Duck Hunting Forum banner

Flight Ducks

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Weedwacker 
#1 ·
Winding down my second season of waterfowling and have a question on "flight" ducks.

I hunt central Southern Michigan -- small lakes and puddles -- and the ducks disappear in mid-November, which I assume means the local ducks have moved out and this area doesn't support "flight" ducks.

So where should I look for flight ducks? Do I need to focus on the Great Lakes shoreline and nearby inland waters, or should my sights be set smaller, like major river systems running up and down the state. Is this an example of a local or Michigan "fly way?"

Any direction is appreciated. Thanks for your help

#2 ·
From a post of mine just days ago, for your review.

Good luck on finding ANY birds.

: Mid-Season Update
by Weedwacker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:55 am

Just returned from 4 days of hunting the Grand Rapids area and it was again, terrible!!

A bit more divers Thursday and Friday, but no big pods of anything.

Put up 75-100 mallards near a campground, now how and why are they acting like LOCAL DOCK DUCKS??

This year I have seen more NON ETHICAL action by waterfowlers then I want to admit. three days in a row, had shooting 20 mins after closing. On two differant bodies of water guys out driving ducks with boats while some of thier hunting party waited on shore with decoys. And yesterday, watched 7 mallards go back into a creek, then minutes later a duck boat haul butt over there and guns were blazing off the bow of boat while guy in back was driving!!

I know it is slow for some, but these actions are not what I am teaching my son when it is tuff hunting. We managed a few each day and had a great time in the boat talking and enjoying the mornings.

Be safe, one more weekend in the South Zone and then we are done in Michigan..It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.