ThornApple River

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

ThornApple River

Postby dwoz18 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:48 am

Any 1 hunt the thornapple river? I hunted it this year, and only had mallard decoys to use. But it seems there where a lot of other birds, which i could not identify, because i am new to duck hunting. But i was wondering if any1 knew what i should add to my spread to hunt in those parts.
dwoz18
hunter

Re: ThornApple River

Postby ajmorell » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Mallards are really all you need. Depending on where on the river you're hunting a few diver dekes might not hurt. I would focus more on introducing motion to your spread than other species. Most birds will decoy to mallards if they're set up right.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Re: ThornApple River

Postby Floatin'Feathers17 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Just as ajmorell said, Usually with mallard dekes, many different species of ducks should commit. Especially because mallards are the predominate duck in that area. If you hunt other spots with alot of divers it may be a good investment, but just motion in you spread may do the trick.
I was in that area not too long ago, scouting a corn field right off the Thornapple for late season geese and seemed like a nice area to hunt. Unfortunately the geese left the field a day before we were going to hunt it, but good luck!

KB
Floatin' Feathers Pro-Staff
Floatin' Feathers Pro-Staff
West Michigan

"Give em' the high baller"
Floatin'Feathers17
Newb

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting