Jerk strings vs mojo's

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Jerk strings vs mojo's

Postby Grunt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

I use both..... As far as the Mojos go, I only use the teal and the baby mojos. In my experience the smaller sized mojos work best. More birds seem to flare with the larger sized dekes. The teal love the mojo in my neck of the woods. As far as the jerk string I attach 3-5 dekes depending on set up time, whether I have to bust a whole in the ice or whatever, running late, etc.

Honestly I think they both have their applications. Its all about using them properly and the right timing. Ducks later in the season typically know about mojos.

I also now have a weezleball decoy for this upcoming season. WIll let you know how it goes.
Grunt
hunter

Postby gomarsh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:53 pm

If you hunt fields , small ponds on farm land or small creeks, where there is no pressure definetly use a mojo. If you hunt marshes or big water use a jerk rig. Us as hunters almost seemed to become reliant on mojos because when they first came out it seemed that they were full proof. Now all birds do is flare from them on open water. I switched to a jerk cord 2 seasons ago, and it was the best decision i ever made for duck hunting. The rig em rite is simple, not to expensive and you can clip 4 decs to it. This is the one i got and i love it, i rarely need to call anymore and it works amazing.
gomarsh
hunter

Postby duckman25 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:38 pm

BAN SPINNERS
duckman25
hunter

Postby DuckSmacker1010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Down here in Texas, I have had good success with both. Jerk strings work better on perfectly calm mornings when there is no wind. Mojo's work better on really windy days as the rougher water tends to break up the outline of the pole. I usually hunt in water that is less than 3 feet and I made a pole for my Mojo that keeps it about 6 to 8 inches above the water. On a calm morning I will turn the white wings of the mojo upwards for the contrast but I will leave it off and use my jerk string just to put a little motion in my spread. This is usually a deadly combination. After daybreak, or retrieving our first few sets of birds I usually turn the mojo on. The Mojo also works good on clear days when the birds are flying high too. I guess to each his own but my spread wouldn't be complete without both in it.
DuckSmacker1010
Newb

Postby BigMuddy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:54 am

duckman25 wrote:BAN SPINNERS
DuckSmacker1010 wrote:
gomarsh wrote: i rarely need to call anymore and it works amazing.
I could live without the spinners , but couldn't duck hunt without doing some kinda of calling ! That's half the fun of duck hunting, calling in the ducks !-- Well I'm off to the farm to do some mowing and check out the new floating blind me and my duck buds just got . You all take care and stay cool ---a few more of this 100 plus days here in Missouri and might might self combust or explode !-- :help:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:08 am

even if you DO get caught with the coerd in your hand,,let em' land sit tight and they will draw in more then jump shoot em',I've seen ducks land inches away from decoys in early morning fog,with little movement,from the current ,and 3 guys and a dog less than 10 or 12 yards away,we had to wait a couple of minutes till shoot time while more poured in!!HAIRRAISING!!!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Matt Hogan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

Fowl'in up NORTH wrote:Thanks guys I think I will go down the jerk string path but is the rig'em right worth buying it or not

For the price of the Rig'Em Right one, It is DEFINATLY worth buying. It folds up into to a little nice compact case and it fits in your hand. Fits easy in your coat pocket or blind bag. Sooooo easy to use. Defiantly worth it
Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.
Matt Hogan
hunter

Postby gomarsh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 pm

I Didnt say i dont call, i said i dont need to call as much. I hunt several days of the season for all types of birds. I am extremely involved in duck hunting and still call, but sometimes calling does not work and many serious hunters can agree that you need to change it up sometimes. point; the jerk cord works amazing!
gomarsh
hunter

Postby Matt Hogan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:51 pm

gomarsh wrote: point; the jerk cord works amazing!

x2!
Matt Hogan
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:13 pm

it has been my experience in flooded rice fields, the mojo works great at first shooting light but as the day goes on the jerk string tends to do better........ducks definitely work different day to day. what works today may not work tomorrow.....
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Let's sticky this for the upcoming season.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:10 am

Used jerk cords for years , but with all the newest decoy inventions ( Decoy wing splashers, Mallard Machine,Quiver decoys & Mojo's ) ect. there's an easier way . Now that they have remotes for them and settings that turn them on and off with a timer seems easier then dealing with manually jerking a cord . Not the greatest fan of all that new stuff , but I still use it when available .
Also know that sometimes the best calling is no calling at all , or very soft calling. If the ducks are heading towards you STFU , or feed chuckle or very soft quacks. I sometimes forget and call to loud and long , usally when the other blind mates won't STFU either-- :no:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby Matt Hogan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:Let's sticky this for the upcoming season.

Great idea
Matt Hogan
hunter

Postby Jared Green » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:29 am

Battery powered decoys are illegal here in Oregon, and the wind powered spinners are no help on windless days when you need movement the most, so a jerk string is my go to. That being said, I have been considering a Wing Waver decoy to get the movement up in the air and more visible. Anyone have any experience with them?
Jared Green
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:57 am

I've never heard of them , but they come out with new stuff all the time ! My sister lives in Troutdale, Oregon . Been out there a few times to go salmond fishing in September on the Columbian River . No fireworks , no battery powered decoys ----dang can't they let anyone have ANY fun out there ?----Well there is the salmond fishing and Rooster Rock ---but they oughta ban all men and any females over 30 from sunbathing there--- :yes:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby Jared Green » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 pm

BigMuddy wrote:I've never heard of them , but they come out with new stuff all the time ! My sister lives in Troutdale, Oregon . Been out there a few times to go salmond fishing in September on the Columbian River . No fireworks , no battery powered decoys ----dang can't they let anyone have ANY fun out there ?----Well there is the salmond fishing and Rooster Rock ---but they oughta ban all men and any females over 30 from sunbathing there--- :yes:

Ya, I hear that. I say ban Rooster Rock sunbathing and let me have mojos, mechanical broadheads, inline muzzleloaders, bait and dogs for cougars and bears. One of the most rural states in the Union, with the most liberal politics. Seems every liberal crazy in the country leaves whatever place they have already ruined and moves to Portland and commits themselves to turning this State onto the same cesspool they just fled from. That little corner of the state has the numbers to vote in anything and anyone they want.
Jared Green
hunter

Postby cwsims84 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 pm

BigMuddy wrote:I've never heard of them , but they come out with new stuff all the time ! My sister lives in Troutdale, Oregon . Been out there a few times to go salmond fishing in September on the Columbian River . No fireworks , no battery powered decoys ----dang can't they let anyone have ANY fun out there ?----Well there is the salmond fishing and Rooster Rock ---but they oughta ban all men and any females over 30 from sunbathing there--- :yes:

I live in oregon but lived in california before this season. no battery or motor operated decoys, hand power only. California on the other hand you can have battery and motor after Dec 1st. this will be first year using a jerk cord.
"....And I broke out my Blunderbuss!"
cwsims84
hunter

Postby huntnut » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:36 pm

I like jerk strings, no batterys to change out and mantain. If you are setup for both ducks and geese the jerks dont flair geese like spinners.
huntnut
hunter

Postby Matt Hogan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Yea thts the other thing with mojos...they can flare the geese sometimes
Matt Hogan
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:25 pm

I rig the mojos to a battery in my blind via the use of watertight conduit. I turn the mojos on to get long birds' attention. Once the break 100-150 yds I flip a switch and those spinners go off. That seems to work deadly magic on the big ducks.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:26 am

MODuckkiller wrote:I rig the mojos to a battery in my blind via the use of watertight conduit.

Pretty sure most folks who hard-wire them just use extension cord.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:I rig the mojos to a battery in my blind via the use of watertight conduit.

Pretty sure most folks who hard-wire them just use extension cord.

The phrase "use what resources you have available" comes to mind when I talk about how I do it. My family jsut got doen building a cabin on our land -> leftover conduit -> free resource -> mojos rigged to on/off switch in battery with less expenses. :yes:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby backwaterxplorer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:27 am

My "Rig 'em right" jerk string holds 5 decoys I believe. You were asking about which to use...on occasion I'll use both and if you feel you are giving to much action/movement and spookin birds just hold off on the jerk string and let them sit....I've got a mallard drake full size mojo and it rakes
backwaterxplorer
hunter

Postby Waverunner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:16 am

We use big mojos, baby mojos and teal mojos, along with a mallard machine and 2 wonderduck paddle wheels. all ran back to the boat on a switch. Somedays it works great others not so much. If the mojos flare ducks we don't use them or shut them off. We have different size poles to adjust height. And if we put them high we put the pole amongst the brush. Its your own preference and if you want to try it go for it. If you don't like it somebody will buy it off of you.
Waverunner
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 am

I use both. I rigged a bungee onto the end of the mojo pole where it's down on the end that gets shoved into the mud. I carry the jerk-rig in it's own bag and connect that with a caribeener. I have it set up like a trawt-line with just two or three knotted places for the decoys to clip at. I use trawt-line clips and clip the decoys on the very last thing. I really ram my pole into the mud good.

So if it's dead-calm. I'll pull on the jerk cord but if it's windy. Not so much. I use multiple mojos but not always. sometimes none.
Depends on what's working that day.

Another tip is to put panty hose on the wings of your spinners. Works on cloudy days and I just leave them on. I felt the wings we're too shiny. I read the tip in Ducks Unlimited magazine, tried it and am convinced enough to leave panty hose on my mojos. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Rick calls spinning decoys a tool and that's what they are. Jerk-string is a tool also. Having a full tool-bag and using all the tools you have in most effective manner will help you become more successful. Duck calls and decoys. The seat you use. Blind material choice. More tools.

p.s. Geese HATE spinning winged decoys.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting