Turkey ... Meet Smoke Pole ...

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Turkey ... Meet Smoke Pole ...

Postby Pouledeau » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:46 pm

7 yards ... whoops. Finally committed on Sunday morning at 9:07am ... big purdy Rio pushing 25 lbs. ... crisp cool and a bit humid. Had a few working on the roost and then poof, they're gone, which is pretty typical round these parts. Ground it out and had this lonely boy slip up real bad drumming the whole way in tight through a persimmon thicket straight to the muzzle.

I've got a better picture that shows the color a LOT better, but my phone just doesn't seem to want to send an email right now ... this one's a bit washed out.
Attachments
Dead Bird.jpg
Pouledeau
hunter

Re: Turkey ... Meet Smoke Pole ...

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:43 pm

nice one! bet he didn't expect a shotgun to be at the end of that path. :thumbsup:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby BigBend » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Nice when it all comes together like that. Good lookin bird, must have had a good bead on him cause you can miss that close with a tight choked turkey gun. That's the next subspecies I want to try to get.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Rio's are both fun and fustrating. Extremely vocal ... and then they get lockjaw real bad, but their beautiful birds. Biggest problem we've got is too many hens, but after they've done their deal ... you can usually find a lonely one in the afternoon if you can't get between 'em in the morning.

I never could get the photo I wanted to load up. Lots of greens, bronzes, gold, white ... hellofva bird. Called up his identical twin for my ole man 4 days later and that bird is off to the taxidermist ... fell at 12 steps that one.

I actually shot this Tom with my old Winc. 120 ... no choke in that gun unless its a Mod. or an I.C. built in.

Thanks guys ... it's been a good year so far.
Pouledeau
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum