What do you do with coyote pelts? in CO?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

What do you do with coyote pelts? in CO?

Postby Bano11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:00 am

i live in CO and i want to try my hand at coyote hunting, but i dont want to just chuck them after i shoot'em. i do not have the time/know how/resources to prep the pelts myself before selling them. my question is: how often will fur dealers buy a whole carcass? also, how can i locate a fur dealer in my area? should i try to contact taxidermists?
Bano11
hunter

Re: What do you do with coyote pelts? in CO?

Postby FMFdevildoc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Fur buyers are not hard to find in Colorado - just look them up !

You can find the diagram to make a pelt stretcher online too, skin the animal out, salt the hell out of it and put it on a stretcher rack.

Although I would call the perspective fur buyer youre going to try and do business with, to see what they want, in terms of prep. for pelts - and I have never heard of a fur buyer buying whole animal bodies; at least with coyotes.

You can do it! It is totally easy - when I lived in NM I sold pelts to buyers in Colorado, although I never got more than 25.00 - 30.00 for a good pelt.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby JTrottaNY » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:07 am

like i suggested in another thread;
-sell em whole to another trapper, furbuyer or the amish community seems to be willing to buy whole animals
-make arrangement with a taxidermist to take them. You may get a break on your next mount...
JTrottaNY
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 am

both suggestion are good ,freeze them whole taxidermists will buy them sometimes, or save up 10 or so ship them off to be tanned and make yourself a very warm coat,any western coyote has better fur than our eastern ''yellow'' ones!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:53 am

In Illinois we have buyers that will buy the whole animal. (frozen)
The guys I used to trap with (years ago) had big freezers and would freeze everything they caught.
I didn't have a big freezer so I skinned my catches and froze the hides inside a plastic garbage bag.
I think they call that a "green hide".
I'd fold the skin side onto itself so that no fur touched skin. Then wrap it up and roll it up and put it in a plastic bag and freeze.
Never had any complains from fur buyers.
You should have no trouble selling yotes because the fur trade uses yote fur a lot for trim work. Collars and such.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum