Where to get parts for a Go Devil in FL??

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Where to get parts for a Go Devil in FL??

Postby Ichabod97 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey mud motor experts/owners. I just traded my outboard for a Go Devil longtail this weekend. The 8hp briggs & stratton on it has been sitting outside for some time and has not been run in a couple years. I'm going to replace the motor with a brand new 10hp soon and already took the measurements to assure it will mount to my longtail frame.

I was on the Go Devil website and i saw a few things i was interested in possibly getting. The problem is i can't find anyplace that sells these parts unless you are buying a new motor. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking to get the swivel mount and i also wanted to see about possibly getting new seals for the ends of the shaft. So where in FL can i find a place that sells these parts or where online? Thanks for the help...
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Re: Where to get parts for a Go Devil in FL??

Postby chris_k » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Give GD a call. They can get you everything you need and ship it to your door. Great customer service.
Getcha Pull!
chris_k
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:56 am

Make sure you have your GDLT serial number ready when you call godevil they won't even talk to you unless you have an original serial number.

I just went through the same thing. I got an older LT frame for cheap and put a 11hp honda motor on it. I ran into some problems with the prop size and such and was unable to get much info from godevil. I ended up selling the thing just to get out from under it. The motor would only go 4-5 MPH on my 14' jon boat it sucked.

You might want to go over to MUDMOTORTALK.com and ask those guys. :beer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby BigBend » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 am

Godevil will sell you the parts. When looking for new engines make sure the shaft size, height and bolt pattern are the same. Might as well replace the u joint why your at it, they wear a certain way and it's easier to replace then try to get all the angles back up. If I were you I'd replace the carb, fuel line from tank to carb and sand down the points on your coil and fly wheel and not do an engine swap. That's what I did to mine and it runs like new. It's about 10 years old and I'm the 4th owner. Bit there might be a guy that will do the overhaul for you even if it is a go devil. PM me if you have any questions
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks for the answers guys. Where do i find the serial number for the LT? The sticker on the shaft is pretty much faded, but barely readable and that is for the greasing intervals.

Looks like the LT frame is galvanized. Some of the bolts on it are pretty damn rusty and i considered replacing most of those. Figured i might be able to find most of that hardware at a Lowe's or Home Depot. As for the engine, i considered taking to to a small motor mechanic, but it looks like it is in sad shape. I took the carb apart the other day and it was corroded horribly. The muffler and OHV cover is solid rust. The starter/rewind i think is shot. Broke the pull cord twice yesterday. Tried the electric start and all i heard was a pop and then nothing. The wiring is pretty shot too. That is why i was considering a whole engine swap. I can get a whole new motor for roughly $350 with an extended warranty. I already did the measurements and pretty much everything is the same. The shaft is the same size and is about an 1/8" higher than the shaft on the motor now.

Now would in need to change the prop since i'm going up 2 hp? I see those things are pretty pricey as well.

Thanks again guys.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby BigBend » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Compare rpms from old engine to new engine for prop size, too bad your current motor isn't running so you can't get the read off of a tiny tach. I wouldn't shell out the money for a new prop unless your not happy with how it's doing. I would assume your current prop is the same one gd uses on their 9 hp hondas, either way that's probably the one you would replace it with. Trust me though mudmotors are worth all this hassle lol. Harbor freight sells 9hp Honda clones cheap. They have pretty good reviews and a no questions asked warranty. Flawoodie on here sank his 6.5 , took it back and left with a new one. I've had some experience with the harbor freight engines and no problems to speak of, nearly identical to my Honda 6.5
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:49 pm

It's funny you mention those motors because that is what i was planning on replacing it with. They only have the 6.5, 11, 13 in the store near me and on their website. I was going to go with the 11hp. I read the good reviews and definitely plan on getting the extra warranty with it. I am going to do some research and see what i can find about specs from the motor that is on the frame now. The guy i got it from said it was an 8hp Briggs and Stratton. Not sure how old the rig is. All i see on the GD site are the 9hp Honda's. Guess we will see, hoping i will not be disappointed.

I know the weight is a big difference from my outboard though. Thinking about putting on some float boxes on the back of the boat now to help with the weight.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby Remman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 pm

go with the bigger motor, you wont be disappointed. not much weight difference. my 13 has a 8x4 prop shoot me a pm if you need more help..... good luck and welcome to the madness of mud running!! :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:19 am

You could have bought a turn key motor for what your going to spend screwing around with that one!! Should have took my advice and atleast talked to fast duck before you bought one....

On a side note why don't you let me use it while your gone next season.... I bet it will cook right along on my hybrid!!! LOL
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Ichabod97 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:43 am

you never got back to me with a price there buddy. anyways...i'll have about $400 in it when i'm done, so to me, that is not a bad deal. the motor i'm putting on it does have electric start too. and as for your hybrid...i think the weight would be too much.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby whaknstak » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I put a new harbor freight 13 on my old 16 horse gd frame this past Sept. Bolted right on and the prop from the original 16 pushes it just fine. Turn key every time first crank (when cold) only rub is when hot it is sluggish to restart. I would go with the 13 rather than the 11. The dimensions are exactly the same on the box. Height, weight, width. For fifty bucks you get two more HP. Better to have it and not need it imo. Great motors though for a good price. Get the warranty. A lemon could bite you if you dont.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Jloughran » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:32 am

Have a 04 beavertail, go devil sells a swivel mount that looks like it will fit my frame perfectly, go devil won't sell me anything unless I have a serial # for one of their motors/ any suggestion on how to get around their rule? Ps. Beavertail wants 800 for their part
Jloughran
Newb

Return to Florida Duck Hunting