high flyers

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

high flyers

Postby Humpbackshooter » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:51 pm

What is the trick to pulling those birds that are so high that Delta has to look up at. You can high ball your self to death, and ani't going to make a differance. I don't use that many dekes, so should more be put out? How many should be around a pit in a bean/rice field that has a leve runing through the middle of it?
Thanks,
hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Re: high flyers

Postby REM1100 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:19 am

You are not on the x and the geese fly over the bean field but not over the pit area. I would move the pit over to x if possible
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Take_Em07 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:01 am

In the case of ducks easiest and most effective way ive seen to pull sky high birds is a Mojo and a drake whistle. weve hit birds will regular calls not been able to even phase em but hit them with that whistle and they will fall out of the sky. as far as geese more dekes more flagging and call the bejebus out of them
Team DOWNZ Outdoors
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-DOWN ... 8313295767
Take_Em07
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:00 am

If you're talking about really high and/or wide flight birds that are way the heck and gone too far to hear Take-em's whistle, birds most guys "wouldn't waste wind on," I start with a few notes of screaming contest hail, then break into what most might think an every-hen-on-the-pond "come-back," and if anything winks or blinks a wing, I focus on that bird and get really loud and long. Absolutely critical not just to break them but to get them most of the way to us and break their mental momentum toward wherever they had been headed before letting up.

As for spinners, if I have one running for teal, I kill it as soon as I think I've big ducks started. Last thing I want to do is go to all that work only to have them push off the whirligig when they get close.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Take_Em07 wrote:In the case of ducks easiest and most effective way ive seen to pull sky high birds is a Mojo and a drake whistle. weve hit birds will regular calls not been able to even phase em but hit them with that whistle and they will fall out of the sky. as far as geese more dekes more flagging and call the bejebus out of them

Just how loud can you get on your drake whistle?
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gomarsh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:59 pm

In my experiences, most birds way, way up are probably not interested in your spread or your exact area. Not to say that birds dont drop from the sky on one sometimes. Most of the time though, dont evan waste your breath on them, all it is going to do is educate them that much more, and make you out of breath. As far as high balling.....I rarely do that either, ducks become way to call shy and decoy shy later in the year. Your absolute best chance of getting those birds down would be to follow them and try and find out where they are going on their own. What i like to do if im hunting later in the year on water is put out a smaller spread with just as many feeder decoys as normal decs. I would say i use 6-8 feeders and 6 regular tight together. I will use a jerk cord and pull the hell out of it with hardly any calling. It works like a charm every single time.....trust me! as far as mojo's i used to think i needed it, almost relied on it, but it didnt do anything for me when hunting water cause everyone and there mother has them. If you hunt a field though, mojo all the way until the geese fly, then take it down. Fields you want big spreads with alot of flagging and noise. Basically everything i have mentioned is for puddlers. For divers i use any where from 4 to 10 doz decoys and dont evan bring my calls.
gomarsh
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:25 pm

gomarsh wrote:In my experiences, most birds way, way up are probably not interested in your spread or your exact area. Not to say that birds dont drop from the sky on one sometimes. Most of the time though, dont evan waste your breath on them, all it is going to do is educate them that much more, and make you out of breath. As far as high balling.....I rarely do that either, ducks become way to call shy and decoy shy later in the year.

Seems a sure bet to me that a fellow will never learn to break high traveling birds if he doesn't try. Taking the attitude that there's a way to break every passing bird, whether true or not, and experimenting to find it while paying real attention to the birds' reactions has taught me that an awful lot more far and wide birds than I once thought possible can, indeed, be tolled.

And contrary to common wisdom, my experience has been that when I start worrying about late season birds being "call shy" and start slacking off it costs us gunning. The Rx for "call shyness" has almost invariably been more aggressive calling. If that tack doesn't work for someone, it's more likely how they're doing it than that they're doing it.

From the "waterfowl responsiveness" section of my logs:
1/7/09 - Waterfowl Responsiveness: most of the teal were blowing me off, but most discouraging was near total lack of response from big ducks. Nearly everything acted scared - and maybe it was. Worst calling responsiveness of the season.

1/8/09 - Waterfowl Responsiveness: realized I'd started "asking," instead of "telling," yesterday and went back to hammering them today with much improved results Staying after late season birds, rather than following traditional wisdom, seems a lesson I need annual reminders of.

1/9/09 -Waterfowl Responsiveness: started with Microhen but was soon on MVP. most of the spoons didn't care but big ducks responded better than we shot. Climbing on and staying on well past "reason" remained the key to breaking the high stuff down.

1/15/09 - Waterfowl Responsiveness: Microhen for low spoons and teal, MVP for high big ducks. Broke down several high pintail flights and a few of both mallards and grays, but it was pretty much a given that someone else on the marsh would bang them out before they could finish. Has been my observation in recent days and bears repeating that the more aggressive I've been on the call and the harder I try to "beat the clock" and get them in before someone else shoots, the better these late season birds have worked.

12/26/09 - Waterfowl Responsiveness: Started with Microhen, but ended with MVP. While I seldom switch calls in mid-bird, frustration with one group of mallards passing without a wink or blink spurred a change to the MVP before they got out of reasonable range, and the first lick with it turned them inside-out. After that I became the whacker everyone hates: screaming hails at everything that passed within hearing. And had by far the best hunt in the marsh.

12/27/09 - Waterfowl Responsiveness: Maybe the best working birds of the season. Every thing, ducks and geese came pretty and died on the deck. Those who think Main Street hails counterproductive in the field should of been there to watch the high and wide stuff break to 'em.

12/23/10 - Waterfowl Responsiveness: Another day when those thinking contest hails have no place in the marsh should have been there. Broke most of our big ducks - and a whole lot more that were binged out by other blinds - from waaaay up and was getting not just attention but the initial lock with stage hails.

12/28/10 - Waterfowl Responsiveness: Same as it's been: kill the spinner for the big ducks and hit them with a screaming hail to break and drag them down with what most would think an every hen on the pond come-back until they're working the hole. Sun and wind direction and velocity helped us get them in the pocket with "big" Rufus standing again, though "little" Rufus had some trouble with the patience to let them get RIGHT THERE. Came mighty pretty.

Works for me.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby gomarsh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Maybe i will try these methods when i am in the situation. I have always been under the impression that calling to birds like that would not work. For the last few years i will give one high ball to let them know that i am their. If they dont come then i just let em go. I seem to do well being covered very well and very little calling in the late season. Next time i am out, and have birds passing very high i will try getting on them hard, and see what happens. I just have never in my days seen birds call to other birds like that, so i never really tried to do so. I will give it a shot some time, who knows maybe it will work better than i thought.
gomarsh
hunter

Postby WI_LabLover » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:22 am

Golden rule of waterfowling - If what you're doing isn't working, change. Improvise, improvise, improvise.
Shoot em in da lips!

Jim C.

Member: WISILL HRC, Horicon Marsh HRC
UH HR Snoops WCX
UH HR Marshall's Sweet Sadie WCX
Southeast, WI
US Navy Veteran 1978-1982 (USS Lafayette, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower)
Born & Raised - Westmoreland County, PA
WI_LabLover
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting