coon paw trap question

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

coon paw trap question

Postby Daniel Peterson » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:37 pm

Does anybody know how to rig a coon paw trap? The trap where a coon sticks his hand in it and cant pull it out. :help:
Daniel Peterson
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:04 pm


Postby Woodywoodduck2 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:16 pm

Do you mean how to set it or How to place in a Location?
Win a Kid over from PETA, teach them the Art of Conservation, not Animal Rights!
PA Needs LEGAL Sunday Hunting!
Woodywoodduck SSD
User avatar
Woodywoodduck2
hunter
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Harrisburg PA Wishing to be Back in Purry County!

Postby Daniel Peterson » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:27 am

sorry-let me clarify myself better I mean how do you build one
Daniel Peterson
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:04 pm

Postby Woodywoodduck2 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:15 am

Daniel Peterson wrote:sorry-let me clarify myself better I mean how do you build one



AH, ok,
I never tried to build 1....My 1 buddy bought some and uses them pretty good!

He paid $20.00 for each!


They work GREAT!

He puts a little piece of Wool in the back on the Cuff and puts some lure on it, then burries it in a Stream bank to make it look like a little hole in the bank.


Can't even begin on how to build 1.
Win a Kid over from PETA, teach them the Art of Conservation, not Animal Rights!
PA Needs LEGAL Sunday Hunting!
Woodywoodduck SSD
User avatar
Woodywoodduck2
hunter
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Harrisburg PA Wishing to be Back in Purry County!

Postby Daniel Peterson » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:22 am

where did he get in from?
Daniel Peterson
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:04 pm

Postby Woodywoodduck2 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:10 am

Daniel Peterson wrote:where did he get in from?


From a Local Trapping shop.

They are called "Coon Cuffs"

2 Different ways I've seen them made

1 looks like a 2 inch round piece of Pipe with a snap going thru it like a mouse trap except it goes thru the side of the pipe

the other looks like a little box and has a trap door that comes down and hold the paw and foreleg.


Can't put up a link without :spam: ing the board and rules!

Check into your local trapping supply dealers and ask them for Coon Cuffs.

go to Google and type in Coon Cuff just like that....You'll get alot of hits to look at :thumbsup:
Win a Kid over from PETA, teach them the Art of Conservation, not Animal Rights!
PA Needs LEGAL Sunday Hunting!
Woodywoodduck SSD
User avatar
Woodywoodduck2
hunter
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Harrisburg PA Wishing to be Back in Purry County!

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:08 pm

I read something like that in Where A Redfearn Grow.s :mrgreen:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
User avatar
Gooseboy
Banned
 
Posts: 4741
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:06 pm
Location: OK

Postby tjkellyc4 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:26 pm

you can take a square block of wood, hollow out a hole in one side. hammer nails into the block of wood at an inward angle. place a chub or carp guts in the back of the hole. the coon will narrow his hand up when he reaches in the hole. but once he grabs hold of the bait his fist wont fit back out of the hole. they arent smart enough to let go of the bait, it works well.
tjkellyc4
hunter
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:58 am

Dog Proof Traps

Postby OKTrap » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:59 am

IMO the Griz Get'rz are the best coon specific trap on the market. A bit expensive, but well worth the money. However, there are a lot of different one's out there. Email me and I can better assist you. oktrap1@cox.net
Member: OFBA, OPHA, NWCOA, LT GOA, NRA
Our toolbar!
OKTrap
hunter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:08 am
Location: Catoosa, Oklahoma

Postby duckster34 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:27 pm

hey gooseboy they used to use a brace and bit to drill holes in logs and put sardines or peas or something like in it for an attractant. my dad used to do it as a kid but they drove finishing nails in at an angle to keep them from pulling out. they will not let go of the attractant thats for sure, works well my dad showed me how to do it also. i think thats what they refered to in the where the red fern grows. :toofunny:
duckster34
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:02 pm

Postby cathryn » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:47 pm

Woodywoodduck2 wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:where did he get in from?


From a Local Trapping shop.

They are called "Coon Cuffs"

2 Different ways I've seen them made

1 looks like a 2 inch round piece of Pipe with a snap going thru it like a mouse trap except it goes thru the side of the pipe

the other looks like a little box and has a trap door that comes down and hold the paw and foreleg.


Can't put up a link without :spam: ing the board and rules!

Check into your local trapping supply dealers and ask them for Coon Cuffs.

go to Google and type in Coon Cuff just like that....You'll get alot of hits to look at :thumbsup:


i have some of the second kind he describes and they work great...i purchased some and my brother, whos a welder, made me some if youd like i can see if he has a plan for them and i could pm it to you...

pm me and let me know :smile:
cathryn
hunter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:37 pm
Location: WV

Re: coon paw trap question

Postby K Williams » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Buy a Coon Dagger dog proof trap or the Sterling Grizz trap...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re:

Postby clymerfowler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:57 am

tjkellyc4 wrote:you can take a square block of wood, hollow out a hole in one side. hammer nails into the block of wood at an inward angle. place a chub or carp guts in the back of the hole. the coon will narrow his hand up when he reaches in the hole. but once he grabs hold of the bait his fist wont fit back out of the hole. they arent smart enough to let go of the bait, it works well.

That would be illegal in all the lower 48 if caught.
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 am
Location: Clymer, NY


Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests