pit blind flip tops

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

pit blind flip tops

Postby kwacksmacker40 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:50 pm

hey i was just wanting to get some of you guys thoughts and ideas how yall put flip top covers on your pits...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks
kwacksmacker40
hunter

Re: pit blind flip tops

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:05 pm

I've used pvc frame burlap skin, conduit frame sheet metal skin, plywood.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby quiksilvern7 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 pm

http://www.gibsonduckblindcoversinc.com/ great product, used them alot!
quiksilvern7
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker40 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:39 pm

how easy would it to be to build somethin like their setup? cant tell exactly how theyre made
kwacksmacker40
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:08 am

Using a flip top like that in the link can be like telegraphing a punch, in that its rapid motion will act to flare birds before the guns can come up. Not a problem on the really close stuff but will cost you some birds over time. That's why folks with pits large enough to accommodate it often use trap door covers hinged to drop down into the pit, which is less unnerving to game than a chunk of the landscape jumping toward them. And why we usually cover our more narrow pits with bundles of grass we can simply raise up through when it's time to shoot.

But if nothing but a flip top will suit you, they're easily made with 1/2" pvc frames and zip tie hinges.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:23 am

Rick Hall wrote:Using a flip top like that in the link can be like telegraphing a punch, in that its rapid motion will act to flare birds before the guns can come up. .

Thats exactly why we dont use flip tops!!! :thumbsup:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker40 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:02 pm

would they really cost that much time tho to flip em open and come up to flare the ducks? never hunted out of em but just seemed to me that would be the best way to go to stay covered up. thanks for all your thoughts...
kwacksmacker40
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:42 am

If you get too excited to pull loose bundles in tight to cover the hole and watch out a crack while birds work, I suppose you might need some sort of fail safe lid "to stay covered up". ('Course, if you're that excited, you're also apt to get your gun tangled in the lid at shooting time, too.)

In any event, here's a pic of the DHC traveling decoy and the coyote sitting on the end of one of our bundle covered blinds for comparison to the flip top linked above:

Suit yourself.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm

With flip top blinds you are shooting birds that are flaring!!! they see and are trying to get the heck out of there. We have these on our lease and i hate them. :mad: :mad:

We have bundles of grass on my buddies place that i spend more time at than my lease and the birds dont flare till the first shot goes off. Which if everyone is one the same page 3 birds can be hit before they knnow whats going on making real easy for multiple kills!!!!

With wind at your back 20 mph it doesnt take a duck a second to go from 25 yards to 45 yards
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting