Shipping back collector ducks

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Moderator: AAR

Shipping back collector ducks

Postby Honkaholic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 pm

I am off to study abroad in Peru and while there I plan on doing some hunting. The Andean goose is at the top of my list along with a Bahama Pintail.

My question is what do I need to do to have these birds shipped back to the US for taxidermy and how much is it going to cost?

Also what tips do you have for getting them back in good shape? I am planning on slipping them into a nylon and freezing them and then shipping them back to my parents where they can store them in a freezer until I return.

Lastly any recommendations on taxidermists would be great, I am in Colorado. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.
Honkaholic
Newb

Re: Shipping back collector ducks

Postby Bgold » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56 pm

wow, I dont even know where to start on this one.

You're going to have a ton of problems sending a dead animal (guts intact) through customs. If I were you I would look and see if there is a taxidermist IN peru that can do the work and ship it to you after he's done. That would get rid of alot of the problems with customs.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:13 pm

If you ship you will have to come through and expediter that will forward them to an USDA approved taxidermist. It can be done but would be easier to bring them back with you and then clear customs with a 3-177 form which will generate a 16-78 form to go to the authorities in the U.S. to make all things legal. Each country may or may not have documentation for export and I believe Peru does. You will also have to have a valid hunting license from that country to prove that they were legally taken if asked. Ask your taxidermist if he is USDA approved. Many of us are as we import birds all the time. Do not put them in panty hose, but freeze them in plastic bags as air tight as possible. Panty hose/nylon can shred the feathers. A soft-sided cooler in your luggage or hard sided cooler will work fine. You can't send them to your parents as they have to go into an approved site for detoxing and processing. There are some great taxidermists in the Colorado like Todd Huffman that you should contact before going.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckhntr594 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 am

Waterfowler,
If you get your birds shipped to an approved taxidermist, do they have to mount all of them, or can you just pick them up from their shop? Im wondering because I would like to go on some of these collector hunts but would really like to mount my own birds.
duckhntr594
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:44 am

Once they are skinned, detoxed and cleared they can be picked up. Understand per the rules and regs pertaining to the USDA permit they have to be skinned, fleshed and chemically detoxed before they can be released. All refuse, carcases, etc. has to be burned including wrappings they arrive in and coolers have to be detoxed as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckhntr594 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:00 am

What if you carry them back with you? Do you have to personally bring them to a USDA licensed taxidermist or can you just bring them home?
duckhntr594
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:28 am

Any bird coming in from out of the country have to be cleared through customs to designated to an approved taxidermist. Once you clear customs they will either be shipped from there to the approved facility or you will sometimes be allowed, depending on your port of entry, to bring them to your home but an 11-78 form will be on file with the approved taxidermist, the USF&W, Customs and USDA having copies. I also get a phone call from the customs officer notifying me of an arrival. Within a timely manner if you were allowed to bring them to your home you will have to get them to an approved facility as the permit holder will be contacted to see if he received the shipment intact. They will usually have quarantined tape on them. Failure to do so will result in loosing your birds, a/or a fine or both. If they are delivered to an unapproved taxidermist they can seize everything in the freezer that they are in as it will be deemed contaminated. The risk isn't worth it as recently and Minnesota taxidermist and 3 clients had 5 figure fines each levied on them and confiscations from not playing by the rules. They don't play and failure to declare birds is smuggling contraban in the eyes of Customs and the TSA. It is so much easier to play by the rules. I've had people bring birds in on my permit then not forward them to me and I had no choice but to report them and let the aurhorities deal with it as I have to protect the integredy of my permit and can't take a chance on letting something slip by without accounting for it.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckhntr594 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm

I totally understand now. Thanks so much for clearing everything up for me!
duckhntr594
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Since Peru is in S.A. it's on the list for Hoof and Mouth, Exotic Newcastles Disease and other alerts birds/animals might carry which is why the USDA pays particular attention to anything coming from S.A.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby lats » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Peru has an export permit for game and requires a payment of 200 Peruvian Soles the exchange rate now is $1 USD for 2.7 Peruvian Soles

The permit takes about 3 weeks and will allow export of any animal that is on the Hunting calendar.

One payment per permit and one permit per animal…

In order to get the export permit in Peru you must have a Peruvian hunting license and game tag. I have posted the requirements for that in the international hunting section on this forum…
I don't hunt to live, I live for the hunt.
lats
hunter

Postby glass eye » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:33 pm

lats wrote:Peru has an export permit for game and requires a payment of 200 Peruvian Soles the exchange rate now is $1 USD for 2.7 Peruvian Soles

The permit takes about 3 weeks and will allow export of any animal that is on the Hunting calendar.

One payment per permit and one permit per animal…
In order to get the export permit in Peru you must have a Peruvian hunting license and game tag. I have posted the requirements for that in the international hunting section on this forum…

Is that $200 soles per species or per piece ?
If I have 2 torrent ducks is that $400 soles ?
Would a list of ducks and geese like this: 2 andean geese, 2 torrent ducks, 2 ruddy,2 crested duck,2 speckled teal = $1,000 soles ?
glass eye
hunter

Postby ducks-n-bucks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 am

If I read that correctly, at one permit per animal, your list looks more like 2000 Sol, or about 730 USD at the current exchange rate.
ducks-n-bucks
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting