2011 Late Hunt

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

2011 Late Hunt

Postby MotorCityDuckman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:27 pm

How did everyone do?

The 2011 late hunt produced the ultimate trophy that I never in my wildest dreams thought of taking in my 13 years of waterfowl hunting:

Lake St Clair (Sat): 1 GE, 1 Mallard, 1 Can
Lake Erie (Sun)L: 1 Can (Banded), 1 Red, 2 Greater Bills, 1 Buffie
MotorCityDuckman
hunter

Re: 2011 Late Hunt

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Double congrads on that dude!!

Heard that those who got out (able to) did well. Which is what is expected, find open water and you will find birds.

My buds went to the Detroit River, hunted off of some guys dock, small pcs of open water in front. They shot 4 limits with 5 guys, no decoys!!
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 pm

The spot we hunted had too much open water since it was so damn warm. The spot is tremendous when everything is locked up in ice but this year pretty much half the lake was open instead of the usual 10x20yrd hole

The rain and other hunters pushed the birds off the roost early so the AM flight of birds was non-existent. As the day warmed up the ice we were hunting from shrank and the birds wouldn't come down from the stratosphere.

Ended up with two blacks and a mallard far Sat morn and couldn't make it out Sunday, really not what I was hoping for this spot, but at least I didn't do a lot of missing. All in all I can't wait till next year!
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 am

My buddy and I hunted in Pontiac, early Friday morning we went out and broke a hole in the ice and did not finish it till the next day of hunting, we got 3 mallards, one with four curls on its tail, great looking mallard. the ducks were flying like crazy when it was raining but we messed up on our judgment of trying to predict if the birds were going to fly back around and land then as soon as you know it they were gone. it was weird because on Sunday we did not see one bird in the sky, we hunted all day, the only difference was Saturday it was raining and Sunday it was colder with snow flurries. Do the bird fly better in the rain? people have told me ducks do not land on ice, is this true? i tell them yes they land on the ice but they decide to be a know it all and counter **** everything.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby twentybucks » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 am

congrats on the banded canvasback.
twentybucks
hunter

Postby MotorCityDuckman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:11 pm

From my experience birds do not like the rain, same with snow; which usually gets them moving. As for ice, I have not seen them land on it.. but in the late season they love sleeping on the edges of it.
MotorCityDuckman
hunter

Postby MotorCityDuckman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:15 pm

I also scouted Pontiac last week as a Plan B if St. Clair stayed locked up, I couldnt believe the numbers of mallards and blacks I saw in a few "urban" lakes that I pass by daily.
MotorCityDuckman
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:43 am

Yea pontiac lake is where we have been hunting all season and we did good so me and my buddy got out there on Dec 31st at 830 am and started breaking the ice and didn't finish till the next day of the hunt. My buddy got a nice drake mallard with 4 curls on it. The ice was about 14 in thick. It was a pain in the ass but we wanted to hunt so bad. Ill post pictures later of the hole we made for the ducks. Not the biggest hole but we still had birds coming in. Yea we seen a flock of black ducks and a few divers but mostly all mallards. Had a great time though even though we didn't do as good as we wanted. But mice job on the band!
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 am

lildemars09 wrote:Yea pontiac lake is where we have been hunting all season and we did good so me and my buddy got out there on Dec 31st at 830 am and started breaking the ice and didn't finish till the next day of the hunt. My buddy got a nice drake mallard with 4 curls on it. The ice was about 14 in thick. It was a pain in the ass but we wanted to hunt so bad. Ill post pictures later of the hole we made for the ducks. Not the biggest hole but we still had birds coming in. Yea we seen a flock of black ducks and a few divers but mostly all mallards. Had a great time though even though we didn't do as good as we wanted. But mice job on the band!

I am missing something here on this one?
You spent 24 hours cutting 14 inch thick ice, which didnt happen over night so the water has been locked up on the lake for..... weeks! And you just go out and spend 24 hours of cutting 14 inch ice and ducks just decide to come by and drop in your hole as soon as you complete the hole???? "if you build it they will come".
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 am

yea, don't get me wrong not every duck wanted to land but those that didn't came to take a gander and they were close enough to shoot. i didn't care if they landed or not i knew that they would come over towards us for a shot. we started at 830 till 5 on Friday and then 2 more hrs on Saturday. sorry i should have been more specific on the hours of how long we broke the ice for. two seasons ago on late season we had a bunch of guys who went to Harsens Island and did the same thing but we spent the night out there making two big holes for he ducks and we had ducks coming into the honey hole.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:45 am

Harsens Island and the water in the area, much diff then a inland lake that is froze over for weeks.

Thanks for clearing my mind....

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Flooded Timber » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:50 am

Nice Can...
I prefer the term "full figured"...
Flooded Timber
Newb

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Congratulations. Thats awesome!
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter