Stencil Kit For Boat???

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Stencil Kit For Boat???

Postby buster_22 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:00 pm

Hey you know those stencil kits for boats at Cabelas for about $50.00 with paint.. Do you guys know of any other way to paint my boat in somwhat of a pattern without paying 50.00? I know I'm cheap but by the end of the season the boats pretty beat up anyways, I was just looking for a cheap way to add some detail. Hope you can Help... :help:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Cheap Way

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:56 pm

We just went a cut some tall grass. Then we held it near the boat and used a wagner power painter to spray it on. It was time consuming, but our boat looks good. We also cut some branches with leaves and used the same method.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:20 pm

we actually made some stencils for our boat, out of thin cardboard
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby buster_22 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:14 pm

how did you go about getting the pattern for the cardboard??? good idea though
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:01 pm

my dad just cut them out with a utility knife.in the shape of tall grass.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:11 am

I just sketched a pattern that I liked onto some thin cardboard and cut it out with a razor. I used a wagner power sprayer for the brown base-coat, because it was alot faster and it used way less paint. Then I took the stencil and held it up with tape and sprayed with the grass patterns I made. If you just blast the whole stencil you use twice as much paint with poorer results. The one thing about using the stencil is if you get paint on the back of it, or it really starts running on the front of it, let it dry and then go back to it. I ended up with a couple little smudge marks that might not be noticed by anyone else or the ducks, but they bother the heck out of me. Also, next time I'm going to use a thin lexan sheet to make the stencil rather than card board. The whole process only took me about three hours to do the entire thing, not counting drying time.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:27 am

This website (http://micky.controlconceptsllc.com/) has some stencils you can download and blow up on a copy machine.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:10 am

Hey thanks for the tips!!!! the website that you sent me to; didn't allow me to open the stencil kit..... It said something like invaild folder or something, so if you have any other ideas let me know...... :thumbsup:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum