Duck Hunting Forum banner

St. Francis Sunken Lands Debacle

9K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  pheasants 
#1 ·
I went to St. Francis Sunken Lands today and saw a lot of ducks. They were working nicely to the big spreads of decoys next to the nicely built blinds. I scouted it out two days ago and decided that I needed to sit in one of the blinds to even have a fair shot at competing for the ducks. So, I get out there early today with my dog (no other guys in my boat), and I get into a blind near Siphons access. I wait till daybreak and just as shooting light was approaching, three guys show up to the blind. I kindly ask to hunt with them (seeing as it's just me) and they essentially tell me to get the heck out of there. Technically, I had the right to stay, but respectfully, I left.

My question to the hunters of Sunken Lands is: Why is there a lack of courtesy to fellow duck hunters who are respectful 'good ole-boys'? I grant it that they have put in hard work to make a great hunting blind. But, it's still public land that all of our tax dollars pay for. Why be selfish, especially to someone who poses no threat to their being able to have a good time too? I don't understand it. :fingerpt:

#2 ·
This is why I'm 100% against blinds on Public lands. It is their Blind.. But it's public land. Wouldn't be any-different than jumping into someone Else's boat and trying to hunt. Next time, Bring 4 or so big ole boy's and remind them it's public land, Every one needs a reminder.

Majority of public hunter's are: ignorant of duck's and duck hunting, Think they are in a calling contest, not courteous and skybusters.

Where are you from?

#5 ·
Yeah, I know those guys. Let me apologize for how they treated you, not everybody over here acts like that. Their blind shoots 4 easily, as I hunted with them last weekend. You probably did the best thing by leaving, but it still sucks to be run off of public property.

#8 ·
Yes that sounds like pure BS. I understand the guys put in the hard work to build the blind, pay for the materials...but AGFC needs to remind them that even if they built the blind, other hunters are allowed to hunt out of it. But like some of you, I would have burnt that **** to the ground...i dont have a problem with hunting public land, but i do understand with the lack of water, that some of "our" holes are going to be crowded. Usually not a big deal for my group, to hunt with other groups...get to meet some new people.

#10 ·
wooducksooie said:
That's BS!! Call em in and give them blind number or location. Sorry to hear that happened to u. No way I would ever run a single hunter and his pup off.
Agreed!! If I knew where it was, like some people around here I would do it myself.

#11 ·
greenster said:
wooducksooie said:
That's BS!! Call em in and give them blind number or location. Sorry to hear that happened to u. No way I would ever run a single hunter and his pup off.
Agreed!! If I knew where it was, like some people around here I would do it myself.
I put my boat in at the Siphon's access, and went left toward the railroad tracks. Went down about a half a mile, just before the railroad tracks, and turned right at the first canal. Their blind is the first on the left about a quarter of a mile down. It's in a little cove with two crow's nests. Have at it... :thumbsup: I'd go back, but I live near Fayetteville. I'll be back though...

After I headed back to the boat ramp that morning, I had resolved to let the air out of their tires. I figured they used the Siphon's access too. But, when I got back, there were three other trucks (two with trailers). I wasn't sure which was theirs, so I just left.

#12 ·
very common occurence over there...and 9 times out of 10 its not worth hunting any way so why bother...i've had it done to me 3 or 4 times before i got smart and moved to a better place

you just got to deal with it that place is set apart from the rest of the world...half the owners of the blinds will tell ya theres isnt on the wma (and in some instances they are correct)

the owners of blinds at big lake are usually a little nicer for the most part and willing to share or point you in the right direction of an empty blind and occasionally the hunting can be worth it just my .02

#13 ·
I have a different take on this as the majority of you do. As a blind owner/builder, I feel that it is my place to hunt, public or not. If I am not at the blind and you get in it, stay and enjoy it if I don't show up. If I do, I have the right to ask you to leave. If you refuse, I will not get any ego in the way, although sometimes I really want to. I sometimes will allow the "guests" to stay if there is room, but if I brought my own guests, I will ask you nicely to leave. Normally, the process is smooth but sometimes, arrogance gets in the way. When that happens, I will just back away and explain that I will simply keep you and your group from having any success. I will park my rig about 100 or so yards out of your way and make sure that any duck that comes near you will not want to work your spread.

If you pull that public lake BS on me, I will reply that those decoys your using are on public water, and I have the right to use them. See, it works both ways. Listen guys, for those of us who scout out an area, buy the material, and put in the many hard labor hours to build the blind, you as ethical hunters should IMO, respect that we, the owners, had 100% involvement in cost and construction, and you had nothing invested. So for you to claim it is fair to enact squatters rights because of public domain is just wrong. The issue is of ethics, being honorable sportsmen, and not letting any ego preclude good judgment.

I want everyone to have as much success as possible while hunting. Sometimes, I am late to my blind for unforeseen reasons. If I do not show up, because it is on public water, please use it, but take care of it. I hope you have a great hunt. If I show up and ask you to leave, please show me respect and honor the fact that it was my fruits that bought and built it. If those of you reading this disagree with how I feel and handle this type of situation, then so be it. Don't be a jerk when I ask you to leave and I won't be a jerk by ruining your hunt. If there is room and I want to invite you to stay, that is my call. If you want a blind to hunt out of, go scout out a place and build one as long as it is not on top of someone else's blind.

I also understand that someone can and has vandalized my blind so it is unuseable for even me because I asked them to leave. I know who it was that did it as well. But because I am ethical and promote good sportsmanship, I simply assume that risk and will elect to rebuild it again. I have the time and the money. My blind(s) have been in the same area I hunt for over 25 years and the locals know who owns them. Out of mutual respect, we do not hunt other people's blinds in my area unless we call in advance and find out the schedule of that blinds use and gain permission from the owner. That takes the surprise out of the equation. You are not helping yourself by using someones blind without prior permission. It would be better to find out the owner and talk to him about his blind. Find out if he would even consider allowing you to use it when he is not there. You might be surprised in what happens. More than likely, the two of you will strike up a lot of good hunting stories and find some commonalities between you. It may even become a lasting friendship simply because you made the effort to be ethical in the beginning with him.

Curl

#14 ·
you are absolutely right that is how most people i have run into there are...they will either give u a time table as to when you can hunt or in my case the guy i ran into had multiple blinds and allowed us to hunt his other blind (big lake was a little different in that they just let you pile in)...the best thing to do as much as you may not want to hear it is show up right before daylight and see which blinds are taken that way there is no let down when you've been there for 2 hours and someone shows up at sun up...

i support curl tail but again like i said there are better hunting oppurtunities in this state...however there probably aint one as easy as st francis...pull up to blind start breakfast wait in the warm blind and shoot...

#15 ·
I also have a blind, but at big lake so I pretty much know how this usually works out. First, it's folks like you that will lead to the blinds being burned by Agfc for good. I agree with you to some extent. I.e. Your time, money, and decoys, etc. But you have to remember that is a risk you take when investing such. It is public property, not yours. Not all hunters are out to "take over your blind". Some just simply want to hunt for the day. I would also love to know just how much "scouting" you did for that blind. Most of those blinds have been established for decades such as ours at big lake. Also, if one did put forth the time and effort to scout and build a blind, they cannot build a new blind on st Francis or big lake. If your such a hardcore scouter then how about go scout several other spots on st Francis so that you can hunt those in case someone is in "your" blind Instead of jeopardizing everyone elses blind by such arrogant behavior. We are all adults here so you would think we could all be cordial about this. The gift to us that built these blinds is that we do have some leverage by telling "intruders" that that's our time, material, sweat, decoys, made the run, etc. So we get to simply drop our boat in and cruise our boat up to a nice toasty blind ten minutes before daylight 90% of the time. The least we could do is be respectful/cordial about it when someone does beat us to it. Most folks have just got spoiled over the years and expect to have the same "private style" hunting on PUBLIC land when we take for granted the PRIVELAGE that we have by "claiming" these blinds all these years. If someone hunts "our" blind at big lake, we simply ask to hunt with them. We explain that we built the blind, upkeep it every year, and throw out decoys. We usually meet new friends. If not, we realize we cannot kick anyone out and resort to plan b (which we have by SCOUTING). Seriously, can't we all be a little more mature about this?? Well, we better be or they're gonna burn em all down. Then we'll see how much everyone wants to "scout"

#16 ·
wooducksooie said:
I also have a blind, but at big lake so I pretty much know how this usually works out. First, it's folks like you that will lead to the blinds being burned by Agfc for good. I agree with you to some extent. I.e. Your time, money, and decoys, etc. But you have to remember that is a risk you take when investing such. It is public property, not yours. Not all hunters are out to "take over your blind". Some just simply want to hunt for the day. I would also love to know just how much "scouting" you did for that blind. Most of those blinds have been established for decades such as ours at big lake. Also, if one did put forth the time and effort to scout and build a blind, they cannot build a new blind on st Francis or big lake. If your such a hardcore scouter then how about go scout several other spots on st Francis so that you can hunt those in case someone is in "your" blind Instead of jeopardizing everyone elses blind by such arrogant behavior. We are all adults here so you would think we could all be cordial about this. The gift to us that built these blinds is that we do have some leverage by telling "intruders" that that's our time, material, sweat, decoys, made the run, etc. So we get to simply drop our boat in and cruise our boat up to a nice toasty blind ten minutes before daylight 90% of the time. The least we could do is be respectful/cordial about it when someone does beat us to it. Most folks have just got spoiled over the years and expect to have the same "private style" hunting on PUBLIC land when we take for granted the PRIVELAGE that we have by "claiming" these blinds all these years. If someone hunts "our" blind at big lake, we simply ask to hunt with them. We explain that we built the blind, upkeep it every year, and throw out decoys. We usually meet new friends. If not, we realize we cannot kick anyone out and resort to plan b (which we have by SCOUTING). Seriously, can't we all be a little more mature about this?? Well, we better be or they're gonna burn em all down. Then we'll see how much everyone wants to "scout"
Wood - thanks for commenting but I guess I need to clarify a bit of information. I don't hunt anywhere near where you guys are hunting. My lake is in another part of the state so I guess your grief is valid for your conditions. And because I remove my blind every year after season is over means the blind is mine, cause I take it home. As for scouting, how bout 25 years worth to find the right spot? Yep, same spot year after year. Only time I act "arrogant" as you call it is when it calls for it. Lots of ways to resolve conflicts.

Hope you guys have a great year hunting.

Curl

#17 ·
Sorry Curl, I thought u were specifically referring to the public blinds at st Francis. In your situation you have every right to do what you do. Sounds like alot of hard work. I was referring to the "owners" of blinds on public wma's only. Have a great season. :beer:

#18 ·
wooducksooie said:
Sorry Curl, I thought u were specifically referring to the public blinds at st Francis. In your situation you have every right to do what you do. Sounds like alot of hard work. I was referring to the "owners" of blinds on public wma's only. Have a great season. :beer:
Not a problem Wood. I can understand the grief that is caused and felt by both parties. Fence has two sides to it always. Everyone just needs to remember that what we have is a gift and a blessing. Most folks forget that. Everything I have is just a temporary gift from above. I'll give it back in a few years. Folks tend to get bent outta shape when their enjoyment and anticipation is trod upon. Can't say I blame them much but they need to remember that we are being watched and notes are being taken from above on how we act and think. If I get out of line with someone, it is only for a reason that I stand for principles, and I don't take much crap from anyone when they cross that line. Hardest thing is to keep reminding myself that there is a reason for everything and that other person knows and feels things that I dont. Hopefully, I react the right way and make a good out of a bad. Wish we all could do that evey time. I probably don't react the right way most of the time.

Well guys, this is beating a dead horse. So my prayers are for all to have a very blessed holiday season, and that you give as much as you get. Pass it forward folks.

Merry Christmas - Curl

#20 ·
Curl tail said:
I have a different take on this as the majority of you do. As a blind owner/builder, I feel that it is my place to hunt, public or not. If I am not at the blind and you get in it, stay and enjoy it if I don't show up. If I do, I have the right to ask you to leave. If you refuse, I will not get any ego in the way, although sometimes I really want to. I sometimes will allow the "guests" to stay if there is room, but if I brought my own guests, I will ask you nicely to leave. Normally, the process is smooth but sometimes, arrogance gets in the way. When that happens, I will just back away and explain that I will simply keep you and your group from having any success. I will park my rig about 100 or so yards out of your way and make sure that any duck that comes near you will not want to work your spread.
you might once or twice but you wouldn't have to worry about hunting that blind for a while.

If you pull that public lake BS on me, I will reply that those decoys your using are on public water, and I have the right to use them. See, it works both ways. Listen guys, for those of us who scout out an area, buy the material, and put in the many hard labor hours to build the blind, you as ethical hunters should IMO, respect that we, the owners, had 100% involvement in cost and construction, and you had nothing invested. So for you to claim it is fair to enact squatters rights because of public domain is just wrong.wrong. The issue is of ethics, being honorable sportsmen, and not letting any ego preclude good judgment. you wouldn't know ethics if it bit you on the ass.

I want everyone to have as much success as possible while hunting. Sometimes, I am late to my blind for unforeseen reasons. If I do not show up, because it is on public water, please use it, but take care of it. I hope you have a great hunt. If I show up and ask you to leave, please show me respect and honor the fact that it was my fruits that bought and built it. If those of you reading this disagree with how I feel and handle this type of situation, then so be it. Don't be a jerk when I ask you to leave and I won't be a jerk by ruining your hunt. If there is room and I want to invite you to stay, that is my call. If you want a blind to hunt out of, go scout out a place and build one as long as it is not on top of someone else's blind. and if you want a private blind build it on private land.

I also understand that someone can and has vandalized my blind so it is unuseable for even me because I asked them to leave. I know who it was that did it as well. But because I am ethical and promote good sportsmanship, I simply assume that risk and will elect to rebuild it again. I have the time and the money. My blind(s) have been in the same area I hunt for over 25 years and the locals know who owns them. Out of mutual respect, we do not hunt other people's blinds in my area unless we call in advance and find out the schedule of that blinds use and gain permission from the owner. That takes the surprise out of the equation. You are not helping yourself by using someones blind without prior permission. It would be better to find out the owner and talk to him about his blind. Find out if he would even consider allowing you to use it when he is not there.why ask? You have that right now. Instead the owner should either show up early or stay home. You might be surprised in what happens. More than likely, the two of you will strike up a lot of good hunting stories and find some commonalities between you. It may even become a lasting friendship simply because you made the effort to be ethical see abovein the beginning with him.

Curl

#23 ·
so lets sayI hunt deer in arkansas on public land and i've got this ridge saddle with a little food plot put in by AGFC. One day I'm lazy and I get there late although i know it is a highly desirable spot ON PUBLIC LAND. I've also built my self a nice natural cover ground blind that I built from home and put it there. I show up at right before shooting light and someone is hunting the spot.
well the spot is great, not because of the blind, but because of the spot (the public land that it sits on). And if someone is hunting that spot and has made an effort to make sure they showed up early enough to get it then good on them.....i should have known better than spend all that time in my garage building something I wasn't willing to share and throwing it in a place where the law states you have to share. apparently curl tail has some sense of entitlement and feels that he may be above the law. just because you may have been born before the lead ban doesn't mean you're legally allowed to still shoot lead because you feel its right.

bottom line is....if you don't want anyone rightfully sitting in a blind that you love soo much and put soo much time into. then i suggest you get a lease or put it up in the backyard. its the hole thats good not the blind....and i'm sorry sir, but you dun own the hole. I do, you do, and everone that has posted on this thread does.

also...sitting outside of a hole that you woke up too late to get, but harrassing the other hunters while they are legally trying take a game species in the state is highly illegal. you can say they can't prove it, but all they need is a print record of this thread in their truck.

#24 ·
I understand where curl tail is coming from, we build blinds here with cane, logs, sticks and dig them down. Although we may not have any money invested we do put in a whole lot of work. We also do it year after year but we have no right to claim that as our blind. There has been multiple times we pull up to headlamps in our blind, but with the "scouting and hard work" we move to one of our other blinds. Truly hope that the ones hunting our blinds drop em dead. We all enjoy a good days hunt and all hope those days but guess what get there early and have no worries if something comes up and you can't, go somewhere else as I am sure u know where the ducks go and want to be and sure they all don't want just that spot. If I am sitting in a blind on public land and it turns daylight and someone shows up to take claim they can go ahead ruin my hunt and as they are they will watch me roast some good ole hot dogs where their blind used to be. I don't recall bond fires being illegal. Not really intended to be a personal shot at curl tail but seriously u show some respect and if someone gets up early and beats u too it go somewhere else and try to have a good hunt. And u say the blind is yours, but for instance if someone else packs it up and takes it to their house I guess it wouldn't be yours any longer. I guess I'm confused reallyone the whole debate the blind is urs so that makes the hole yours also like you said u would just park ur boat in the middle and ruin a hunt, so you do realize that it's public. So all a person would have to do is make a temp blind right next to it. Duck season is fairly long and a lot of hunts do scouting throughout the season as ducks do migrate so new birds may like different holes, just don't think it's right u can simply stake part of the lake for only you to enjoy whenever you want. Like someone said if u paid taxes on it yea kick them out but if don't take ur blind down if u don't like the chance of someone getting in ur blind.

#25 ·
So someone takes the time, spends the money on building material to construct a blind on PUBLIC LAND. They show up just before shooting light then are an a--hole when they find someone in it ? That is BS, its public dummy and anyone ( as long as they are considered part of the public ) can use it. If a person wants to make it nice so when they are able to hunt there, great, but in no way does that give them anymore right to a spot than anyone else. They are taking a gamble by building on public land, then being jerks when they lose. COMMON SENSE

#26 ·
I hunted St. Francis all during the 70's and we didn't have much problem with people in "our" blind but here is something to think about:
You go scouting on public land for deer hunting spot. You find a spot and the day before you hunt you put your ladder stand on a tree. You flag the stand and also your walk-in route with hunter orange tape. You get there the next morning and someone is sitting in your stand. What would you do? How is this different from what the discussion is here? What I would do is walk up, tell them that is my stand and then if he wants to still hunt on that tree that I take my stand down and walk away with it. (stand has name and phone # on it)

On St. Francis, when I hunted it, everyone left there decoys out. Also most blinds were floating. So I say the blind is mine the same as my deer stand is. We had quick disconnects with locks on our cables holding the blind. If someone was in "our" blind and we didn't have room for them to stay and we let them know this and they wanted to disagree with us about leaving then we would say "well, i'm going to move my blind and decoys a little ways down from here then and they can stay in this "spot" if they wish but not in the blind.
You guys go ahead and cut my post up now! haha..
Just my opinion of course! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.