New Trap Gun JC Higgins ?

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

New Trap Gun JC Higgins ?

Postby wilsonlabs » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:14 pm

I have a old JC Higgins pump with a Poly Choke could this gun be used at trap?
wilsonlabs
hunter

Re: New Trap Gun JC Higgins ?

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:24 am

any 12ga to 410 can be used.............any style or type.

You are good to go !
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm

The answer is yes it can. Most shooter use a full choke, even at 16 yards. You might find that the comb is a little low for trap targets, but you can add to it easily. You will probably find that if you use the top of the trap house roof as a hold point, instead of holding higher, it will help. I traded for a plain barreled Model 12 this fall and watched a kid break a 23 with it, so field gun work. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:27 pm

It will work but isnt the ideal gun for trap because of it being a field grade gun. If all you needed to have good scores everytime was a field grade gun nobody would ever sell a gun designed for trap targets.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Shoot trap with it and have some fun, It will work fine. I have shot 25's with an old pump Mossy 500 and 870's (NOT EVERY TIME OF COURSE :sad: ). Just a couple months back my son did it with a 1939 full choked Remington pump. A high $$$ fancy trap gun is not necessary but it could help, I would not know as I do not see the point in having a gun that is only good for one purpose, and I only shoot trap a couple of times a year. I love watching the guys at the sporting clays course getting all bent out of shape when those of us shooting our camo duck guns beat their scores. :yes: Although it is a different game than trap, If I shot competition sporting clays I would probably buy a nice O/U so I can have 2 choke choices at every station and I could hunt with it too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Target Shooting