Maxus Misfire?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Maxus Misfire?

Postby OkDuckHunter44 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:04 pm

I just bought a Maxus earlier this month. Love the gun, been a blast to shoot. I've put roughly 10 boxes of shells through it. Mix of Winchester XPert 3inch #3s and Kent Fasteel 3inch #3s. Havent had an issue at all with the gun until recently with the last couple of boxes of shells I've put through it where the gun will "misfire", lack of a better term.

The situation occurs when after firing off the 1st round, the gun ejects the hull fine and loads the fresh shell into the chamber, then I'll pull the trigger and nothing happens. It feels like its on safety, there's no actual "pull" (movement) in the trigger. I'll try pulling the trigger again and boom! Gun fires just fine and cycles the next shell into the chamber...boom! It fires the 3rd round just fine as well. Now it only happens when I'm trying to fire off all 3 rounds quickly. If you slow down and wait a split second to pull the trigger between the 1st and 2nd rounds...it shoots just fine. Its like the firing pin isnt "engaging" maybe? I dont know. I'm not a gunsmith or gun guru by no means.

I've cleaned the gun extensively twice since I've bought it. Everything is good and clean. Any other Maxus owners had this issue?

Any help would be really appreciated!! Dont want to send the gun back to Browning with just over a month left in our duck season.
~Chance~

Is it duck season yet?
OkDuckHunter44
hunter

Re: Maxus Misfire?

Postby Red Huck » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:56 pm

No my gun work fine.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby maclavin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:37 am

Your trapping the trigger."not letting it go between shots" Can happen on any gun but it seems to be common on the maxus.
Take a look here

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=203990&start=0

Mike
maclavin
hunter

Postby gcs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:56 pm

That's easy to do when your wearing gloves, though the Maxus trigger guard is pretty large, gotta let that trigger "re-set"
gcs
hunter

Postby The Drake » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 pm

Trapping the trigger........send it off and Browning will put in a stiffer spring to fix the problem.
The Drake
hunter

Postby OkDuckHunter44 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:27 pm

Must just be the Maxus. I have never had this issue with my 1100 when shooting skeet, pheasant, or quail. Really hate to have to send off a brand new gun but whatever. Thanks for the info guys.
~Chance~

Is it duck season yet?
OkDuckHunter44
hunter

Postby maclavin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:52 pm

The Drake wrote:Trapping the trigger........send it off and Browning will put in a stiffer spring to fix the problem.

The stiffer spring will give you maxus the same bad trigger pull all of the newer brownings have. Some refer to them as a lawyers trigger. Sometimes just telling people what they are doing will fix the problem, by making you aware.

Mike
maclavin
hunter

Postby Maxushunter » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:11 pm

I have the Maxus Stalker i have had it out shooting since i bought last year recently back from a duck hunt i took the gun down for a cleaning as it was out in the rain i found a problem in the trigger group the main spring cross pin had come out and allowed the spring to back out of it's location you guy's with the maxus may want to keep an eye on this as it could be why you are having a trigger pull and no bang.
Maxushunter
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:39 pm

This is the 1st problem I have heard of with the Maxus. I've had mine about month now and have not had any issues. Love the gun.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:53 pm

First off number one no matter how perfict of a shooter you think you are this includes myself we all have bad shooting habits. Bottom you need to look at the nature of the problem. Its bad habit trapping the trigger. It just so happens the maxus is prone to that. Like the shimano calcutta bait casting reel. When it came out lots guys bought them a year and sold them. Because they would turn the magnetic breaking systems way down and the were a super sensitive real. If you forced the cast to hard. it would backlash bad. But the point was to make it that sensative so that it would cast far with less effort. So you learned to get rid of your bad habit of forcing your cast to hard. Same rule applies mabe you guys haveing trouble with trigger need to kick your trigger trapping habit. Also i will name you a problem with my maxus. Minor but not the gun. I shot lots of black cloud with it. first year. Put it away take it out it won't fire trigger won't move. So i take bolt look at the gun there are tons of plastic shavings in the trigger group. Now im scared im thinking something is rubbing at the back or something and chewing up stock plastic. And it's migrating forward my mind ran wild with fear. So got plastic outta trigger group it shot fine. So i neglct total break down and cleaning that year and next year. So third year summer trap shoot. It won't cycle cheap loads. so i figure it shoots big loads im fine . SO i neglect further cleaning. Mainly because i lost my manual. So i remeber website hast them i see how simple breaking it down is. So i do it. Soak gas piston in hoppe's clean it well. Still scared of cheap trap load. BUt i wanna shot trap and the cheapies alls i got left so i shoot them it cycles them throws empties 6 7 feet. All problems due to bad ammo my lack of cleaning. < My own stupidity./ Bad habits. cut your bad habits clean your maxus. Make sure it is assembled right. Everything is kosher. And don't always be ready to blame the maxus. I read horror stories on here about things and thought gun was no good. Im beginning to believe owners were a little sloppy. I know i was. Also don't oil anything run it dry. High and dry.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby maclavin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:22 am

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Last edited by maclavin on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maclavin
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:06 am

Whatever Macclavin so what my grammar sucks this isn't and english or english lit forum. Its about guns gun problems and how to solve them really i could careless.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby maclavin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 pm

I removed my post because a Mod said I was being rude. He was right, I just have a hard time reading your post's. Let me ask you this though, how can you spell my screen name wrong when it is right in front of you?
maclavin
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Because i type to fast and don't pay attention to the screen all that well. Its not my english i write great english. Its my typeing and care to give a crap how good or bad it looks. I really could care less about the comment im not 2 im a big boy. duckinismyluckin< thick hide. Doesn't care
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:37 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:Its not my english i write great english.

That's funny.
mudpack
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:54 pm

yeah mudpack im not a huge one on punctation in this forum either.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:05 am

ahhh,your typing skills! I just figured you were from china!
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:36 pm

No im just a crappy none pay attention ah **** it typist.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 pm

duckinismyluckin wrote:No im just a crappy none pay attention ah **** it typist.

What? :huh:
All turkeys must die!!!

WTN10 wrote:Mark your calendars, boys. This is the day WTN10 was wrong. The cat above is 100% correct.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:05 am

:umm: Lets get back on topic and stop the grammer checks. If it keeps going I will have to lock the post. :umm:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:14 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote::umm: Lets get back on topic and stop the grammer checks. If it keeps going I will have to lock the post. :umm:

Don't have to yell. Just trying to figure out what he is trying to say.
All turkeys must die!!!

WTN10 wrote:Mark your calendars, boys. This is the day WTN10 was wrong. The cat above is 100% correct.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Trigger trapping.......send it to Browning for the stiffer spring update, simple as that.
The Drake
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:49 pm

The Drake wrote:Trigger trapping.......send it to Browning for the stiffer spring update, simple as that.

Update? Was there an issue with some of the maxus trigger springs from the factory?

I can not wear my hunting gloves when shooting my 1187's or they become single shots. I have to actually remove my finger from the trigger guard before the trigger will reset. but I have never heard of this on any other gun besides remingtons. So I Googled it, It seems this happens mainly on O/U's on fast pairs and also seems real common on brownings although most say it is not the guns fault but the shooter. This is interesting to me and now that I read up on it I will probably start doing it :mad: :lol3: :lol3:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:59 am

mudpack wrote:
duckinismyluckin wrote:Its not my english i write great english.

That's funny.

:lol3:
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Mine went click on the sixth shot out of a brand new gun! Sent it to Browning and they rebuilt my trigger group.

Now after 200 rounds its back!!! This is bull!

I've seen other posts where s guy sent his back three times!

I clean my shotgun after each use even if its three shots!

I wonder if an SX3 trigger would function in this gun? My SX3 is flawless though...

Sent from my Tim Grounds Triple Crown
Takeem406
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum