Concealed carry

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Concealed carry

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:00 am

Hey all. I was wandering what you all used for holsters to conceal carry your firearms. I have a springfield xd40 and am going to start conceal carrying what is the best holster? I also am looking for a little bit smaller sleeker style of pistol to carry without going so small i sacrifice fit and feel. What do you all carry? I am looking at a walther pk380? what do you all think?
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Re: Concealed carry

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 pm

I have a Ruger sp101 357 mag 2 1/4 inch barrel. Its a pretty sweet little gun. I bought some 38's to target shoot to save a little money. I looked around alot and the reviews for it are awesome if you google the gun.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby ring_main » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:34 pm

For a holster, both Crossbreed's Supertuck and Milt Sparks' Versamax are great holsters. Yahoo 'Crossbreed' and 'Milt Sparks' individually for their website.

Do not underestimate the importance of a good thick, stiff belt when carrying. It prevents you from having to cinch your belt way down when carrying in order to keep your pants from falling, and helps hide the gun better. I have the Crossbreed belt and it makes a world of difference compared to your typical dress belt or .mil nylon belt.

I carry either a S&W 642-2 .38 with Speer Gold-dots or a Glock 30 (.45) or a Glock 19 (9mm). The G30 conceals a little easier than the G19, in my opinion, even though it's not much different in size. The 642 is great for summer or when situation requires that you be extra discrete.

I don't know that I would go out of my way to buy a .380 if you don't already have it. Consider a compact 9mm or a .38 revolver-better bullet selection and power. That said the gun you do carry is better than the one you leave at home.

Your caliber choice and pistol are great, just purchase a quality hollowpoint (Speer Gold-dot, for example) and stay away from that stupid frangible crap or anything with a super-duper name because chances are they won't penetrate deeply enough. Make sure you shoot enough of it to ensure your pistol's magazines feed the defensive ammo properly. Practice with whatever, but practice.

There's a thread about concealed carry in the home defense forum just below this one that has some decent info.
ring_main
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Ditto on the thick wide belt. I carry a full sized Glock or a full sized 1911 99% of the time. I carry the Glock in a Minotaur holster, I think DeSantis makes it. I carry my 1911 in a Galco combat master holster. I carry both of them under a normal fitting tee shirt and no one can see it unless I'm bending around like a moron. Get a good holster and it won't matter what you carry, it'll be comfortable.

I hate .380's, and in all honesty I don't even like a 9mm. The only reason I'd have a .380 is for when I'm running because I could put it in my pocket. If it came down to a .380 and not carrying though, I'd go with a .380 every time. Better something than nothing at all. I've been considering a .380 for when I run. IF I get one it will be the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. It's the best feeling .380 out there in my opinion and I get to handle a lot of them since I sell guns for a living.

If you're thinking about a PK380, you might as well carry the XD40. There really isn't much of a size difference. Get a good holster for your XD and call it a day. Look into spending some money on a GOOD holster. Don't get one of those crappy Uncle Mikes holsters. Look to spend around a hundred bucks. If you'll be carrying a lot in shorts, get the Minotaur like I have or the Crossbreed. If it's not comfortable, you won't carry and if you have a cheap holster it won't be comfortable.

Good luck.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby carlschmarl2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:45 pm

"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:48 pm

brsutton86 wrote:I have a Ruger sp101 357 mag 2 1/4 inch barrel. Its a pretty sweet little gun. I bought some 38's to target shoot to save a little money. I looked around alot and the reviews for it are awesome if you google the gun.

I have one in the 3 inch version. Ordered a great IWB holster and couldn't be happier. But with that said, I also have an XD40 that I carry, A Sig 9mm and a FNP45 that I sometimes carry. So for me, it's all about the outfit.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:39 am

Which IWB did you get. I haven't got one yet been looking. I'm goin for my cc course in a couple weeks so I have time to look around. I really like the gun though, its my first pistol, never had anything but rifles and shotguns.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:14 am

brsutton86 wrote:Which IWB did you get. I haven't got one yet been looking. I'm goin for my cc course in a couple weeks so I have time to look around. I really like the gun though, its my first pistol, never had anything but rifles and shotguns.

http://www.concealco.com/iwb_revolver.html. Took about 8 weeks to get it but trust me, the wait is worth it!
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:50 am

Last season on guns and ammo I saw a holster/sling that was worn under a light waist long jacket or wind breaker for a
Uzzi ! About 16-18 inches of "Oh My" !!

That little guy with the glasses (mac ? )that holds the 38 revolver speed shooting was at the pistol range with his wife and she snuck it out on him in a race on the 15 yard targets....................

found it ...... Jerry Miculek
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum