Predestination or free will?

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

What do you believe?

Predestination (God has planned everything in our life)
41%
Free Will (We are the authors of our own life)
59%

Total votes : 17

Predestination or free will?

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:40 am

Assuming you belive there is a higher being, which option do you think is more probable? And if God does know everything that is going to happen what is the point of seemingly pointless heartache in life? Would love to hear some thoughts on this topic! :thumbsup: :smile:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

I think it is more involved than one or the other

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:40 am

Over the last two years I have spent a lot of time studying the scripture and as I did I started seeing concepts emerge that when I shared them with people they would explain that what that concept was called. I started becoming more reformed in my theology. Where I am know I would have to say that God is Soveriegn in complete control of everything but there is a thread of freewill that runs through it all. I am not saying I am correct. This is just were I am right now.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:55 pm

ive wondered this a lot... i think that God has a specific plan for each one of us, and will point us in the right direction... but we have the free will to stray away from that plan... i think that God will prod us every now and then to keep us on track... there is just too much that has happened already in my life to say that everything was by chance, but i also know that i have made decisions that i dont think were God's plan for me... so just my .02
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Butchhe » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:39 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:ive wondered this a lot... i think that God has a specific plan for each one of us, and will point us in the right direction... but we have the free will to stray away from that plan... i think that God will prod us every now and then to keep us on track... there is just too much that has happened already in my life to say that everything was by chance, but i also know that i have made decisions that i dont think were God's plan for me... so just my .02

I think you hit the nail on the head. God has a plan for every one of us, but the choices we make, in reguards to free will, will differ from his plan. Sometime in a small way, others in a large way.
Butchhe
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:52 pm

I agree with my brother.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:18 pm

What is the point of bringing millions of starving children into this world just to feel pain and die? Do they have any other choice in life. That is what I struggle with. Perhaps there is a point to this but we are not meant to understand. :thumbsup:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby duckdog » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:03 pm

kiwi, I believe that people are in charge of there own destination to a point. Meaning that God has a plan for us, the only thing we are in charge of is devating from the trust of God. For the millions of starving children in the world, I don't know. It may sound sick (I don't mean it to) but it's almost like when animals get overpopulated, they get disease, and some die keeping the population in check. Like starvation, disease, natural disasters etc. It does amaze me, that as bad as the human race treats this planet with pollution, violence, war, cutting down millions of trees, all of that stuff that we do to the planet (basically destroying it), and God still loves us.

The best example of trusting in God, and not questioning him has been with my kids. They goto church, and sunday school they are learning about God, and believe in God, but not once do they ever question life, or why something has happened, be it good or bad. When we are born we become part of gods children, and it seems the older we get the more we question him. The older we get, that is the time to make sure we beleive in God stronger, and stronger everyday, so we don't run astray from God. I try not to question why things happen anymore, just deal with the situation day by day, and try to make the best of it, otherwise life will be very discomforting. Trust in God
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:24 pm

Very complex subject. I think there is one element being left out of this. There is evil in this world and that is part of the equation. Look at the garden of Eden. You have Adam and Eve and the infamous apple. God said don't eat it...and you know the rest of the story. Right off the bat God gave us free will and we ran with it ever since then. Could God have stopped all the evil in the world? Yep. We chose our own path away from God. Just like you have to let your kids learn from their mistakes, I think God said..."hey...you are on your own." (to a point)

I believe he still loved us enough to still give us a path to Heaven. So, like your kids that did something you told them not to, but did it anyway. You ground them for a month, but you still love them and are still welcome in your house. We have allowed man to cause suffering on earth, God didn't.

I think God has a path for those that wish to follow it, JJohnson touched on it. I stray all the time. Sometimes I can hear the voice..."stop doing things you should not do." I'm good for a bit and there I go running off doing stuff bad again. Just like a kid. God slaps his forehead and Jesus says to God "Well he's not perfect...but at least he is no Hitler."

I know that is not how God looks at things. That is just my way of thinking about it.

Last night I was glued to the TV about the trapped coal miners in WV. The news came across that they rescued 12 miners. I shot my hands to the sky and said thank you God. I went upstairs and woke my wife up and told her the good news. She had been praying for them to get rescued. I was happy, she was happy. I woke up today and found out it was all wrong and only one survived. For one brief second of being human, I thought to myself "God you let us down."

Did he? No. I can't blame God for things like this. I won't blame God for any of the troubles on earth. We cause them. There is a highway to Heaven...that's for sure. I'm still driving on the back roads trying to get there with only minor traffic tickets.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Butchhe » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:53 am

This is going to sound funny, but the movie Bruce Almighty with Jim Carey puts an enlightning view of some of the things God can and cannot do with us.
Butchhe
hunter

Postby SBCPREACHER » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:53 pm

In my opinion the foundation for understanding God's sovereignty and man's freewill is to understand what happened at creation and how that creation was effected when man rebelled against God.

Freewill was part of the creation. Thats why God put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the garden and then told Adam he could not eat the fruit of that tree. Why put the tree in the garden and then forbid Adam to eat from it ? Because God's desire in creating humanity was to get "willing" worshipers, a creation that choose to have fellowship with him. The only way He could accomplish that was to give man the freedom to make the choice. Hence the command not to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge.

When Adam & Eve exercised their freewill and rebelled against the will of God..... Sin and all the result of sin was loosed on creation. Could God have intervened ? absolutely ! but then what of freewil ?

Several on this thread have, as have I and millions of others throughout history, ask in essence, why does God allow bad things to happen ? My answer is that God is acting exactly as he did in the beginning when he warned Adam what would happen if he disobeyed. Death and disease and suffering were not part of God's plan for his creation. Sin changed all that and although God could intervene.... Then again, what of freewill ?

God will have what he originally planned for. He will have willing worshipers. But first he must deal with sin. Enter Jesus Christ and a wooden cross.

My systematic theology professor said this: "God, acting upon his sovereignty, afforded humanity freewill." In my opinion that is true.

Tom
SBCPREACHER
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality