lake seminole

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

lake seminole

Postby t-ville » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:13 pm

ive never hunted lake seminole, just some smaller ponds in my area. i was wondering if, since it is such a heavily hunted lake, 2 dozen decoys would be enough to bring in some ducks. i have a dozen mallards and the rest are teal and ringneck. i was told by a freind that he would loan me several dozen, but i'm not sure what they are. i'd also like to know if i should call them or just let them come to the dekes?
t-ville
hunter

Postby jedisme » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:31 am

calls are a waste of time on seminole. your shootin divers. this late in the season no way i'd throw out more than 6 decoys.
jedisme
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:35 am

I normally use about a couple of cans, 4-6 ringnecks, and quite a few coots. I never use more than 2 doz dekes though. Calling's pretty pointless
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby jedisme » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:06 pm

might wanna keep those can dekes in the boat. season for cans went out dec 30.
jedisme
hunter

Postby t-ville » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:55 pm

i have 1 dozen mallards, 4 ringnecks, and 6 teal. would it be worth it to buy a couple coots and throw them out too? also, would mallards be a good choice or should i leave them at home?
t-ville
hunter

Postby kg4yus » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:47 pm

jedisme wrote:might wanna keep those can dekes in the boat. season for cans went out dec 30.

The reg states taking or attemting to take canvasbacks after Dec. 30 is prohibnited

I asked several different Game Officers whether using Can dekes out of can season was consideried "attempting to take".
They all agreed that it was not, they would only conssider an attempt to take as if they had actually seen you shoot at a canvasback.
Mossy Oak Waterfowl - Pro Staff
Puddleset Decoy Anchors -Prostaff
FFWCC Hunter Safety Area Coordinator
kg4yus
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting