Jerk strings vs mojo's

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Re: Jerk strings vs mojo's

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:17 pm

SGT Greenhead wrote:Has anyone ever tried using tangle free decoy line for the stretchy part of the rig? That's what I do, it seems to work well but it's the first one I've ever built. I use about 50ft of tangle free with 2 decoys and 100lb braided fishing line to the blind. Works well...

The tanglefree line breaks in cold temps
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby SGT Greenhead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:19 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
SGT Greenhead wrote:Has anyone ever tried using tangle free decoy line for the stretchy part of the rig? That's what I do, it seems to work well but it's the first one I've ever built. I use about 50ft of tangle free with 2 decoys and 100lb braided fishing line to the blind. Works well...

The tanglefree line breaks in cold temps

Good to know, good thing I'm in California lol
SGT Greenhead
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:32 pm

I use the braided or what ever they are bungee cords.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Freezer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:24 pm

I hunt shallow marshes so a tan fiberglass tent pole works fine for me as a stake. I simply cut and reattached the bungie inside so there are two sections. I tie my bungy to the bottom and push it down. What ever sticks out of the water looks like a reed. The black bungie cord can be bought at any craft hobbie store and for the main line I use green parschute cord. A few 2/0 swivels and you have it. Each is 45 yards long so the first decoy is at 35 yards. A small piece of plywood is all I need to wrap them for storage. I made four of them for about $25.

I use both Mojo/wind ducks and gadgets early season then switch to gadgets only (shaker butts, torpedos and jerk string) as the season wears on and ducks get weary. I like to have ripples on the water in the marsh when there's no wind.
Freezer
hunter

Postby duckhunter83 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:28 pm

Mojos are a great tool if you use them right if you have a limb over the water kinda put it under so its not just in the open and if the birds are flaring with one mojo set two more out it seems like they are not so focused on the one and will look around more at your spread than just focusing on the one if they still flare pull em in early season they are money.
duckhunter83
Newb

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm

I hunt anything from small potholes, to marshes, to lakes. I have found the mojo is a duck magnet, it just depends what side of the magnet is facing out on that day. They either love it, or hate it. The jerk string works awesome, i made a simple one last year, just a real heavy weight on a decoys line, double the line over on the keel so no more will go out when pulled, and i took a spool of fishing line, (30lbs test, just what i had lying around ) with a big snap i attach to the keel, the decoys wont pull forward and backwards, but just tugging on the line makes great ripples, turned a lot of ducks with it
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby godevil2921 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm a 30+ year duck hunter that has hunted the Mississippi river in Minnesota and Wisconsin for all of my years duck hunting. I just started to hunt with a partner last year. My partner is a novice. Her first gun was purchased at the start of last season. I am without a doubt the worst caller in the world. To compensate for this I spend countless hours watching birds-my home over looks a Mississippi river bottom. When I decoy I try to create spreads that resemble what I've seen in the marsh based on wind direction and species. I have a mojo I use occasionally and I have a jerk line I use. I have wobble butts and motion magnets I use in calm water. I also use confidence decoys very regular. Early season teal and wood duck will come in on a Heron decoy like you can't believe. A couple of coot decoys or geese can work wonders. I like to believe that most of the wary birds we as hunters experience is related to #1-concealment and #2 our decoy spreads.

Last weekend my partner noticed that even with my good practice of concealment and decoying we had several flocks work us 3-5 passes and then casually take off staying just out of range but never committing. Some so close to being shootable that my partner was shaking with anticipation. We took ten birds on Sunday all over the decoys. 5 apiece. We left at 10:00 am and went in to watch my beloved Vikings lose to the Cowboys. Late afternoon after the game we spent more than an hour watching the birds coming into the marsh behind my house. My partner was fascinated. Everything we watched reacted exactly the same way they did for us in the morning hunt. Live birds by the hundreds on the water- the ones coming into land made 3-5 sometimes more passes before they would land and sometimes they would just fly off in a different direction never landing- just like we saw in the morning hunt. Debate over the mojo or jerk lines all day. I'm glad I don't understand it and I'm glad I can't figure it out-that's exactly why I continue to hunt. I love it.
godevil2921
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:25 pm

I think the two have different purposes ,
We use a mojo spinning wing to pull ducks that are way out the flash can be seen from extreme distances from the air.
We use jerk strings or mallard machines when it's still to add life to the decoy spread.
I never use a jerk string or any motion maker with a good wind because the decoys are moving already.
So they both have there place.
Here in California we can't use spinning wings until December and I'm not sure my sats show any difference in kill ratio
But I'm not competing with a guy next to me with a spinning wing until December either.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby HonkQuackBang » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Mojo teal work great over here in Northern Ireland espically on the open water. The jerk string is a killer on still floods! :thumbsup:
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Postby DWRohrig » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:25 am

I run two mojos. one on a pole and one on a piece of foam. I fee like there are two key things to consider when using a mojo. They HAVE to be on a remote, once the birds start working you, kill the mojo. And always always always ,ake sure the mojo is as close to the water as you can get it. I also use a mallard macine to give me some ripples. Sometimes i feel like im running a duck carnival. just my 2 cent.
DWRohrig
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:51 am

We run about 7 or 8 mojos at our spot, and without them we kill less ducks. I have no idea why, but that's a fact.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Yam45 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 pm

I use 3 goose floaters on my jerk string for ducks. They make a lot of rippling on the water and definitely don't flare the birds like mojos do sometimes. Very inexpensive to make your own . Very effective to finish birds with jerk rig
Yam45
hunter

Postby red_duck » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:59 pm

I use the mojo's for first half of season then bring out the jerk rigs for movement, I invested in two wonderduck cyclones that I really liked using on calm days.
red_duck
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:39 am

hurtin_honkers wrote:I hunt anything from small potholes, to marshes, to lakes. I have found the mojo is a duck magnet, it just depends what side of the magnet is facing out on that day.

This ^.
Best post so far.
:thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby cutdown123 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 pm

In Arkansas, the birds see so much stinkin pressure I just prefer to nog use them. Jerk rigs have become king with most of the boys we run with-some days, they work---some days, I believe they make mighty fine boat anchors. And by the way, nice to meet y'all, I'm new here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cutdown123
hunter

Postby Back for more » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 pm

mojos. well actually now I'm running wonderducks , but mojos seem to always pull the ducks in. Late season though , you have to use staggered heights or they will be weary. I usually use a 10' ,'6' , 2' and water level.

Yet to see the spinning wings scare off close birds but that only in my experiences.

this is what multiple mojos usually yields me , but we all have different opinions.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (21.73 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Last edited by Back for more on Thu May 01, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu May 01, 2014 8:29 am

Nothing' looks better 'n 10-12 Mojos sparklin' in the sunlight. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri May 02, 2014 9:32 am

mudpack wrote:Nothing' looks better 'n 10-12 Mojos sparklin' in the sunlight. :thumbsup:

10-12 Mallard Drakes in my boat!!!! :lol:
kcwellington
hunter

Postby jellotree » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:12 am

I I hunt southern Ontario, Canada. And even here, the spinners have lost their effect. I don't have much faith in them when hunting the big public marsh (Lake Erie) except for Teal and fresh birds. They work wonders in the fields and on less pressured spots. But I figure if the birds get shy to them here, they must have them figured out by the time they hit the southern US. I'm still debating on picking up a super lucky duck or two. I run up to 2 baby Mojos and 2 Mojo Teal from time to time in the public marsh, but only early season, and it seems the Teal and Gadwall are the usual suckers. That said, the mallards figure out pretty quick where the sanctuary is and how to get to and from the feed ponds safely.

I have a wonderduck super paddle wheel that I tried last year. Used the black wings and also tried the paddle feet. It looks like it would work, but I noticed no difference. Some ducks would flare off of it in close and I never noticed any ducks really zero in on it.

My best success in the public marsh comes early morning and last light with a jerk rig and my call. Mind you, I hunt the smaller cut ponds of the marsh. The "outer" blinds that extend out into the Bay may see more benefit from spinners and less from jerk rigs because it's usually quite breezy out there anyways.
jellotree
hunter

Postby ALLSTAR1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:51 pm

Rig em right jerk cords are worth the money. They are well designed and hold up for multiple seasons. I run three regulat size hen mallards for all species.
we use wonderducks where vegation will not fowl them (pun intended) or when they ice up completely, MOJOs on sunny days.
ALLSTAR1
hunter

Postby Back for more » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 pm

jellotree wrote:I I hunt southern Ontario, Canada. And even here, the spinners have lost their effect. I don't have much faith in them when hunting the big public marsh (Lake Erie) except for Teal and fresh birds. They work wonders in the fields and on less pressured spots. But I figure if the birds get shy to them here, they must have them figured out by the time they hit the southern US.

I can assure you that's not the case . I'm in new Mexico and they still fall for mojos. Even after they have came all the way from Canada and through th Midwest. Even after they've seen hundreds of spreads
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:03 pm

we use two baby mojos on poles about 7 feet above the water, the extra height gives more visibility and it seems we have had better luck with them higher in the air.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby cobra bait » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:42 pm

i havent read through the 7 pages but heres my take:

i like the mojos. i got the baby two pack and they have worked well. now i havent gone back to the marsh i used to hunt and only used them on the big main river at my house. the birds see them from a long distance and seem to come check them out. last season i started using a jerk string- attached to the mojo pole. i wrap a bungee cord around the pole, use monofilament with some drop loops with swivels and attach the decoys to that. on the river bank when the ducks come up the river you pull the line and the decoys turn and swim on an angle like a pair up river. looks really realistic!the decoys float 5-10 feet down stream then swim right up the bank and when you let go they dable and swim back down. i have butt up decoys i just got so i am gonna give them a shot next week on the opener.

my cell takes crap pics but the two ducks dead center are on the jerk string and swim together.
and it keeps my 8 year old daughter entertained in the blind!
cobra bait
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting