Any success for deer in California?

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Any success for deer in California?

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:30 pm

I had no success he in Cali but, I did go to Idaho this year and killed my first buck. He was a forkin horn, sorry but no pics. but a great story. Ok so, we got up the morning of October 16. We jumped on the quads and took off down the trail. We parked and hiked about 70 yards up a hill and saw some bucks but didn't shoot. To the left we saw som good 26 or 27 inch bucks. "Shoot the one in the front." My dad told me. Boom. I shot and saw dust just barely over his back. "Where did you aim?" My dad asked. "Well I thought that he was far enough to shoot over him so I did and that's where I hit." I told him. Then the buck came back out on the next ridge and my dad shot twice then his freind Mike shot and we heard a WHAP! but the deer kept going up hill. when he crested the ridge we saw that he only had one horn left. :lol: So we split up; my dad and I in one group and Mike and his step-son Hunter in the other. We got about 1/2 a mile from them and started heaing gunshots. We looked and saw a big buck that was pushing 30 inches wide. My dad shot at it 8 times and gave up. Mike shot ten and came really close a couple of times and he was about 1,000 yards from him. We went over the ridge we were on and watched a little while. Nothing. So we walked back over the ridge onto the trail and saw them across the drainage walking so we cut down through thick brush to the bottem and walked up to them. Hunter was set up on a buck that my dad and I apperantly walked within 20 yads of and never saw. He shot it and mike said, "Joe (My das name is Joe also) if you want you take Hunter to drag his buck down the hill and I'll take jr. over the ridge to the buck thats over there." "Alright, Here Joseph, take my gun incase it's a long shot." My dad said.
We walked up the ridge about 40 yards to see a buck bedded 218 yards from us. He didn't evev care about the gunshot. I belly-crawled to a spot where I could get a prone shot on him. I shot. "He's done. You smoked him." Mike told me. I jacked another shell in and looked back through my scope to see the buck was now standing but had blood all over his side. "Put him out." Mike said. I shot again but missed. I jacked another shell in The buck ran about 30 yards and stood behind a bush. I watched him through the scope so I could put him down if he left the bush. Then, the bush started moving and the buck fell out. dead as a door-nail :biggrin:. We dragged the buck down the hill over by Hunter's buck. Then he told us what hppened with his buck. "We were walking up to it and it wasn't 'movin breathin, nothin. then he jumped up and started chasing me down the hill." :lol: That was a good day.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Re: Any success for deer in California?

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:56 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:My dad shot at it 8 times and gave up. Mike shot ten

What kind of guns are you guys shooting? :huh:

Were you on 3-round burst or full auto?
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Jesus, it sounds like you guys missed more shots in one morning then I have in my lifetime... hell, it sounds like by a long shot (no pun intended) 10 shots at a deer 1000 yards away? You may have hit him all 10 times at that distance and the bullets just bounced off.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:30 pm

my dad was shoting a BOLT ACTION 257 Weatherby Magnum and Mike was shoting a BOLT ACTION 7mm STW. The stw is good out to around 1000 yards if you know how high to put the cross hairs. (So I was told.) My dad was shooting at about 600 yards with his weatherby. after they shot all the shots they thought about it and said it was stupid to shoot that far.
Last edited by ducks~n~bucks on Thu May 05, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:02 pm

7mm stw is a flat shooter, your dropping between 29-37 inches at 500 yards depending on the load. At a grand, lord only knows.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:52 pm

He had 1 shot go just under it's stomach.
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby quacktea » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:55 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:He had 1 shot go just under it's stomach.

Out of 10 shots how would he know he had 1 go just under it's stomach?? why not try to get a little closer to them? or wait for something that isn't as far away?
There's no business like show business, but there's no job like a blow job
quacktea
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:28 pm

I have no clue why my dad and him chose to shoot at them from that far. Well my dad was only 600 yards from the deer but that is still really far to shoot. Mike, the one shooting at 1,000 yards, shot and saw the dust just under his stomach and it was after my dad stopped shooting. I probably should have left out the part about my dad and his buddy shooting at that deer.
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby theycallmecoot » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:30 am

it sounds to me that you need to stop huntnig. 1) chasing deer on ATV's. . . .Is that really legal??? 2) Taking shots at 1000 yards. . . thats just ignorance. 3) 10+ shots. . .ridiculous. You all sound like you need to go to a hunters safety course. . .and need some common sense. Thats not hunting. . .just to let you know.
theycallmecoot
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Thu May 05, 2011 9:34 pm

theycallmecoot wrote:it sounds to me that you need to stop huntnig. 1) chasing deer on ATV's. . . .Is that really legal??? 2) Taking shots at 1000 yards. . . thats just ignorance. 3) 10+ shots. . .ridiculous. You all sound like you need to go to a hunters safety course. . .and need some common sense. Thats not hunting. . .just to let you know.

1) We weren't chasing them on atvs, there just happened to be deer right up the hill when we hiked. 2) I did not take any 1000 yard shots, one of the guys hunting with me did. And I never said I agreed with it, I just mentioned the fact that it happend. I shot a total of 3 times that trip, once, at a buck that I misjudged the distance and shot a little high. The next, shooting my buck, AND KILLING IT WITH THAT SHOT. The third, when my buck was standing after I shot it I tryed to put him down but missed. Don't tell me I'm not an ethical hunter because of a shot SOMEONE ELSE I WAS HUNTING WITH took. :mad: :mad: :mad:
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Return to Big Game