Goodbye to Ford

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Re: Goodbye to Ford

Postby ajmorell » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:38 am

jehler wrote:
huntall6 wrote: if you do serious hauling then more than likely, you are going to want a manual.

not after you drive a duramax/Allison combo. I was blown away when I got one

I'm not bashing the Allison, but it really does bother me that because it has the Allison name on it people think it is some amazing transmission. As far as I'm concerned none of the automatics behind any of the diesels out there are bullet-proof or particularly stout. If you want to talk about a stout transmission check out ATS or Suncoast. From the factory the Ford TorqShift has the highest ratings with regard to the power input it can withstand.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Goodbye to Ford

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:05 am

I could give a s**t what name is on it or how much power it can take. It takes the power my engine puts out and when I push the trailer button and tow my tool trailer and bigger boats it shifts better than I would with a standard. It downshifts going down grades, it keeps it right in the powerband when excelerating, why more could you ask for? You guys that think standards are the end all beat all should try snowplowing, you might change your mind
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby ajmorell » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:51 am

jehler wrote:I could give a s**t what name is on it or how much power it can take. It takes the power my engine puts out and when I push the trailer button and tow my tool trailer and bigger boats it shifts better than I would with a standard. It downshifts going down grades, it keeps it right in the powerband when excelerating, why more could you ask for? You guys that think standards are the end all beat all should try snowplowing, you might change your mind

Nowhere did I say the Allison was a bad transmission, simply that I didn't think it was the best auto available. For a stock diesel truck it will handle damn near anything you throw at it unless you are abusing it....sorry I was just stating my opinion :rolleyes:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:52 am

jehler wrote:I could give a s**t what name is on it or how much power it can take. It takes the power my engine puts out and when I push the trailer button and tow my tool trailer and bigger boats it shifts better than I would with a standard. It downshifts going down grades, it keeps it right in the powerband when excelerating, why more could you ask for? You guys that think standards are the end all beat all should try snowplowing, you might change your mind

and for the record, defeating the censor is a no-no. I've edited your original post but keep it in mind from now on
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Goodbye to Ford

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:04 pm

ajmorell wrote:
and for the record, defeating the censor is a no-no. I've edited your original post but keep it in mind from now on

Sorry boss, figured if we could use four letter words like ford anything goes
jehler

Postby ajmorell » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:12 pm

jehler wrote:
ajmorell wrote:

Sorry boss, figured if we could use four letter words like ford anything goes

:lol:
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Wolfe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:12 pm

I'll take the one that the US Government didn't bail out.
Wolfe
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:04 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:Got a 03 Ford Expedition with 142,000 on it with no problems...

hasnt had the heater core start leaking yet? burn a quart of oil every 2 weeks? had the wiring harness wear through the wires? needed new sway bar links because they BROKE? locks still work? very rear vent windows still open? needed a new tranny at 80k?? that most of the problems with my mom's 99' expedtion within the past 5 years, she's owned it scince new, and it currently has 158k miles on it.

so much for "built ford tough"

Ha ha - show me a chevy that the rack and pinion didn't rattle like crap????? Never seen one.

I have driven both ford and chevy. I own a chevy right now, just put a new transmission in it at 134,000. Last Chevy a new transfer case(03 duramax, guarenteed every one went out at or near 100,000, GM even acknowledges the problem and says tough luck). They both make good products and ford was able to do it without the help of the government........ Wife put 220,000 miles on an 08 Ford F150 without anything more than regular scheduled maintenance. That thing road more quiet and soft than any GM product I ever owned.

To the OP - It is a little unfair to take a vehicle that is nearly 7 years old and compare it to a brand new vehicle isn't it???
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:48 pm

dad has 279k miles on his 01 duramax and the front end has never been touched, and has no play in the steering, and the only things that have been replaced are shocks, brakes, oil, and injectors.

brother has 83k miles on his 08 duramax and hes pushing over 650rwhp with 35in trail grapplers and not a single thing that has been replaced other than he put diffrent tranny internals in it.

my 00 2500 w/ 6.0L has 177k miles and has very little steering play and what I do have is due to my 37in tires, and doesnt have any problems other than I've had to replace ball joints and a hub due to having 9in of lift and 37's.

come check out the other 7 GM trucks in my imediate family that have no problems.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Goodbye to Ford

Postby jehler » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:14 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:dad has 279k miles on his 01 duramax and the front end has never been touched

my 08 duramax has 58k miles on it and the front end has been touched twice, once completely rebuilt and mounts rewelded to the frame. To deny the chevy front end is it's weak link is ignorance plain an simple
jehler

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:53 pm

03 Ram Diesel c/w manual 6 speed and 335,000 kms. It came exactly how I ordered it and plows snow all winter, been across the continent 5 times towing a 10K trailer. Replaced the front end with a free wheeling kit and aside from tires and brakes and one exhaust system it's been a great WORK truck.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Goodbye to Ford

Postby jehler » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:21 pm

lostknife4 wrote:03 Ram Diesel c/w manual 6 speed and 335,000 kms. It came exactly how I ordered it and plows snow all winter, been across the continent 5 times towing a 10K trailer. Replaced the front end with a free wheeling kit and aside from tires and brakes and one exhaust system it's been a great WORK truck.

How's the rust? My last two trucks were dodges, trannies and rust were issues. Otherwise I liked them, tough and unstoppable. How many drives do you plow lost, I plow about 30 accounts and three roads, I have used a manual and hated it for plowing, like going to the gym!
jehler

Postby huntall6 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:48 pm

They all have their problems. I will stick with my 97 f-350 for a long time. You boys have your choices but, I wouldnt buy newer than an '03 in any heavy pickup. I like to be able to work on most thing without a computer. MOST THINGS!
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:36 am

jehler wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:03 Ram Diesel c/w manual 6 speed and 335,000 kms. It came exactly how I ordered it and plows snow all winter, been across the continent 5 times towing a 10K trailer. Replaced the front end with a free wheeling kit and aside from tires and brakes and one exhaust system it's been a great WORK truck.

How's the rust? My last two trucks were dodges, trannies and rust were issues. Otherwise I liked them, tough and unstoppable. How many drives do you plow lost, I plow about 30 accounts and three roads, I have used a manual and hated it for plowing, like going to the gym!

No rust at all because I get it Rust Checked every year, I usually keep these pick ups, 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4's for 20 years or at least I have in the past. When my son turned 16 I gave him a 1300 1 ton IHC 4x4 with No-Spins front and rear and a 15 ton Braden winch frame mounted on the rear, the truck looked like new even though it was the same age as he was at the time, it had 4.88:1 gearing and 7.50-17" wheels. So far the Ram is doing great. My driveway to the farm is 2000+ ft and then there is the yard to open up and my commercial customers. When the snow really builds up I use my Payloader, a 65 Hough, to push the banks back. I used to plow the driveway with a D6C Cat dozer and push the ssnow right off the road and down into the ditches. The first Ice storm and all the cars and trucks were in the ditches so I now leave a windrow of snow at the edge of the road to keep everything out of the ditches. 22 driveways and a couple of roads, driveways are a pain in the butt but they pay well. You're right that the manual transmoccasins are a work out and if I wasn't using this truck primarily as a long distance hauler I would go with an automatic. I like the manual especially in the diesel as the engine has lots of torque and will try to maintain 1000 rpms or so by itself. Automatics are faster, especially in reverse and directional changes are quick but most of my customers have long driveways, country folk, so it's not as bad as it sounds for me anyway.. What I like about the truck is that it looks ugly and was never in "style", it's still ugly so it will never go out of "style", LOL ............. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:15 am

jehler wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:dad has 279k miles on his 01 duramax and the front end has never been touched

my 08 duramax has 58k miles on it and the front end has been touched twice, once completely rebuilt and mounts rewelded to the frame. To deny the chevy front end is it's weak link is ignorance plain an simple

not denying that its not weak or isnt the best, IMO IFS blows. But I can honestly say that my dad's truck has never had a ball joint, tie rod end, hub, or any other front end part replaced, nor has he ever had an alignment. and It still drives like the day it rolled off the lot in '01. and he isn't nice to it either its pulled a 32k lb trailer, and tows for our masonary company weekly.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:06 am

IMHO automatics are great for "some" applications but not long haul trucking. All my heavy equipment except for one D4C cat dozer are/were "automatics" with load sensed hydraulic drives in the excavators. If you have a lot of start stop forward reverse shuttle type operations then auto is the way to go but for long haul heavy loads then the standards are the only transmoccasins to use. I've yet to see any long haul tractor trailers with automatics, Allison or others. No doubt some are used but I've never seen any. In the hands of someone who knows how to use them over the long haul the standards have better durability and control. I hate ABS brakes in slush and mud and gravel roads but some people think they are the greatest invention since the wheel. It's like flying IFR in the fog, only the experts can do that and live. Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:dad has 279k miles on his 01 duramax and the front end has never been touched, and has no play in the steering, and the only things that have been replaced are shocks, brakes, oil, and injectors.

brother has 83k miles on his 08 duramax and hes pushing over 650rwhp with 35in trail grapplers and not a single thing that has been replaced other than he put diffrent tranny internals in it.

my 00 2500 w/ 6.0L has 177k miles and has very little steering play and what I do have is due to my 37in tires, and doesnt have any problems other than I've had to replace ball joints and a hub due to having 9in of lift and 37's.

come check out the other 7 GM trucks in my imediate family that have no problems.

LB7 motors were so bad about injectors that chevy had to warrant them to 200k. My '03 had the oil pump failure in the transfer case also. How are those tie rods holding up in your brothers truck during boosted launches? My first dmax had a weak front end. When you backed up it looked like the wheels on a shopping cart.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:03 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:dad has 279k miles on his 01 duramax and the front end has never been touched, and has no play in the steering, and the only things that have been replaced are shocks, brakes, oil, and injectors.

LB7 motors were so bad about injectors that chevy had to warrant them to 200k. My '03 had the oil pump failure in the transfer case also. How are those tie rods holding up in your brothers truck during boosted launches? My first dmax had a weak front end. When you backed up it looked like the wheels on a shopping cart.

I know about the injectors and the snap ring in the transfer case breaking, its happened to my cousin in his 02, and it was fixed under warrnty. GM has the balls to back their stuff up to 200k and all of the powertrian to 100k standard. but my brother has the Cognito steering strengthing parts that came with his Cognito lift.

PS pops just hit 283k miles on his duramax. still running like a champ.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:43 pm

I've got a 6.0 vortec with 336,000 miles. I have faith in Chevys. Cognate makes good stuff also. I think they dropped the ball a little on the ifs on the hd trucks. My transfer case was under warranty also, but I know a lot that weren't. GM should've done a recall for that. I think the warranty deal with the injectors was more covering their ass than being ballsy. I've always been a chevy fan and came from a chevy family. They all have their faults. I just didn't find as many with my super duty.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 am

I do belive that the ifs in the HD trucks was a big mistake! one day mine will have a solid axle front!

as you can tell I come from a Chevy family and Im sure I will always be loyal to GM, but I do not "hate" on Ford and Cummins powered trucks after being old enough now to drive and have experince with them, IMO every truck has great things about it, as well as bad. infact I have a 2000 Dodge 3500 with a cummins/5spd combo for a work truck and love it!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby handyandy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 am

The suspensions on newer half ton trucks suck to many people are buying trucks that don't need them and complain about ride quality due stiff suspensions on older ones meant to have a load to soften them. Manufacturers listen to make them ride smoother like a car they put soft springs on the trucks that can't hold crap for a load. The new F150's after the first year of them they starting putting new springs on them because if you got on the engine hard there was enough torque from the axle trying spin and the springs were soft enough that pinion would rotate up causing the U-joint to make a clunking noise. The newer trucks do have engines that make pleanty of power to tow most anything. Hell the new eco boost engines in the fords make amazing power and have a great really flat torque curve that peaks at pretty low RPM's I have seen one run on a dyno they are impressive especially given that not even ten years ago 300hp was a big deal for a factory cummins 3/4ton to 1 ton Dodge. The eco boost I had on a dyno made around 370hp and over 420ft/lbs of torque. I just think its dumb that you can get these powerful engines now that can haul a lot of weight but the trucks just don't have the suspension for it. If you really haul with any newer truck you gotta either change the springs or put air bag helper springs in. To many people expect a truck to be a luxury vehicle have people forgotten what a truck is and what it's for. Yeah some creature comforts are nice but a truck isn't suppose to be a cadillac that floats down the road.

Congrats on the new purchase the 5.3 engines are good engines and can last a long time if maintained well. I a old boss of mine had a tahoe with a 5.3 with 180xxx some miles on it. It was abused to say the least he used it for land scaping always over loaded the trailer he pulled with it. The only thing that happened to it was he put in 3/4 suburban springs in it to support the heavy weight and the transmission crapped out around 160xxx but that was from all the abuse it got every day hauling more than it was ever intended to and I doubt he changed the filter and fluid in the tranny as much as he should. I imagine he would still be using it had it not gotten t boned by a person running a light.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:50 pm

My company van, a 2011 ford E350, has just over 60,000 and the AC is gone, the front suspension rattles like crazy and it is starting to shift funny until it warms up. One sun visor broke off (at one month old) and both battery treminals are corroded almost off the post of the motorcraft battery. None of this should be happening to a heavy duty vehicle this new especially one that has never hauled anything or carried a heavy load. but it still starts right up and goes down the road from job to job, at least for now :yes: :yes: :yes:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:My company van, a 2011 ford E350, has just over 60,000 and the AC is gone, the front suspension rattles like crazy and it is starting to shift funny until it warms up. One sun visor broke off (at one month old) and both battery treminals are corroded almost off the post of the motorcraft battery. None of this should be happening to a heavy duty vehicle this new especially one that has never hauled anything or carried a heavy load. but it still starts right up and goes down the road from job to job, at least for now :yes: :yes: :yes:

every motorcraft bettery I've seen looks like its 10 years old, very corroded, and needs to be replaced.

Handyandy- all the new half ton trucks are ment to ride good because they are now being used more and more as family vehicles and soccer mom vans........ and they usually dont tow anything more than their family's riding mower or atv. so companies can get away with having such soft suspension on 1/2ton trucks. now if you look at 3/4 and 1ton trucks they still ride kinda stiff, but still smoother than they used to and they can handle the hauling of pretty big loads on 100% stock suspension no problem. thus I'm sticking to a 3/4ton when I get my next truck.

whats also funny is Ford's ecoboost engine is DEtuned from the factory so its not out performing their 6.2L V8 :lol: given the 6.2L still pulls a load much better, the 3.6L v6 will out run it all day long. little motors perform very well with boost.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:14 pm

I've had to air bag my F250 so I will be moving up to an F350 next time. IFS still sucks.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Re: Re: Goodbye to Ford

Postby ajmorell » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:17 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:My company van, a 2011 ford E350, has just over 60,000 and the AC is gone, the front suspension rattles like crazy and it is starting to shift funny until it warms up. One sun visor broke off (at one month old) and both battery treminals are corroded almost off the post of the motorcraft battery. None of this should be happening to a heavy duty vehicle this new especially one that has never hauled anything or carried a heavy load. but it still starts right up and goes down the road from job to job, at least for now :yes: :yes: :yes:

every motorcraft bettery I've seen looks like its 10 years old, very corroded, and needs to be replaced.

Handyandy- all the new half ton trucks are ment to ride good because they are now being used more and more as family vehicles and soccer mom vans........ and they usually dont tow anything more than their family's riding mower or atv. so companies can get away with having such soft suspension on 1/2ton trucks. now if you look at 3/4 and 1ton trucks they still ride kinda stiff, but still smoother than they used to and they can handle the hauling of pretty big loads on 100% stock suspension no problem. thus I'm sticking to a 3/4ton when I get my next truck.

whats also funny is Ford's ecoboost engine is DEtuned from the factory so its not out performing their 6.2L V8 :lol: given the 6.2L still pulls a load much better, the 3.6L v6 will out run it all day long. little motors perform very well with boost.

Actually I haven't heard a single person who's driven both say the 6.2 pulls better. I think the ecoboost may be a bit over hyped but if you put the same load behind both and put them along side each other the ecoboost will out pull the 6.2

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Vehicle forum