Devotion: Officer, your kidding 24 ducks are over the limit

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Devotion: Officer, your kidding 24 ducks are over the limit

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:28 am

I was invited to a Thanksgiving Day hunt in Okeechobee years ago. I am glad to say I missed that one. Four federal game wardens showed up giving out fines to almost all present. Everyone in town was there commissioners, businessmen, football coaches etc. The first one they nailed was the guy I hunt with. They walked up carrying a shotgun and wearing camo, like one of the boys and asked “So how many did you get?” He proudly told him some number way over the limit. Then the game warden asked you shooting lead or steel?” and my buddy proudly answered “Lead.” Then the game warden pulled out his ID and said “I am a federal game warden.” My buddy couldn’t say anything he was busted, along with about 40 other people. It was funny a couple of weeks later everyone’s name was printed in the paper with their offense and the amount of the fines. I had a good time laughing at them because I didn’t get caught, but the truth being I was very close to having my name in the paper as well. Back in the day I didn’t always hunt legally and I would have been as guilty as the rest, now I am a law abiding duck hunter, but following the law now doesn’t cover what I did before.

James 2:10-11 tells us “10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder."[c] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.” See I am as guilty as everyone who got fined on the day of the Big Hunt. If I had been there I would have been fined as well. I would not been able to say anything. Romans 3:19 says “Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.”
When we stand in the light of God’s law it exposes our sin and condemns us. Let’s take a look at some of the Ten Commandments. Ask yourself “Have I ever told a lie?” I have, and it makes me a liar. Have I ever stolen any thing regardless of value? Yes I have and it makes me thief. Jesus said if we look at a woman with lust it is the same as adultery. I am guilty. If we hate someone it is the same as murder. I am a murderer as well. I am 0 for 4 and there are six more. Based on this when I stand before a Holy and righteous God I will be guilty and without excuse.

The function of God’s law is not to justify us it is to show us our sin, and in that show us our desperate need for a savior. Galatians 3:21-25 says “21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor."

[b]Coming next God’s righteousness by grace through faith…
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:41 pm

Im guilty as well.

Great post again Jay.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HuntingWife » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:16 am

Great post, Jay -- it is certainly food for thought. Thanks for sharing it with us.
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality