Dehydrated Jerky Recipies

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Whats the best way to eat duck?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:53 pm

Jerky
No votes
Fried
33%
Grilled
67%

Total votes : 6

Dehydrated Jerky Recipies

Postby duckplucker » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:53 pm

Alright, i know there are probably tons of jerky recipies around, but i cant seem to find ANY of them. Anyhow, if any of you could give me some ideas, i'd greatly appreciate it. I have the stuff to bake it in the oven, or a dehydrator, and would really prefer dehydrator recipies. I'm no chef, so the higher quality the directions, the better. Thanks for your help!!! :thumbsup:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:20 am

I have never heard of duck jerky until I got on this site last summer and started conversing with these yankees(joking). So I made a couple batches and personally I use regular jerky seasoning that I buy from bass pro and I can barely tell the difference between duck and beef.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby 2 tollers » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:20 pm

I use the jerky cure / seasoning blends picked up at the camping / outdoor stores for about $8 Cdn. The pks say they are good for 15 lbs but I have found using them at that mixture is to salty for me - so I go to 1 pkg for about 20 lbs. They also recommend marinating for 24 hours but I find it is better after 48 hrs. You have to use glass containers for the marinating period. If you get the pepper or cajun mixes they are mild so you will need to add seasoning.
You do not have to mix all the cure and seasoning at once but you have to keep the left over cure sealed in a bag.
I make jerky in the oven using my wifes cookie sheets and baking grates. Oven set at 200F for about 2 hours with meat at 1/4 inch - leave longer if you want drier. I like mine moist so either thicker strips or shorter time in the oven.
My buddy uses a dehydrator with the same cure packages. Takes a little longer.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:44 pm

Thanks for the help - do you buy a seasoning/cure package specially designed for goose/duck, or do you just buy the regular stuff for beef/venison/whatever?
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:40 am

I use both and have not found any difference. I have 1 pkg for snow geese - it has a maple cure. Have not tried this one yet, but as I got a bunch of whites at the end of the year so I will be trying this sometime soon.
2 tollers
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking