Maxus Misfire?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Re: Maxus Misfire?

Postby stilltrying » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:First off number one no matter how perfict of a shooter you think you are this includes myself we all have bad shooting habits. Bottom you need to look at the nature of the problem. Its bad habit trapping the trigger. It just so happens the maxus is prone to that. Like the shimano calcutta bait casting reel. When it came out lots guys bought them a year and sold them. Because they would turn the magnetic breaking systems way down and the were a super sensitive real. If you forced the cast to hard. it would backlash bad. But the point was to make it that sensative so that it would cast far with less effort. So you learned to get rid of your bad habit of forcing your cast to hard. Same rule applies mabe you guys haveing trouble with trigger need to kick your trigger trapping habit. Also i will name you a problem with my maxus. Minor but not the gun. I shot lots of black cloud with it. first year. Put it away take it out it won't fire trigger won't move. So i take bolt look at the gun there are tons of plastic shavings in the trigger group. Now im scared im thinking something is rubbing at the back or something and chewing up stock plastic. And it's migrating forward my mind ran wild with fear. So got plastic outta trigger group it shot fine. So i neglct total break down and cleaning that year and next year. So third year summer trap shoot. It won't cycle cheap loads. so i figure it shoots big loads im fine . SO i neglect further cleaning. Mainly because i lost my manual. So i remeber website hast them i see how simple breaking it down is. So i do it. Soak gas piston in hoppe's clean it well. Still scared of cheap trap load. BUt i wanna shot trap and the cheapies alls i got left so i shoot them it cycles them throws empties 6 7 feet. All problems due to bad ammo my lack of cleaning. < My own stupidity./ Bad habits. cut your bad habits clean your maxus. Make sure it is assembled right. Everything is kosher. And don't always be ready to blame the maxus. I read horror stories on here about things and thought gun was no good. Im beginning to believe owners were a little sloppy. I know i was. Also don't oil anything run it dry. High and dry.

I had a similar issue this last weekend. I have had my maxus for about a year. I noticed opening pheasant weekend that I had a couple of miss fires or trapping effects. I marked it up to not having the safety all the way over as it is a little new to me yet. So I made a more conscience effort to do so this Saturday and again it happened and so did my frustration. I went out on Sunday and noticed it was cycling slow about 1/2 through a walk and figured it needed a good cleaning. Then the jam happend. The action was locked open, trigger would not move, and neither would safety. I was done for the day. I took the maxus apart to clean and it had a lot of fowling throughout. I took the trigger assembly out for the first time and also noticed a lot of plasict shavings floating around and the final culprit for the jam. A primer from a shell was lodged next to the trigger in the plastic of the assembly. I took it out and the trigger released again. I am chalking the primer up to poor (free) trap amo that I was shooting Friday evening but am reluctant to say the plastic shavings were from the primer.

I haven't shot anything through it since but may shoot a couple trap tomorrow before duck hunting this weekend.

Has anyone else noticed the plastic shavings in the trigger?
stilltrying
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:28 pm

stilltrying wrote: A primer from a shell was lodged next to the trigger in the plastic of the assembly. I took it out and the trigger released again. I am chalking the primer up to poor (free) trap amo that I was shooting Friday evening but am reluctant to say the plastic shavings were from the primer.

I haven't shot anything through it since but may shoot a couple trap tomorrow before duck hunting this weekend.

Has anyone else noticed the plastic shavings in the trigger?

Was it a Kent trap load?
could there be a sharp edge in chamber shaving plastic from the shell when it cycles?
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby stilltrying » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:44 pm

I don't think it was Kent. It was some off brand that I don't remember and really didn't recognize the box (they were free and I now know came with a cost..)

The shavings were all black and I have been shooting a lot of red shells (Wins and Federal) and I didn't shoot any black shells over the last couple weeks. I have shot some Kent steal shot a 4 weeks or so ago.
stilltrying
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Yeppers trigger trapping. Slow down and let your finger off the trigger more. Mine does the same thing rapid firing low base.

Sent from my layout blind
Takeem406
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 pm

stilltrying wrote:I don't think it was Kent. It was some off brand that I don't remember and really didn't recognize the box (they were free and I now know came with a cost..)

The shavings were all black and I have been shooting a lot of red shells (Wins and Federal) and I didn't shoot any black shells over the last couple weeks. I have shot some Kent steal shot a 4 weeks or so ago.

Only asked about Kent because Ive read on here that some Kents had backed out primer and i saw a kent with backed out primer shooting SC last summer.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Maxus Misfire?

Postby Sclf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:28 pm

I had a maxus do the same thing and sent it back. Before that, like a month after I got it, it had to be sent back for failure to feed issues. I wasn't getting burned a 3rd time so I sold it and bought an a400. I understand about bad shooting habits and trigger trapping. If this is a known issue, why is browning still putting these guns out with that problem?
Sclf
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Sclf wrote:I had a maxus do the same thing and sent it back. Before that, like a month after I got it, it had to be sent back for failure to feed issues. I wasn't getting burned a 3rd time so I sold it and bought an a400. I understand about bad shooting habits and trigger trapping. If this is a known issue, why is browning still putting these guns out with that problem?

I witnessed today people doing dumb stuff and then blaming the gun. The guy was shooting a Mossberg 935. He was upset that the gun jammed. Turned out that he put the recoil assembly in backwards. He fired 3.5 hypersonic loads (max pressure) with the parts in backwards. We get the parts in right. The gun works good again. Ten hypersonic max loads later he breaks the bolt. Hmm. Is it the shell? Is it the gun? Is it his dumb user errors. The problem with complaints on the internet is you don't get to see the whole picture. That's the problem with your general statement.

Interestingly, last season this person was complaining about another brand gun giving them a lot of problems and the gun was junk. It was made clear to me today that there are some people doing dumb stuff out there then proclaim that the gun is junk. Unfortunately you can't send the owner back for repair work.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 am

Like the post above implies ,fellas that shoot reloads should know what primers go with what hulls ,if the primer pocket
is a hair to big for the primer , you are asking for trouble and allot of blow-by . The guy that doesn't clean his gun after each
use , is puting undue wear on his gun because , he's lazy !
3200 man
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum