Beretta AL391 vs Benelli M2

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Beretta AL391 vs Benelli M2

Postby ihuntducks » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:22 pm

Which one of these guns would you rather have? I know they are both great guns but if you had to choose one.......
hold still.....................hold still........................ TAKE 'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:29 pm

yes a lot alike but in chooseing one the benelli is the one i would choose has more features and is lighter... benelli is really excelling in the shotguning world
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cast-n-blast » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:59 pm

I own a 390 & it outperforms my friends brother's SBE every time. I paid less than $500 for it NIB. That is less than half the amount he paid for his Binelli. From what I hear, the 391 Urika & Xtrema are a little nicer as far as comfort & look, but all shoot similar. For me, not worth the extra $$$.
Just my $.02 :toofunny:
"Hippies...They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

"If God didn't want us to shoot animals...then why'd he make 'em out of meat?"
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby Hunten E Guy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:58 pm

Benelli is deffinitly the way to go they are great guns :thumbsup:
Hunten E Guy
hunter

Postby BullCanBuster » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:54 am

I own a Beretta A390, my dad has a benelli. Go to the store and ask the gunsmith to take them apart, including the trigger for cleaning - then make your decision. Beretta was specifically made to be a duck gun, do is the black eagle. I bought my gun when they first came out in 1994 - I have had no problems jamming, cold weather, shell ejection, etc.

What it really comes down to is personal choice, and by that I mean what best fits you - each brand has a different rise and length of stock, and one best fits each guy's body profile. Even better, if you have friends who own them, take them to the trap range and thest them out. I know some guys who could shoot awesomw with their old 870, and then bought a new expeensive semi-auto, and couldn't hit crap...

Either choice will make you happy, as long as you can hit the target!
Take The Drake, and watch them crumple!!!

BullCanBuster
BullCanBuster
Newb

Postby BENELLIMANKY » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:44 pm

Look at my name.

heheheh!
BENELLIMANKY
hunter

Postby BLKLABMAN » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:20 pm

Both are great shotguns. The only dowside to the 391 is the problems with the piston and carrier. I have seen several fail in SC Tournaments here lately.
If I had to choose one it would be the M2.
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Do some research!

Postby X2durable » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:27 pm

X2 durable = twice as durable.

I'll point any person in the market for a new "do-all" shotgun towards the Winchester Super X2. As a person that truly needed a shotgun for everything (deer, turkey, geese, ducks, pheasants, quail, doves, sporting clays, etc), I didn't need to buy 3 or 4 different guns. So I made the best gun purchase I ever made!

Ok...here's the story on the Winchester Super X2. In 1999, the X2 was introduced by Winchester. As most of you know...the investors at Browning bought Winchester and decided to expand upon their already successful rifle line. As I understand it, a gentleman by the name of Jose Rousseau was the project leader responsible for the reintroduction of auto-shotguns to Winchester. This auto-shotgun (Super X2) was to be based off of the already proven Browning Gold. The Browning Gold is a good gun, however, during development, financial constraints did not allow the project team to design "the gun of all guns" that they felt needed to be built. With few financial constraints enacted upon then, and using the Browning Gold as a "base", the project team built "the gun of all guns", the Super X2.

My first trip to Canada w/ the Super X2 was accompanied by an Rem 11-87, (2) Benelli SBE, & Beretta 391. I'm sure that most of you know what the conditions are like in Canada. The 3" and 3.5" shells are enough, but It's amazing...You can actually be standing in mud while dirt is blowing in your face. It's rough going for ANY gun. Long story short, after two hours of hard pounding, one Benelli and the Beretta were in pieces on the floorboard of the truck. Good news is we got them working later that evening after a good cleaning. The next day both Benelli's, the Beretta, and the 11-87 went down. We took them apart, cleaned them, and we were back in action. Needless to say the X2, with dirt, straw, and mud hanging from the receiver kept hammering away.

My second trip to Canada was basically a repeat of year one. This time, I took a back-up. Before leaving, I bought a 2nd brand new Super X2. I knew how frustrated my friends were when their guns went down, and I wasn't going to let this happen to me. After tearing down his Benellis SBE for the third time in three hours, my buddy came to me and asked if it'd be alright if he borrowed my second X2 (still in the box). No problem..they're meant to be shot, right??? Needless to say, that was the last shot he ever fired through the Benelli. He traded up for an X2 when we got back to the States.

Shotgun Speed!!!!
You hear it all the time, and every gun manufacturer has a trick shooter that tells you how fast their shotgun is. Well, I found an article called "Speed Shotgun" by Patrick Kelley. All excerpts below are from this article. Interesting stuff regarding the cycle times of stock shotguns.

Remington 1100/11-87 = "Shot-to-shot speed stops at 14 hundredths. While it is possible to pull the trigger faster, the disconnect will not reset until the bolt is fully closed."

Benelli M1 Super 90 = " 13 hundredths of a second. That's it. Any faster, and the hammer follows the bolt. Some of the testing I have on video tape documents 11 of the aforementioned hammer follows in 50 rounds fired. For all that fanfare, "the world's fastest shotgun" is one lousy hundredth faster than the Remington 1100."

Browning Auto 5 (let's face it, there's a ton of these out there, and don't you want to know where your gun stacks up?) = " the Browning Auto 5 proved itself to be faster than the "world's fastest cycling shotgun," leaving the Benelli buried in its empty hulls." Spooky huh? 1900 technology faster than 2000 technology??? Marketing is an amazing thing isn't it?

Browning Gold/Super X2 (these are grouped together because the cycling action of the guns are identical) = 11 hundredths of a second. In fact... "Idaho state police officer David Neth....(fired off) five shots in 51 hundredths! The splits were three .13's and one .12. This gun is full auto fast! By the way, this was with Federal 00 buck. No, not the low recoil stuff, this was Federal MAX 2 3/4 Classic."

Interesting stuff.... Winchester Super X2 Reliable (see Canada story above), Fast (see #'s above), Easy Maintenance (I blow it out w/ an air hose after every hunt, and Scotch Brite the powder build up).

Have fun and happy hunting!
X2durable
Newb

Postby BLKLABMAN » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:25 am

After hunting here, AL SD,ND ,Canada and Argentina.(we use rental guns) our experiences with the Winchester/Browning vs Benelli thing are as different as night and day.
I've seen more Golds and X-2's crap out while hunting than anything else. I sold an X2 after only owning it for 3 months. But granted for SC I have yet to see an 11-87 finish a 250 round course.
And dont even get me statarted about that coke can tin crap of a receiver Browning uses. After owning them for 2 years, my BGH 3.5 and especially my BGH SC looked like they had been thru WWIII. The receiver at the back of the ejection port was beat to living heck from ejecting rounds. Not only had a ridge formed, but the tin they use was actaully starting to fold back with lines coming off of it. A buddy had the same problem with his. Plus even in great condition they(Browning Winchester) have a VERY low re-sale value on the secondary market. As a result of everything mentioned above, they have lost my business. Atleast on semi-auto's. I still love the BPS.
Just my .02. Speed is overrated and used simply for marketing. It really doesnt matter for hunting or big money SC. Fact is when hunting or shooting an SC Tournament on the second shot, I will actually move the shotgun out of the shoulder for just a second then get back on. Even with report doubles. I've won Alot more money after an English shooter suggested I try this method.
Its good we have these Forums to be able to talk and discuss, and to see that people are having postive experiences with these shotguns. :salude:
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum