New to Idaho

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

New to Idaho

Postby Dougdog66 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:59 am

Im new to Idaho (Texas native) and im in the Air National Guard here in Boise. I want to get into some ducks with a friend of mine from the base but neither of us have a dog or a boat. I was wondering where would be a good place for us to go to get some birds withought having to swim and retrive. I have heard of "jumping ditches" but am unsure of where to start. Any advice would be appreciated and what a good forum for hunters!!!! Keep up the good work!
Raised in Texas but got to Idaho as fast as i could!!
Dougdog66
Newb

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:15 am

well season closes the 20th, so you are just about out of time... sorry i can't help you because im from the good part of the state and really dont know much about down there... welcome to the forum though :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby IDwtrfowler22 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:33 am

Dougdog, you might try the area around middleton especially lansing lane, lots of blinds and no need for a boat, just make sure you have waders, or there is fort boise out by parma, there is a couple of public land blinds on the snake near walters ferry near nampa/melba
IDwtrfowler22
hunter

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:30 am

31st for are area and what make N.Idaho Better? It seems to me it freeze every think up even the boat ramps so what good it that? Fort boise is your best bet for Public Group but watch out for Sky busters... you also can float the boise river and jump shoot if you has a way of doing that! good luck and have fun....

Jake
Jacob Hyer
Idahofowlweather
hunter

Postby cootkilla » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:10 pm

I do believe that we close here on the 27th. And speaking from experience... WE live in the GOOD part of the state. When everything up north is frozen we are still hunting... :getdown: As far as places to go without a boat or dog... Boise river... Anywhere you can get in, Fort boise or any of the WMA's just be ready to be rained on with steel.. :thumbsdown: Good luck and welcome :thumbsup:
cootkilla
hunter

WOW

Postby Dougdog66 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Man you boys are quick!!!! I think im gona like this forum. I do appreciate the feedback to, you gave me enough spots to keep us busy until the close of the season so i appreciate it. I will let ya know how we do and when duck close's there is allwayse Chucker season!! Man you gotta love this state. Thanks again
Dougdog66
Newb

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:28 pm

oh sure you all can live in denial that the south is better.... with all those potatoes... and dirt... and.. um... i think thats about it :toofunny: but seriously though im just joshin with you guys... anywhere in idaho is better than any other state in my book... :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Idahofowlweather » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:57 pm

potato's come on man we have CORN!!! its like Crack to the Mallards :toofunny: Man your right Killer I was thinking the 31st man I'm getting screwed this year it must be OR that goes to the 31st...
Jacob Hyer
Idahofowlweather
hunter

here goes nothin

Postby Dougdog66 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:19 am

Well tomorow im headin out. Going to a few spots around parma that a friend of mine knows of and im going to try and hit a few spots you guys told me about to. Ill let ya know how it goes. Thanks again for all the help. Also, does anyone know if Trueblood WMA is good or not?
Dougdog66
Newb

Postby bigbrdhntr » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:28 am

Texas? How did a good ole boy from Texas learn to shoot ducks in Idaho? You must have one great friend!!!!
Kick em up, knock em down, Call em in and put em on the ground!!
bigbrdhntr
Newb

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:45 am

cootkilla,

It never freezes enough up here to completely shut off hunting. You just have to posess the knowledge, desire, stamina and equipment to get to the open water. What I like about the Panhandle is that unless you want to hunt the most crowded spots, you don't have to. We never have conflict with other hunters when we pick our spots this way. I will grant you the fact that So. Idaho has more birds, but I have always said that I'd rather shoot a few birds in a non "combat hunt" situation than scratch out a limit shoulder to shoulder with other groups. Life is too short for that kind of stress.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby cootkilla » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:15 am

HH that is why the best place in on the snake. Miles and miles of water that does not freeze over. If there are alot of people there are miles of water to hunt away from the combat zone.. :mrgreen: As far as Ted True blood. Now that IS a combat Zone.. :getdown: Last I saw they looked frozen over but with all the rain and warm weather it might be thawed out.
I do believe it is Oregon that closes around the 30th. They had a split so that they could get that last weekend.. Something Idaho should think about. But then again when you leave decisions in the hands of well lets just say the non-educated or the desk jockys that never get out and hunt, then this is what you get. :pissed: Can not believe it closes on a Friday.
cootkilla
hunter

What a trip

Postby Dougdog66 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:55 am

Well I am happy to report that I came home with 7 Mallards and 1 green wing teal. It was windy and rainy (good duck hunting weather) so I think I did alright. I learned that knocking on a door or two in the farming community can get ya a long ways, and the value of being good with your duck call is priceless. Lookin forward to closing the season strong with at least 1 more trip next Tuesday. Anyone have any advice on Chucker? Gota keep that shotgun broke in during the off season. Thanks again for all the input fellas.
Dougdog66
Newb

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting