Jerk strings vs mojo's

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Jerk strings vs mojo's

Postby dmadden7070 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 pm

fair enough. I would definitely say that I prefer jerk string to mojo though. At the price I honestly don't think a mojo is worth it.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:01 pm

WELL SAID!!!!! :thumbsup: I have killed more ducks over a jerk spread than I ever killed over a mojo but I know alot of folks use em they just arent for me here were I hunt.
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby dmadden7070 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm

no lie, I made a jerk string with rubber bands, nylon string and a chunk of rusty scrap metal for the rice field we hunt. The rubber bands will have to be replaced this year, but everything else is still usable. For a cheap alternative it worked well and got good motion in the spread.
Be the alligator, not the chicken!
dmadden7070
hunter

Postby hannibal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Cloudy days be sure you have Mojo with remote......turn off once you have their attention and then finish with jerk string.

Sunny days run the Mojos all the time.......still use the jerk string to finish.

Good luck.
hannibal
hunter

Postby A. Cuss » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:48 pm

I definatly think there are a lot of factors that would go into answering the question. They both can be effective given they are put to use correctly. Ultimately, let the ducks decide. You can always move things around or change your setup in the middle of a hunt. Being able to adapt will put more birds on the ground (or in the water). If you don't want to spend a bunch of money, check out Craigslist and eBay. There is always someone getting rid of last years gear.
A. Cuss
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:47 pm

they both work well... from my experiences use mojos early in the season on bright sunny days and use pantyhose to cover the wings on cloudy days so it won't flare ducks (it makes a more realistic flash like those of ducks on a not so bright day) also put the battery in a wool sock so it does not make noise and scare ducks. The jerk cords have worked better for me late season when ducks get real weary and mojos flare them. They both can work whenever but once again that has been most affective for me and i would think it would be the same for you.
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:10 pm

I never would have thought to use pantyhose to reduce the flash of the wings. Thanks brownh
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:21 am

ya no problem
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby Specialk512 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:46 pm

So after reading this thread, I decided to try a remote jerk string out.

I took my RC duck and put 3 other deeks on a string behind it. Tied the last one to a small bush in the water with line that had a bungie in the middle and it actually worked pretty well.
I havent used a jerk string very much because of having to get the line back into my boat blind.
This seemed to be very effective FWIW.
Specialk512
hunter

Postby Cdphotos82 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 pm

I have personally never used a Jerk rig and eventually i will try one but i do hunt with 2 baby mojos. I absolutely love them. I have hunted for the last 8 years without them and have called in plenty of ducks but since the addition of the 2 MOJO's, I do find more ducks seem to be coming in closer for a better look.. My last 4 days out i have had close to 60 mallards actually come in for a landing along with a some green wings and some pintails.. Its great to read everybodys thoughts on this though.
Cdphotos82
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:59 pm

I personally don't really like jerk strings. Maybe I don't set them up correctly, but I have never had a duck turn or commit due to the jerk string. The string always ends up out of the water and I guess I have not perfected the stealth jerk just yet.

Someone needs to invent a decoy that dips under water and shakes, that would get some ducks in I think.
agengo02
hunter

Postby brownh14 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm

I also had that problem with the string coming out of the water but i noticed a few of my decoys had a place where i could pop the string into the keel. It works pretty well just attach the string to a decoy or two closer to your blind so it moves a few extra decoys and weighs down the string from coming out of the water. Hope this helps
A dead hen cant lay eggs
brownh14
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 pm

brownh14 wrote:I also had that problem with the string coming out of the water but i noticed a few of my decoys had a place where i could pop the string into the keel. It works pretty well just attach the string to a decoy or two closer to your blind so it moves a few extra decoys and weighs down the string from coming out of the water. Hope this helps

I usually try to not put decoys near where I am hiding. I have thought about maybe a chunk of concrete with an eye bolt up close to my hide, but it always just seems like too much trouble for not much return.
agengo02
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Here's one brain buster for y'all.
How about using both in unison with one another? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Very effective. Many a'bird has fallen to my 2 mojo, 2 jerk string spread.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby flight canceler » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 pm

i like both and think they both work great. i have many different things in my spread though. I have 3 jerk strings and i used to have the problem with the strings out the water and where most of my blinds are made of wood i took some fence staples and nailed in a little below the water surface and then straight up into the blind and that keeps them out the water. I also have 4 baby mojos and love them too. One place i hunt there is extreme competition and i have tried extreme measures to attract ducks. we have hunted a few times where we have had 3 jerk strings out 8 deeks a piece and with min and a buddys mojos have had 2 vortex machines going with 3 mojos setup like a group comin in. We have slaughtered them that way and then sometimes mid year we put up everything and just use the jerk strings cause everyone is using mojos and the ducks get used to them so sometimes just bring it back simple and that will get them in too.
:beer:
flight canceler
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 pm

When you make homemade jerk cords what do yall use as the bungee cord?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:When you make homemade jerk cords what do yall use as the bungee cord?

....bungee cord. :hammer:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:14 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:When you make homemade jerk cords what do yall use as the bungee cord?

Do you cut the hooks of bungee cords, use rubber band line, surgical tubing...............
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:16 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:

Do you cut the hooks of bungee cords, use rubber band line, surgical tubing...............

Bungee cords, not the rubber kind they will break in cold weather, bend the hooks and tie the line to it. I have a pole I made up I mount it to. I took 1" pipe cut it 36" long welded a 5/8" nut to the side about a foot from the top to mount the bungee cord to and welded a 1/2", 12" nipple on the top of the pipe to act as handles to push it down with. I also cut a 36" piece of 1" pipe and welded a U bolt to the top to run the line through that I am pulling on so it isn't above the water for the ducks to see and some 4.5" bolts to the side to act as handles to push it down with I put this right in front of my blind where the line comes into it or right in front of where I am standing if in flooded timber. I have 5 jerk rigs and run the lines together to the piece with the U bolt so I can pull of them with one line.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:

The bungee cord hooks are pliable if you buy the right kind, you will have to do that searching yourself, but I just put the hook through the eye in my anchor then use a vice grip and some heavy duty pliers and bend the hook around the anchor's eye for a permanent attachment
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby ebitzan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:17 pm

i would run them both the more movement the better
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff
ebitzan
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby jack lowe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:39 pm

:ditto: i agree i always run both but i also dusted the wings on my mojos with black spray paint so their not as bright and it works great for my jerk lines i just use rubber bands and concrete poured into a coffie can with and i bolt stuck in it and i just use 1 decoy on my jerkline i put one jerkline on each side of my spread.
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby bulletman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:16 pm

We use both, and need to upgrade our mojo's as I sometimes want to turn them off when a group is working.

For the jerk line I have some 6 foot rubber bands, got about 50 of them so I'm good to go for a few years if they hold up.

I got REAL tired REAL fast of pulling on the line,,,,,,,,so we made a modification. We hunt out of layout boats, we took a 30" dowell rod and tied the line to the end of it, drilled an oversized hole in the rim of the boat cockpit and slid the rod 6" into it, to pull the decoys I simply push the rod end 3" with my hand and the decoys move almost two feet. :biggrin:

I can also rig it with a rope from the end of the dowell with a loop and work it with my foot.
bulletman
hunter

Postby finalflighttx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:34 pm

THATS BRILLIANT!!!!! :clapping:
Final Flight Duck Club
Hawkins TX
finalflighttx
hunter

Postby SGT Greenhead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Has anyone ever tried using tangle free decoy line for the stretchy part of the rig? That's what I do, it seems to work well but it's the first one I've ever built. I use about 50ft of tangle free with 2 decoys and 100lb braided fishing line to the blind. Works well...
SGT Greenhead
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting