Jerk strings vs mojo's

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Re: Jerk strings vs mojo's

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:16 pm

The question is flawed. It's not MOJO vs. JERK rigs

but

Mojo AND jerk rigs.

A three-duck jerk rig will make plenty of ripples. If you put the mojo in the right place and have both working together...deadly.

Let's see how to NOT put a mojo out. This picture is a perfect demonstration of what I'm talking about.
BADmojo.jpg

Notice how the duck is 3 feet off the water or more. It looks like a duck on a stick. Shortening the stand does two things for you. First it makes the set-up appear less fake. Second it makes the profile of the mojo lower to the water. It picks up less wind closer to the surface of the water and is less likely to blow over.

If it was shortened and relocated into the 'pocket' of a proper decoy spread and then used along with a properly placed jerk-rig...a hunter could have ducks landing right where he wanted them to.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby cutdownolt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Mojo's are for clowns
cutdownolt
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Aunt Betty, being the "clown" (according to Bryce or whoever that other netspurt is) who's fielded that little portable teal rig the past however many seasons, there's little doubt in my mind it's helped kill more ducks than you have. Just sayin'...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cutdownolt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Rick Hall wrote:What works for you works for you. But I'm much more confident in my ability to put tough big ducks over the plate without a spinner than with.

:boxing:
cutdownolt
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:02 pm

I stand by that statement. The photo Aunt Betty pinched is of a teal rig. And nothing legal I'm aware of beats a spinner for teal.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cutdownolt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I stand by that statement. The photo Aunt Betty pinched is of a teal rig. And nothing legal I'm aware of beats a spinner for teal.

Teal, maybe. For mallards, clownliness.
cutdownolt
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
woodduck31 wrote:Things that move the water are very effective, jerk strings, mallard machines...

Your area may differ, but here in Southwest Louisiana, where there's a spinner or six at most every blind (and a blind every little whip-stitch), teasing wary big ducks with a spinner has still been more effective than with a Mallard Machine in pretty much side by side comparison.

now I'm getting confused.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:26 pm

How so?
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby webfettish » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 am

The flashing wings from the mojo will catch the eyes of birds from a distance, and then when they get closer they will see the motion from the jerk cord. More often then not, people overcall the birds and blame it on the mojo. The thing to do is find out what works for you, get out and do the work to try different methods, don't rely on others to tell you what is good and bad. :hammer:
webfettish
hunter

Location: Horicon, Oakfield, Eldorado, Green Bay, Winnebago (Water in WI)

Postby ilbucksndux » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm

The deal is look at what everybody else is doing . . . . and do the opposite. I have a few mojos and used them some . I prefer the jerk string hands down. Simple and easy to carry. Dont buy one make your own. Look at ducks sitting on the water and then look at your decoys.My eyes were opened several years ago . I was in flooded timber after shooting hours(1:00) and saw a group of duck a LONG way off. It was not the wing flashing that caught my attention it was all the splashing and the moving water I saw. Now picture that from the air. Water all around slick as glass and then a spot with all the splashing and motion. I do own a Wonder duck and am a firm believer in them cause they move the water.
ilbucksndux
hunter

Postby islandgoose » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 am

Here Here Ilbucksndux. You are so right on!
islandgoose
hunter

Postby boomstickalaskan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:51 pm

I'm to cheep for Mojo so I will vote Jerk String.

With that said, I have a question. A few years back, I started using a jerk string. On my first outing, I freeked when every time I pulled the jerk string the string would come out of the water. I quickly found a large stick and put it over the string at the shore. Since then I built a stake with a large fishing swivel on top. That way I can jam the stake in the ground and run the string threw the swivel.

My question is, what do you guys do if anything? Do ducks care if they see the string come out of the water?
boomstickalaskan
hunter

Postby Quackhead90 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Motion is the key. People will always debate on which motion is the best. My only thought is that a mojo always being spinning could be attracting birds that I haven't been able to see yet and bring the birds in close.
Quackhead90
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:59 pm

You can get the best of both worlds with a MOJO Jerk a Spread THEY ARE AWSOME it moves 12 decoys at once and is devestating on fly by birds we litteraly leave all spinners at home and take 2 Jerk a Spreads and kill more birds than other guys around us we have pulled birds away from other hunters on big lakes with these and I highly recomend them!!!!
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Duckbling12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:22 am

Jerk Strings/mallard machines, no flippy floppies in our spreads.
When they first come out, you couldn't beat the ducks off of them, now: not so much....

If your on the "X" it doesn't matter what you have, ducks will die.
Duckbling12
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 am

alanwebfoot wrote:I'll probably stir up a hornets nest on this one but I think mojo's are overrated ,I hunt with a guy who uses one and it's constant trouble with that flimsy pole wanting to drop the duck inthe drink!! especially after the early morning fog or mist has lifted and the birds can see that pole from 60 or 70 yards ,jmo but get a jerk string for much more realistic movement!!

I agree, But I always go the simple route. Mojo's are mechanicle and there gonna break down,screw up, and give you problems sooner or later. About all that can go wrong with a jerkline is it breaks, then just tie a knot in it and roll on
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby slayer73 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:16 am

boomstickalaskan wrote:I'm to cheep for Mojo so I will vote Jerk String.

With that said, I have a question. A few years back, I started using a jerk string. On my first outing, I freeked when every time I pulled the jerk string the string would come out of the water. I quickly found a large stick and put it over the string at the shore. Since then I built a stake with a large fishing swivel on top. That way I can jam the stake in the ground and run the string threw the swivel.

My question is, what do you guys do if anything? Do ducks care if they see the string come out of the water?

Yes I am wondering the same...do ducks care about the string coming out of the water or should I rig up a stake to keep it under the water?
slayer73
hunter

Postby Small Block » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Interesting subject guys. I use both and sometimes a homemade mallard machine. We also go to the hobby store and pick up the components for our homemade swimmers. Quiet, trouble free, and gives ya unassisted motion. Swims around in circles in a radius of your choosing. Cant work in water with trigs in it though.
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Postby J.Roberts (TeamDuckMeat) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm

I use a mojo during teal season and for the first couple weeks of big ducks. After that I switch to the jerk rig.
Team Duck Meat is a group of family and friends enjoying the outdoors and sharing it with others. Please check out our facebook page for great pictures and videos of our hunting trips. Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Duck ... 0373692467
J.Roberts (TeamDuckMeat)
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:05 pm

THe string really doesnt matter a whole lot do try to conceal it the best that you can we have a buddy who is a welder and we make a kind of guide for the string to go through using a peice of very small square tubing with an eyebolt welded to the top we push it under the water after running the line through it really close to the blind so that it isnt coming out of the water and giving us away. There are times were we havent used it and done fine but it does seem to be an eye sore for us when we dont use the guide but has to yet really flare birds off while flying over. I think that it would be more costly not to use it becuase of this it really works like nothing else we use I again as well as my crew use the MOJO Jerk A Spread and it is truely AWESOME!!! I again highly recomend it! Best Of Luck :thumbsup:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby Castandblastcommandos » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 am

Never had success with jerk rigs but we run 3 mojos.... Best advice is make your own poles about 7 feet tall made out of iron and paint black only use the first 45min. of light and last 45min. if hunting geese or woodies along with mallards jerk cord probably way to go never shot a goose while a mojo was runing and wood ducks are very wary!
Take em' Boyz!
Bang!!!
Bang!!!
Bang!!!
Click Click Click
Dang im Out!!!
Totals:
Geese: 12
Wood Ducks: 11
Mallards: 8
One slow Michigan Season
Castandblastcommandos
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 pm

I used a jerk string for the first time this past year and it worked wonders. Early morning in low light it drew birds like nothing else. I also usually use magnum decoys on the string. I watched geese 500 yards away change direction and come straight to those magnum mallard decoys. I got mallards to decoy in spots they never had before. That was the only bright side in a mainly terrible season for me. Also, I made the jerk string from about 20 rubber bands, a chunk of rusty metal, and a spool of nylon line. And it got great motion from the decoys.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 pm

[quote="dmadden7070"] I also usually use magnum decoys on the string. I watched geese 500 yards away change direction and come straight to those magnum mallard decoys. ]quote]
I doubt the geese came to a jerk string with mallard duck decoys on it. There was something else they liked near you, but not the over-sized mallard decoys.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:42 pm

true. looking back i realize i probably oversold the jerk string a little. It was the first time I have ever seen geese work that field though. and they tried to land right in the middle of the mallard decoys as opposed to anywhere else in the field. may have been coincidence, but last season was also the first year i ever tried magnum decoys.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:13 pm

dmadden7070 wrote:true. looking back i realize i probably oversold the jerk string a little. It was the first time I have ever seen geese work that field though. and they tried to land right in the middle of the mallard decoys as opposed to anywhere else in the field. may have been coincidence, but last season was also the first year i ever tried magnum decoys.

I'm still going to go with simple coincidence. Not saying I don't believe you, though. I just wouldn't be pullin on the jerk chord every time a goose comes by! :thumbsup:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting