Jerk strings vs mojo's

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Jerk strings vs mojo's

Postby Coleman24 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:35 am

Jerk String!! But than again I am not allowed to used electronic decoys in PA
Coleman24
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Coleman24 wrote:Jerk String!! But than again I am not allowed to used electronic decoys in PA

seems like alot of you guys aren't allowed to use spinners. How many states have disallowed them, and what are they?
''Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.''
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:31 pm

1diverdown wrote:
Coleman24 wrote:Jerk String!! But than again I am not allowed to used electronic decoys in PA

seems like alot of you guys aren't allowed to use spinners. How many states have disallowed them, and what are they?

I would imagine it has to do with the bird numbers in the region. Over here in OR we aren't allowed to use electronic spinners, only manual powered or wind. Since we don't quite the large migrations numbers as in the central states my guess is that it would be "unfair" advantage to use electronic spinners. Honestly I'm just guessing, I don't know the answer.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:34 pm

www.bluemoon-outfitters.com/jerksting.html
www.ducks.org/hunting/decoys/how-to-make-a-jerk-string

Here's a couple pretty good tutorials on how to make your own jerk string. The top one is what I used to make mine. You can gather other ideas from both of them.
Attachments
jerk_flow_5401.jpg
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby 1diverdown » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for sharing those.Some real good ideas for materials.
''Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.''
Winston Churchill
1diverdown
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:37 am

Mojos, without a doubt.
You need at least six of them.
A dozen is better.

( I have stock in Mojo Outdoors.....)

:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:45 pm

i use both! i couldn't function right without my mojos! but i always the extra ripples and realistic motion with some Butt-up and skimmer decoys attached to a jerk string. espically hunting these west Ky flooded corn fields :thumbsup:
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:29 am

My jerk string has up to four spots to attach dekes, I use only two or three. I like using a mix of surface feeders and upright mallards. Works very well when you employ 2 or more jerk strings with large spreads. :yes:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Lookin4Bandz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Either way you can't miss the mark. If you have the money to spend on a Mojo I would. Gander Mountain has a cheaper version "the expedition" or something. That is what me and my buddies have and they bring the ducks in just as good as the Mojo's. I also have a jerk string that we use made by rig em right. I like that too b/c if you have someone with you that doesnt call that gives them something to do when ducks are working. If you are able to have both, that is what I would do.... Good luck
Lookin4Bandz
hunter

Postby RFerguson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:14 am

We use both. Pull the MOJO after the first hour or so and then just use the jerk rig. That MOJO is deadly first light, then it seems to lose it's appeal as the morning wears on. If it came down to where I could only use just one it would be the jerk rig every time!
RFerguson
hunter

Postby fultz_danNWPA » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:40 pm

1diverdown wrote:

Thats an interesting question. I am from PA and we aren't allowed electronic decoys. I go to school in WV and we are. There are far more birds that come through my region of PA than there is in WV. So I don't think the number of birds matter.

As for mojo vs. jerkstring....well i just got my first mojo and only used it one. It worked well but I don't think I will leave my jerk string at home ever.
fultz_danNWPA
hunter

Postby Wirehair1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 pm

I use a jerk line with 4 decoys and 2 wind ducks. I hunt in Washington State where power decoys are illegal. Both work well at certain times and I would't want to leave either at home. One frustrating thing no one has mentioned is dogs getting caught in the jerk line. Seems like no matter where you set it up or where you kill a duck in relation to the jerk line, a dog will get caught in the jerk line and cause a mess. Anyone have a solution to this problem?
Wirehair1
hunter

Postby ytuffy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Wirehair1 wrote:I use a jerk line with 4 decoys and 2 wind ducks. I hunt in Washington State where power decoys are illegal. Both work well at certain times and I would't want to leave either at home. One frustrating thing no one has mentioned is dogs getting caught in the jerk line. Seems like no matter where you set it up or where you kill a duck in relation to the jerk line, a dog will get caught in the jerk line and cause a mess. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thats what I want to know also.
"Honorable scars are not to be penalized"
ytuffy
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Now that your law's about to change, an electronic Mallard Machine is one way to avoid tangling.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby duckman25 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37 pm

i think too many ppl rely on the mojo to make their hunt, i believe skill and knowledge are far more superior to any gadget you can have, the robo takes the place of skill...i refuse to use them but on calm sunny days the mojo gets the attention of the ducks in the timber, i can usually call them off the mojo once they get low enough to hear me. i personally believe the mojo has ruined public timber hunting in arkansas and would love to see them banned. its becoming less and less of who is the best duck hunter who kills the most birds and more about who can set up the most gadgets, and most of the time all the gadgets are not needed at all. i'd like to see people go back to learning how to hunt and and call better instead of relying on the spinner.....needless to say i'm a jerkstring guy!!!
duckman25
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:52 am

I'll take a jerk string with two drakes and a hen in the timber. In the rice, I hate a jerk string. Though they're a permanent fixture with our pits, you can bet this klutz gets tangled in 'em far too often for my liking.

As for mojos, I absolutely hate 'em. Doesn't mean I don't use 'em when necessity dictates, just hate the thought. Don't care how good a caller you are, and I hunt with as good as there is by any measure, there are those days when the fellas in the pit next to ya will kill all the birds with their three if you don't set some out. Go ahead and believe the callin's just not good enough, but listen closely when the wind's right. They're probably not even usin' a call those days.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:57 am

quackerattacker wrote:Don't care how good a caller you are, and I hunt with as good as there is by any measure, there are those days when the fellas in the pit next to ya will kill all the birds with their three if you don't set some out. Go ahead and believe the callin's just not good enough, but listen closely when the wind's right. They're probably not even usin' a call those days.

I doubt that I'm "as good as there is by any measure," but I've been surrounded by spinners as long as they've been available and never felt the need of one for competition purposes when big ducks were the target. (Teal are another matter.) May be different on up the flyway, but a good caller will more than hold his own with them down here.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:10 am

I often hunt a small 3-4 acre pond that is completely out of the wind. On all but the windest days it if flat out slick. I made a 3 coot jerk rig just to keep ripples on the water. Water movement in the spread is a big plus while hunting. I still use a Lucky Duck with a remote also so I can turn it off if needed.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby duckman25 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
quackerattacker wrote:Don't care how good a caller you are, and I hunt with as good as there is by any measure, there are those days when the fellas in the pit next to ya will kill all the birds with their three if you don't set some out. Go ahead and believe the callin's just not good enough, but listen closely when the wind's right. They're probably not even usin' a call those days.

I doubt that I'm "as good as there is by any measure," but I've been surrounded by spinners as long as they've been available and never felt the need of one for competition purposes when big ducks were the target. (Teal are another matter.) May be different on up the flyway, but a good caller will more than hold his own with them down here.

Amen Rick!
duckman25
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I doubt that I'm "as good as there is by any measure," but I've been surrounded by spinners as long as they've been available and never felt the need of one for competition purposes when big ducks were the target. (Teal are another matter.) May be different on up the flyway, but a good caller will more than hold his own with them down here.

:lol3: ... would all but guarantee you can hold your own in the field with any of 'em Rick, and do believe ya missed the point. I hate spinners, but keep some in the pit for that "just in case". There is no substitute for good callin'. But there are those days when you've hunted the same ducks comin' off that same reservoir every day for too long, and today it's just not workin'. On that day, maybe a widgeon whistle and a couple o' spinners fills the strap while your neighbors are high-ballin' and gripin' about call shy ducks. Really doubt there's much difference in the ducks here, other than we're more dependent on the big ducks for full straps.
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 am

What works for you works for you. But I'm much more confident in my ability to put tough big ducks over the plate without a spinner than with.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rtyler4616 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 pm

ytuffy wrote:
Wirehair1 wrote:I use a jerk line with 4 decoys and 2 wind ducks. I hunt in Washington State where power decoys are illegal. Both work well at certain times and I would't want to leave either at home. One frustrating thing no one has mentioned is dogs getting caught in the jerk line. Seems like no matter where you set it up or where you kill a duck in relation to the jerk line, a dog will get caught in the jerk line and cause a mess. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

First I need to figure out how to keep myself from getting tangled up in the jerk string. Without fail, at some point during the hunt I'm going to have stepped on, tripped over, or tangled up the jerk rig. Once I figure out the solution for myself, I'll worry about my dog. Odd enough I can't remember him really getting tangled up in it (not to say it he hasn't) but I'm definately the culprit much more than he is.
"Call em in or Blow em Out"
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Wed May 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Now that your law's about to change, an electronic Mallard Machine is one way to avoid tangling.

BOOM! I love these things. Put out a TON or ripples.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:34 am

I HATE flippy and all his' cousins! Too fragile and I get alot more satisfaction out of using a jerk string. I can fix a jerk string even after getting it in the prop ect.

I used seven decoys on my string last season for lots of movement.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby BigShotOutdoors » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 pm

labmanlyle wrote:I have a baby mojo, mojo teal, and big mojo mallard. plus two different jerk rigs. One for deep water with and one I use in the marsh. They are set up a little different. I believe to constantly get your limits you need to be prepared and have the right equipment for that hunt that day. Last year at the end of the season I was have trouble getting birds to commit. I was just using a spread of about a dozen dekes in this slough I was hunting.(real still water) I ordered me a jerk rig and the next hunt it was like magic. The birds dropped right in the spread. I'll never forget that sight of those mallards coming down through those dead trees in the slough and the sun had just broke to where the colors on the birds was real bright. If you want to always be able to get birds you need to have every tool out there. Also the more experience you have the better you will get

How is your deep water jerk rig set up?
BigShotOutdoors
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting