Cleaning a BPS

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Cleaning a BPS

Postby macdaddy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:34 am

Somebody - help! I stripped down my BPS yesterday for cleaning. Got it clean, alright. But it took me a hour to get the bolt, slide, & action bars to match up again :oops: I know it's not a Rem, but, honestly, it shouldn't take an hour to get this done! I almsot missed the IRL race! & I'm not about to take it to a dealer or gunsmith just for cleaning! This is an embarrassing admission, so have mercy on me, fellows.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:32 pm

sell it and get a nova.very easy to clean.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:58 am

hum that is surpising i don't have any problems with my gold and i have cleaned my cousins bps a couple of times and it went together fairly easy maybe it is your gun??? what do others think?
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:14 am

donell67 wrote:sell it and get a nova.very easy to clean.

Sell a BPS to get a Nova. That is the funniest thing I have heard all day. Hunted with a Nova. They only thing they are good for is deer hunting cause they rattle so much.

Anyways, we have a BPS that is my Remington's Backup (was my Grandpa's gun and dad doesn't want me tearign it up). I shot it at ducks and geese several times, and it took my an hour tops to strip it down and clean it and assemble. If this is the first time you have cleaned it then next time you know how its supposed to go and will get it quicker. I had the same problem with my 870 the first time I had it apart, but mine was with figuring out where everything went cause I really had her broke down. Don't give up on the BPS. They are the second best pump gun out there (870 is #1)!
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Goosehunter04 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:44 pm

donell67 wrote:sell it and get a nova.very easy to clean.

BPS for a nova :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Goosehunter04
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:55 pm

You should just trade me for my Nova... Cause I like the BPS better, just couldn't afford it!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:30 pm

I borrowed a bps 10 from a friend of mine for a season, and the same thing happend to me when i went to clean it, except i couldnt get the friggen thing back together so to make a long story short i had to give it to a gun smith to get it back together. I don't feel that bad about it though because ive heard of a dozen other people having this same problem. So don't feel to bad it happens to the best of us. :withstupid:
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

That is indeed hilarious!

Postby teal_tormentor » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:55 pm

Trade the BPS for a Nova, I'm still laughing at just the thought. If a man was to even consider such a ridiculous trade...Then consider trading your brand new $60,000.00+ (depending on options) 2005 Range Rover for a rusty screwdriver. I have a few extra rusty screwdrivers in the shed I believe. Would you like to trade a Winchester 1300 for that Nova? Only thing is it doesn't have a barrel attached. Na, forget that offer, I would rather keep the Winchester, even without a barrel! HAHAHAHAH :umm: A!!! :laughing: :laughing: Browning BPS for a Nova.
Take a youngster hunting today instead of taking him to rehab tomorrow.
teal_tormentor
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:26 pm

i have had a bps shot gun and had nothing but trouble with it. i have a nova now and no problems with it.i know another guy that had nothing but trouble with his bps too.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:40 pm

Its a 2 way street. My lil bros nova has had many problems. The BPS i shot, and 2 friends shoot are great guns.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby teal_tormentor » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:57 pm

What exactly are the problems you've encountered? Does/did the gun fit properly, problems with the spent shell ejecting, did you completely cycle the forearm after each shot? I have had the opportunity to hunt with my grandson's BPS on several hunts. It has not operated less than flawlessly with me to say the least. This model is the 3.5 bps stalker. It is heavier than most guns but it is well built. This is one of the slickest pumps I have ever used. When you say "problems" it is difficult to assume anything else other than problems with spent shells ejecting. Hands-down, the stalker would be my #1 choice for a pump shotgun if I was to ever purchase one.
Take a youngster hunting today instead of taking him to rehab tomorrow.
teal_tormentor
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:32 pm

meybe they make them better now i bought mine about 10 years ago.it jammed often.wouldnt cycle a shell into the chamber quite a bit. the stock kept coming off. the gun fit me well. i didnt/dont have to worry about completely cycling the forearm on my remington i used growing up or the nova i have now.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:03 am

Thanks, ks & Humboldt Hunter - I don't feel so bad. I guess this Sunday I"ll wait for the NASCAR race to be [i]over[/i] before I clean the ole BPS. The "trade it in for a nova" was just the laugh I needed after last night's Yankees' debacle. :laughing: Youns are good folks.
macdaddy
hunter

Re: Cleaning a BPS

Postby xfps » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:02 pm

Mark McCummins wrote:Somebody - help! I stripped down my BPS yesterday for cleaning. Got it clean, alright. But it took me a hour to get the bolt, slide, & action bars to match up again :oops: I know it's not a Rem, but, honestly, it shouldn't take an hour to get this done! I almsot missed the IRL race! & I'm not about to take it to a dealer or gunsmith just for cleaning! This is an embarrassing admission, so have mercy on me, fellows.

Ok this takes a little time but I have owned 3 bps's now and it's real simple ifyou do it right. After you take the dowells out clean all then start by putting the dowell threw the ejector assembly first , make sure your threw the alignment dowell after that is in, lay the firing assembly in, then the slide assembly on top of that.then slide the forend threw and under the slide assembly. Ok now your holding the gun upside down, so , slide the right metal(holds the shell in the mag) into place when you do this keep the gun slightly tilted to that side so it doesn't move ,now put the left metal piece into place and hold it lightly with your left hand, ok the trigger assembly piece make sure that the half moon guides on both side have the flat portion pointed up, if not it will never go in but it will act like it wants to. Also check and make sure your bolt release lever is flat on the trigger assembly. ok slide the half moon slides into the reciever while holding the gun tilted and the left hand on the metal strip. slide it in and push down. If you got everything right it will go right together. Put the dowell back in, DONE!
I know cliff notes would be nice but follow those and you will get the hang of it . Oh yea have fun!
xfps
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:08 pm

sell it and get a nova.
:toofunny: I am with ks_waterfowler I would use it for deer hunting. If I would trade it I would get a 870 express. Those are good realiable guns and they aren't too expensive. :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:46 am

Thanks, Xfps. Your suggestion sounds better than what I was doing. I liked the Cliff Notes! That really takes me back. Good luck this season.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:38 pm

I have cleaned my brothers BPS several times and it was kinda tricky the first time but after that, it was a snap.

Oh yea just cause i cant let this one pass without a good laugh...
:toofunny: a BPS for a Nova :toofunny: that one gets me every time i think about it......... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
duckplucker
hunter

Assembly of a BPS

Postby Ron M. » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:01 pm

I had some trouble also putting together my new & first BPS. I could not find enough information on the net to resolve my problems so I am shairing what I have learned and hope it may help someone.
The main problem I had was installing the trigger assembly. The two cartridage stop bars would not stay where they belonged when I attempted to rotate the trigger assembly into place. Try this:
Cover both the cartridge stop bars with a sticky gun grease. I used Briley's choke tube Lubricant. Set the bars into their channels. They should stay there now by themselves. Cycle the the bolt to the open position. The carrier (part that flips up and down to move empties out and new rounds up into place) will move away from the bolt toward you and cross over the two cartridge stop bars. Now everything is lined up and you are ready for the trigger assembly to go in.
If I remember correctly >> the flat side of the hammer pin goes toward the cartridge stop bars..? The pin rotates, so pre set it at an angle such that the pin can be slipped into place (~20 degrees). Hopefully the notches in the cartridge stop bars are in allignment with the pins on the trigger assembly. Rotate the trigger assembly down into place. Install the final pin and you are done.
Note: don't pull the trigger when the assembly is half in and at an angle. The hammer is released and gets wedged against the top inside of the frame and is a bugger to correct.... :)
Good luck. I hope this helps someone.
The BPS is a damb fine pump.! I waited a year to get my Upland Special and it was worth the wait. I have no complaints. In fact I think I have one of the finest all around field pumps on the market today....
Regards,
Ron M. Ferndale, Washington
Ron M.
Newb

Postby Wags » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:13 pm

Go to www.shotgunworld.com Under either gunsmithing or Brownings, one of the senior members who is a gunsmith did a picture slide show on the BPS assembly/dis-assembly. A very informative and well done thread.

Wish I had saw that before I field stripped my BPS for the first time. After that it was a breeze. The BPS is an excellent shotgun.......

Wags
Wags
hunter

Ron & Wags - thanks

Postby macdaddy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:50 am

Ron: I copied your response. Excellent. Wags: I'm going to go to that site - if the school computer will let me. Good way to start the New Year. :getdown: Incidentally, the old BPS is going to need a good cleaning before Saturday, so your advice comes in handy. :thumbsup:
macdaddy
hunter

Postby turning green » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:35 pm

i have shot a bps for 10 years now and it was my fathers gun when he was in college and i am in college now. he used it for 25 years before i did and shot many many many rounds through it. he was on a trap league and used it for hunting for 25 years before i got my paws on it. now i use it for hunting and i am in 2 trap leagues and the gun is still wroking strong. i had to replace the two bars that hold the shells in the magazine because the gun has been used so much and they were worn just from repettetive use for 35 years but now that i have those 2 new pieces put in, the gun works like it is just barely broke in. i love my bps and i know what you mean when you say that it is a pain to clean but after the first time like everybody else has been saying, it gets a lot easier. i am looking at getting a new shotgun so i can upgrade to the semi automatic family and am looking at the new stoger automatic shotguns that are made by benelli. any input that anyone could give me on that would be very appreciated. thanks!
turning green
Newb

Postby oldhunter » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:23 am

I got away from prestiege a long time ago for dependability and ease of maintaince.
It takes around 40 seconds to completly Disassemble my Nova Pump and about the same to reassemble it. Now I call that ease of use, and after a wet dirty hunting trip on the salt I put it in a tub of hot water and soap, then dry and lightly oil. You would be supprised of the gunk that comes out of the gun. This gun will probably last till I die and will probably wear out my son.
oldhunter
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:13 am

Nova for a BPS. Ahh man i needed a good laugh for today. Novas are alright to shoot...at! Those things rattle around and are soo loose. As for cleaning your BPS. Ya i got a 10 gauge BPS and it is very difficult to take apart and clean but just consider the great and quality made gun u get for it! Well worth any time u take to clean it. Better than owning a Nova!
:laughing:
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:52 pm

You can go to the Browning web site they have all the manuals.
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum