electric smoker?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

electric smoker?

Postby norcalweaz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:35 pm

i just got an electric smoker and was wondering if anyone uses one and what style or type of wood chip they would recomend. thanks.
norcalweaz
hunter

Re: electric smoker?

Postby duckin-A » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:51 pm

particle board or leaves works great.................cheap & plentiful.

or mesquite, hickory.....
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:52 pm

um....no. Wouldnt recommend either particle board or leaves, would probably end up with a bitter or harsh taste, and who knows what chemicals in the particle board. My suggestion would be Apple, Pecan, or maple chips for a lighter sweet smoke and hickory or mesquite for a more intense smoke flavor. I own both eletric and charcoal/wood style barrel smoker and use all of the above woods in both. good luck! :thumbsup:
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby norcalweaz » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:06 pm

thanks for the tips. i just havnt used my electric smoke yet it was a gift. how do you like it? better or worse than the classic?
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:47 am

Mine works just fine....especially for smaller stuff and its a hella of alot quicker and easier to maintian the temp. BUT...nothing beats the char/crust and flavor you get from cooking over real wood IMO.
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:01 pm

WoodDuck21 wrote:Mine works just fine....especially for smaller stuff and its a hella of alot quicker and easier to maintian the temp. BUT...nothing beats the char/crust and flavor you get from cooking over real wood IMO.

an electic smoker is like a slap in the face to BBQ............jk man. haha
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby norcalweaz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:37 pm

hah yeah it kind of is a slap in the face to old fashioned bbq but hey i made some pretty good jerky and it took a little less than 2 hours in the smoker.
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby NYGOOSEHUNTER » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:30 am

Might I make a small suggestion......Before you smoke some wildgame that you worked hard to harvest, run a cycle thru the smoker first. Essentially smoke with no meat in it. When these smkers are made(probably overseas) they coat everything with oil to prevent rust, etc. this includes the element. If you don't do this, your first batch will not taste too good. It's kinda of like seasoning cast iron, everything tastes better when its seasoned. Also, invest in a good remote thermometer, so you can keep an eye on the temp w/out having to run outside every 5 minutes.

Have Fun and Happy Smoking!!!
"CALL ME AARON BURR...CAUSE I'M DROPPIN' HAMILTONS!!"
NYGOOSEHUNTER
hunter

Postby Jgdavis123 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:41 am

Coat the inside walls of the smoker with veg. oil before using it. Not a ton, just a light coat.
Jgdavis123
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:31 am

yea i was jk with ya man...............bbq has been in my family since WWII..........and i might end up taking over the family business............we have 3 pits........all of em are charcoal..........but hey if it works good then all power to ya. :thumbsup:
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 am

NYGOOSEHUNTER wrote:Might I make a small suggestion......Before you smoke some wildgame that you worked hard to harvest, run a cycle thru the smoker first. Essentially smoke with no meat in it. When these smkers are made(probably overseas) they coat everything with oil to prevent rust, etc. this includes the element. If you don't do this, your first batch will not taste too good. It's kinda of like seasoning cast iron, everything tastes better when its seasoned. Also, invest in a good remote thermometer, so you can keep an eye on the temp w/out having to run outside every 5 minutes.

That is good advice for almost any smoker. I did that with my wood smoker before I put meat in it, and the first thing I tried to smoke was pork ribs, since they tend to be more forgiving than most.

Also, the wireless/remote thermometers are a must for any smoker as well. Again, I use a wood smoker and I can monitor temps from inside the house while making sides or watching TV.

I know there are many purists out there, which is why I got a wood smoker, but I have often wanted a small electric for things like smoking fish, sausage, and jerky. IDK that I could ever smoke ribs or brisket on one, but I think it would be handy to have.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 am

NYGOOSEHUNTER wrote:Might I make a small suggestion......Before you smoke some wildgame that you worked hard to harvest, run a cycle thru the smoker first. Essentially smoke with no meat in it. When these smkers are made(probably overseas) they coat everything with oil to prevent rust, etc. this includes the element. If you don't do this, your first batch will not taste too good. It's kinda of like seasoning cast iron, everything tastes better when its seasoned. Also, invest in a good remote thermometer, so you can keep an eye on the temp w/out having to run outside every 5 minutes.

Great advice i did it with my and it works great. I use my for my pheasants and wild turkeys. :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 am

The biggest advantage of an electric smoker is being able to maintain a constant temp. They work pretty good.

I like the taste of a charcoal and wood smoker best.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Doyle Tobel » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:51 am

Electric is nice because of ease, temp and time. I have a electric I got at Lowes, seals tight and does a great job so far. I like to use my grill to get a nice sear then I smoke..... It is nice for spur of the moments meals...but it is hard to beat smoking over wood chunks!
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 am

I have an electric smoker and I use it for everything. Plug it in and walk away. Ducks, turkeys, fish, venison, everything but BBQ! There is a special place in hell reserved for people who make BBQ in an electric smoker. :lol:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking