Planning a trip for October 2011

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

Planning a trip for October 2011

Postby brandon327 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Some friends and I are planning a trip to North Dakota in October 2011. We are looking at making the trek around the 3rd week of October. Is that a goodtime? Where we hunt it primarly old lake and such so we have plenty of item to hunt water with. Is the hunting better in the fields or the Potholes? What is a good town to base or hunting out of? We are looking at the SE part of the state if the hunting is good. Are there any parts of the state that are better than others? We would like to hunt ducks and geese. What kind of equipment is needed to hunt North Dakota? I am sure a layout blind, same field dekes, mojo's and not sure what else. What type of dekes and how many? I am trying to get head start on the buying process. We will be bringing at least one dog and hope to stay a week. Thanks for any info you can give.

Thanks,
Brandon
brandon327
hunter

Re: Planning a trip for October 2011

Postby Jellie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Brandon - The first year I went out, we went with an outfitter. It was worth the money then you can do it yourself from there. Lots of territory to learn.
Jellie
hunter

Postby IL duxman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm

PM sent
IL duxman
hunter

Postby waterfowl1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:07 pm

deeks- mojos work alright. mallards, pintails, canada, lesser and greater, snows, a few cranes too doesnt hurt. anywhere from three dozen to 200 plus deeks works well. wind sock deeks work great for adding numbers. layout blind with native veg from the fields your in. face paint. sling for gun. waders. clothes for cold and warm weather. boot dryer. binoculars for all the scouting you will need to do. bug dope for those warm days too
waterfowl1
hunter

Postby ganderguide » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:09 pm

definitely bring the bug dope!
ganderguide
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting