Any good knife recommendations?

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Any good knife recommendations?

Postby Bano11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:58 am

i recently bought a kershaw elk skinner. i cleaned out a couple of rabbits with it, and last week i tried to gut an antelope and the knife just would not cut. my buddy highly recommends schrade knives and says buck knives are too hard to sharpen. any other recommendations/opinions out there? i would like a knife that is durable, easy to sharpen, and will hold its edge.
Bano11
hunter

Re: Any good knife recommendations?

Postby side-slippin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 am

knifes of alaska, been using them for 4 yrs now; no complaints
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby wooly bugger » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Last year I bought a knife from my nephew who was selling them to make money for college. The brand he was selling was Cut Co. Since then I have gutted over 20 deer, skinned and boned out about a dozen and breasted out dozens of geese and ducks and it is still razor sharp. They are guaranteed for life and the company has been around for a long time. The only problem is when it does have to be sharpened you have to send it back to them for a nominal fee.So far this knife has not let me down at all.
wooly bugger
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm

I have worked through a lot of animals with a Knives of Alaska "alpha wolf". I love that knife. It holds an edge really well and isn't too hard to bring back up to razor sharp. I can get through an entire elk without sharpening it.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby sharris » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:30 pm

The easiest knife to sharpen is from Havalon knives...you just throw out and replace the dull blade. The big disadvantage is the blades are thin and can break easily. BTW there is nothing wrong with the knife you got. You just need to get a good sharpening system and keep your blade sharp. I use an oil stone when I want a really good edge, and a diamond steel when I am in a hurry. If you've sharpened your knife before you take it out hunting there is no reason why it would have a problem skinning an antelope.
sharris
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:11 pm

wooly bugger wrote:Last year I bought a knife from my nephew who was selling them to make money for college. The brand he was selling was Cut Co. Since then I have gutted over 20 deer, skinned and boned out about a dozen and breasted out dozens of geese and ducks and it is still razor sharp. They are guaranteed for life and the company has been around for a long time. The only problem is when it does have to be sharpened you have to send it back to them for a nominal fee.So far this knife has not let me down at all.

I have 4 of their fillet knives and one of their hunting knives. They aren't the prettiest knives but they are the nastiest. When you get the fillet knife blades back from the factory they are scary, got a nice scar on my palm from one. If you want sharp, its the way to go. Cut Co is also very good about backing up their products. After about 5,000 trout and salmon and hundreds of panfish & walleyes I've never broken a blade but I understand if you do you send the pieces in and you get a new blade in the mail.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Cut Co & Dexter Russel are both great names - good steel. I have Dexterfor myfilet knives and my dad has a Cut Co.

Buck is a little tougher to sharpen but holds the edge well. Made in USA. I just picked up a Vanguard model with gut hook - very nice knife.

Case is also made in USA and a good knife - carbon steel on many mdels - sharpens easily and holds well.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby jhend08 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:25 pm

You need to check out Havalon knives. The best knife I have ever owned. Always razor sharp and precise, and when it gets dull you just pop the blade off and snap on another. They are awesome.
jhend08
hunter

Postby steelslinger86 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 am

Make: Gerber
Model: Gatorback

Great knife, it's my big game knife, and it has never let me down. Stout locking blade, razor sharp, and rubberized handle for great grip when your hands are bloody.
steelslinger86
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 am

I must have looked at over 2000 knives trying to find one that liked with no luck. So do what I did....design your own and have a knife maker build it for you. The guy that built mine was Kieth Russel from Vicksburg, MI. I had him make one for my dad also and charged me $300 for both with custom leather sheaths. I had him make it out of tool steel because it holds an edge better than stainless, the blade is 9 1/2" long and 3/16" thick with South American Padauk handle. It also has a notch to use on a flint rod to start a fire. I can do everything from dressing and skinning animals, to building a shelter and starting fires. So if you know what you want but can't find it, get a hold of a custom knife maker, or get a hold of Kieth. I believe his website is www.keekerknives.com if i remember right.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:27 am

Hunting / skinning: Id vote for the Swingblade by outdoor edge, wife bought me the saw / knife set and I am extremely satisfied. Yet I will still get a Knives of Alaska blade someday (im low budget)

General use: I have both a standard Kbar USMC type and a Gerber LMF which both have proven to be pretty bombproof.

Folders: I've always carried Kershaw, yet when I procured a Benchmade I switched sides. I still carry a kershaw, yet when Im on duty I carry my Benchmade auto - opener, which is the toughest (and coolest) folder I've had.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri May 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Above and beyond the choice of knife is the importance of a good sharpening system. Any knife will cut when sharp...some stay sharper than others and some are easier to sharpen while others take a bit more time/effort. Regadless of the make or model (Buck, Gerber, Kershaw, Browning, Benchmade, etc all make some GOOD knives) the trick is to have and properly use a good sharpening tool or system to maintain the knife's edge.

Personally I would get a knife that has the features, shape, weight and feel you like and get a Lansky sharpening system to maintain the edge. Even a sheaper model that might take a bit to get an initial sharp edge can be easily maintained with a Lansky...plus it is awesome for kitchen and pocket knives as well.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Bano11 wrote:i recently bought a kershaw elk skinner. i cleaned out a couple of rabbits with it, and last week i tried to gut an antelope and the knife just would not cut. my buddy highly recommends schrade knives and says buck knives are too hard to sharpen. any other recommendations/opinions out there? i would like a knife that is durable, easy to sharpen, and will hold its edge.

That describes my kershaw vaporlock to a T, best knife I have ever owned, Including Buck, Schrade, and Case
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby shootable Goose » Mon May 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Knife of Alaska elk hunters edition. Great knife
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby fowled out » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:06 am

i love my cutco serrated.... i just keep forgetting to send it back to be sharpened.
living the dream..........maybe not mine....but it works.
fowled out
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:18 am

fowled out wrote:i love my cutco serrated.... i just keep forgetting to send it back to be sharpened.

I got one of those too. Not the sexiest knife out there but gets the job done for sure.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Big Game