feild set up ???

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

feild set up ???

Postby MJO21 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:11 pm

I found a corp of engineers field that is about 100yards from the Missouri river. This field was planted in corn then it flooded in the spring. They plowed it under and replanted, then it went under again so they gave up for the year. Some of the corn still came up but none of it was harvested, the stalks were very short and weak so almost all of them have fallen or been blown over. Any way there is a lot of corn just laying out in the field. I assume that this would be a good place to set up. My question is this about the dekes. I do not have any full body standers or anything for a field. Could I use the floaters that I do have?

Thanks,
MJO
MJO21
hunter

Re: feild set up ???

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:30 pm

MJO,
Sure you could use your floaters. They be a pain in the butt to carry in, but you'll need to make sure the are propped up and not flopped over on their side. If it's muddy, you may be able to push the keel down enough to make em stand up. A quick solution may be to get you some of those stiff wire frames that they put political signs or cheap real estate or "for sale" signs on. Take at least an 18" piece,(24"would be better) bend it in a "U" shape, then take about the top 4 or 5 inches of the closed end and bend it down to make a slot that the keel would fit in and stick the support into the ground and drop the keel into the slot. It'll keep the floater upright.

Shoot em in the lips! Good luck!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting