resort, NEVER as a first alternative. Slow your shutter speed first, if you can; stop your aperture down next.

In the first set of pics, you're shooting at 1/800. No reason you can't gain several stops in exposure by dropping it down lower. Likely, the camera is metering off the sky (it's exposed properly) and the birds come out underexposed. You may want to shoot in shutter priority to expose the birds properly versus letting the camera decide for you.

In a situation like this, it's important to use your histogram to show you what areas are over/under exposed so you can compensate properly. If you're shooting in RAW, you can edit +/- a stop in post processing.

Keep it up and keep practicing!
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Whitehorse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Spiraleyes wrote:Boost your ISO as a LAST resort, NEVER as a first alternative. Slow your shutter speed first, if you can; stop your aperture down next.

In the first set of pics, you're shooting at 1/800. No reason you can't gain several stops in exposure by dropping it down lower. Likely, the camera is metering off the sky (it's exposed properly) and the birds come out underexposed. You may want to shoot in shutter priority to expose the birds properly versus letting the camera decide for you.

In a situation like this, it's important to use your histogram to show you what areas are over/under exposed so you can compensate properly. If you're shooting in RAW, you can edit +/- a stop in post processing.

Keep it up and keep practicing!

Thanks man! I take a lot to the field, but when the 1000 plus ducks lock in, everything goes out the window, I can barely do anything cept start clicking! :)

you will see improvments!--- excited for my 4 day weekend!!!
Whitehorse
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum