Air Rifle Help

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Air Rifle Help

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:45 am

I am looking for a good quality, powerhouse for Rats and plinking. It has been a long time since my old Crossman 700 was "cool".
Any suggestions on what's out there these days.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Air Rifle Help

Postby toolmaker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:43 am

i got a sweet deal at Dicks Sporting Goods. it was a remington air rifle 1200 fps( higher with the fancy pellets) came with a really decent scope one pump system...solid walnut stock...looks like a deer rifle!!

was maybe $125 on sale!!!!!! I wish it came in .22 for more energy, but mine is .177 very accurate too!!

I am sure there are lots of great guns out there...but this is such a sweet rifle for the price...really happy with it...

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Tool-bagger....
Any need to go with the .22? Or is the .177 good enough? I want serious plinking power and I want to behead Starlings from a spot..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Stoeger X20 Suppressor.

1200 fps with integrated suppressor.
http://usa.stoegerairguns.com/products/stoeger_x20s_airgun.php

tucker301
hunter

Postby Jonny Boy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Gamo's are good. Crossman and Remington make some pretty decent rifles too....I have the crossman storm xt. Got it from walmart for around $100 bucks. Its pretty descent in power and accuracy, I hunt coons with it all the time. I wouldn't use the gold pellets they say make your gun super fast, they tumble in flight and are too light of a pellet to use in high powered air rifles. Check out some Beman Crow Magnum pellets. Devastating on small game.
Jonny Boy
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 am

Slack Tide wrote:Tool-bagger....
Any need to go with the .22? Or is the .177 good enough? I want serious plinking power and I want to behead Starlings from a spot..

if it ends up standing in the corner 362 days a year it doesnt matter much does it?? ha ha ha
for starlings the .177 might be all you need...flat trajectory for a small target at varied distances...

if you hunted game animals, Id say the .22 in 1000 fps or faster is what you want

i bet the slienced air rifles are illegal in ny...dont know, but that be my guess..

good luckl

the tool
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:54 pm

I got my Gamo Big Cat today, looks good. Freakin loud! I was really surprised....
Whhhhap!
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 am

Slack Tide wrote:I got my Gamo Big Cat today, looks good. Freakin loud! I was really surprised....
Whhhhap!

thats the sound barrier getting broken.....did you shoot the alloy pellets??

I was suprised as well how loud it was when I shot mine for the first time. Sounded like a .22 rifle!!

i bought mine to shoot the damm cat that was pissing in my carport.....and i wasnted to be stealth, thus the air rifle....NOT stealth!! ha ha ha

THE TOOL
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Seriously right?? Jeees, it is every bit as loud as my .22.....
I was all about sitting on the porch with the boy and plinking while he was crawling around. It's a mean looking piece, I am going to put the scope on it tomorrow. Alloys yes...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Seriously right?? Jeees, it is every bit as loud as my .22.....
I was all about sitting on the porch with the boy and plinking while he was crawling around. It's a mean looking piece, I am going to put the scope on it tomorrow. Alloys yes...

if you shoot the regular lead .177 pellets it might not sound as loud...but it will only be going 1000 fps

the speed of sound is what makes that crack and I think it is like 1100-1150 fps not sure which

have fun...

THE TOOL
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:05 am

at sea level the sound barrier is at only 1080 fps............. no worry since some of the larger 20,22 and 25 pellets
are launched at 850 to only 700 fps with 8.6 to the 14.2 grain pellets that can take out rabbits and woodchucks at
60 yards with the crow magnum ,that doubles its dia. with the extra speeds of 15 pound guns.

Wadcutters are great for 10 to 20 yards lite target guns and the round nose pellet is a good all around pellet.......
the hollow point needs max fps to work on game on impact,say 4-5 pounds and the pointed is good or all the lighter guns with 10 pounds or less.

Some guns need to be broken in before they become accurate, so don't be discuraged if your groups are not real tight on your
first few outings. Some take 400-500 shots to break in.
Happy shooting.

pyramid air.com
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby FranknBeans » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 am

I had just bought a Gamo SOCOM Carbine .177 the other day.. nice feeling rifle in the hands and does 1200 with those alloy pellets. got it on sale at Big-5 for $199 and picked up some other pellets that have a bb in the tip and some poly tipped ones too to try. right now im just trying to sight the gun in with the bb tipped pellets and seems like its all over the place. anyone have any time with this rifle or mabe know the breaking time length for them? i've put about 20-30 rounds though it now and my groups are 1-6" apart.. ugh!
Tree Huggers can kick rocks.
FranknBeans
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum