Devotion: The GPS

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, La. Hunter, Preacher1011

Devotion: The GPS

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:07 am

The other night my 8 year old daughter and I went duck hunting on the Indian River. We hunted a new spot as well as used a new boat ramp. My motor lost power and we were going about half speed coming back it the dark.

I had lost my orientation. The different speed really messed up my feel for the distance and being in uncharted waters made me second guess where I was. The beautiful thing was I had my GPS and the ramp was marked. I still second guessed the GPS most of the way, but decided I would follow it even though it didn’t seem correct.

Life is a lot like that evening. We get confused and aren’t sure where we are. Many times we think we got it figured out, but later realize we were running at a different speed or missed the boat ramp. Much like the GPS, the word of God is an infallible compass that directs our course.

Hebrew 4:11-13 says ”Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.”

When you look at this passage you see that the Word of God is sharper than any two-edged sword able to divide the joints and the marrow. Some translation say bone and marrow, when you look at bone it is dead and when you look at marrow it is alive. The word of God is powerful in cutting the things that are dead out of our life. It tells us that it discerns the thoughts and intents of the heart and no creature is hidden from His sight. The Bible is like a mirror. Many times we look in the mirror and don’t like what we see. We take out our razor and shave, we wash our face, comb our hair etc. other times we look and say “Man, I’m fat.” And walk away not wanting to look in the mirror again. This is true of scripture as well. God gave us his Word which he intends to use in each of us to grow us and teach us.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:47 pm

Good analogy.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks Jay.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HuntingWife » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:16 am

Great analogy -- thanks for sharing.
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality