Hunting on private land

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Hunting on private land

Postby gseith » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:27 am

I was looking for some opinions on how to handle a situation for next season, and I will try to keep it short.

My uncle has some property that he doesn't live on and hasn't been there for over 20 years. He gave me and some friends permission to hunt there and when I went there to do some scouting I found a bunch of blinds built. I asked him about it and he said I could kick other people off the property. After doing some investigating I found the guys hunting there and tried to talk reasonable with them and it seemed to go over well. Well I guess after they been hunting there for over 20 years they figured they didn't have to listen to me or the uncle who said stay off.

Just this past season I watched two deer lay down in some brush and I was waiting for a good shot, and one of them come walking through the middle of the property and just started shooting at them as they ran away. It wasn't bad enough that I watched them for two hours waiting for a shot, but he shot directly in the direction of a friend that was there with me. Wounded one of the deer and said it wasn't worth his time to track it, leaving me to track the wounded deer that I didn't shoot. Told him to leave, and he left but it kinda ruined my day. They come walking straight through the property and leave.

They don't stick around long enough to call anybody in to remove them or ticket them. The property is in the middle of know where, and they walk through and leave. The uncle has told them, but they don't seem to want to listen to me when I see them since it's not my property.

Is there any other options I can do to keep them off the property. It's to the point I don't think I will hunt there next year, because it's not worth my time to fight. I'm there to enjoy hunting, not getting into gun fights with hillbilly's. The property just has a lot of activity and I can see why they want to hunt there.

Thanks
gseith
hunter

Re: Hunting on private land

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm

take photographs, call sheriff. sheriff will probably not come out but in Oregon it is a right to hunt state and if you disrupt someones hunting by protesting or trespassing, fines will be issued by the police. of course you will probably have to get them on video and have to get their true names and what not.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby TomKat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm

My game cam takes great pictures. You need to get a lic plate # and have the sheriff go talk to them. That ought to be the end of it.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby gseith » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:18 pm

I guess I will have to try that route, I just figured without them being caught in the by the authorities it was useless. I know who they are exactly. There is a easement for a driveway right next to there property that they have gated to keep people out of the property for them self.
The first time I ran into the guy he told me to be sure to call and ask him if I could hunt there, so I wouldn't disrupt his plans. Of course I asked if he was kidding since I had signed permission.
I will try contacting the police, I just assumed since I was the land owner I wouldn't get anywhere. The uncle told them to stay out, but he doesn't really want to deal with the hassle of trying to keep them out. He said I can try whatever.
gseith
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:21 pm

or you could just shoot them in the back and dump their bodies in the river....

joking of course :lol3:
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:22 pm

unlike tomkat I would not suggest putting up a trail cam because obviously these people have no respect for private property and could possibly see your trail cam and steal or destroy it. might not be worth the money.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde

Postby gseith » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:26 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:unlike tomkat I would not suggest putting up a trail cam because obviously these people have no respect for private property and could possibly see your trail cam and steal or destroy it. might not be worth the money.

That's what I thought, I wanted to put a permanent tree stand there, but figured it would get stolen.
gseith
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:38 pm

unless you use a "decoy" cheap camera and use another camera hidden and get them, stealing/vandalizing your "decoy" camera but that seems like a lot of work for little results.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde

Postby fowlhunter » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:52 am

I bet if you talked to the game warden, and explained the situation he would hang out in that area or contact these guys. You kind of screwed the pooch last season. You could have gotten them with "want and waste". You and your friend saw him shoot a deer and then tell you he wasn't going to track it. You could have called the authorities and led them to the deer.

I wouldn't use the camera. If they know they are trespassing then it won't bother them to steel your camera. You could let them get in there and block the drive out. Just a suggestion, but that will more than likely end up in at least a verbal altercation.

I hope this season goes better.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby Sandman3400 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:53 am

Get a camera (or a couple) and put them in a lock box. Most cameras have a lock box available. Give pics to the game warden and sheriff. Advise both of what is going on and ask for help. They probably won't sit out there and wait, but they may do a few extra drive by's and look for cars parked, etc.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby gseith » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:48 am

It's kind of messed p that they gated the easement to the property, and said I had to ask them if it was OK to hunt there not to disrupt there plans. It's like after 20 years of trespassing and using as there own they think they own it.
gseith
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:49 am

Is it a deeded/legal easement that they have a locked gate on? Sounds like a chain tied to it and the corner posts are in order then.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:14 am

I bought a piece of property in 2006 and had similar issues. It had always been ungated, and the locals seemed to think it was their own. I gated it and put up Posted signs. At first they ignored them, but as they realized that I would actually be coming out there to use the property and would run them off if I found them there, they gradually quit trespassing. I still have to run someone off every now and then, but it is less and less as time goes by.

The funny thing is, while I don't want anyone else hunting there but me, I would not mind others fishing there. unfortunately I felt that I had to gate it because they showed absolutely no respect for the land. I am still cleaning up trash from the years of abuse. Much like the people you are running into (the guy not wanting to bother tracking a wounded deer).

I would say don't give up. They probably are lazy at heart and if you make it hard on them, whether by having the sheriff and game wardern keep an eye on them, or running them off regularly, they will probably eventually move on to somewhere easier.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby gseith » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:57 am

There is only 42 acres there that is surrounded by a farm they have permission to hunt. I am hoping to discourage them. I have even made the point that they have 160 acres they hunt around this plot, and that doesn't seem to make any sense to them.
I even tried making a deal with them to see if I could get permission to hunt his brothers land(his bother owns the 160 acres), but he said he couldn't make that happen.
I have tried to be reasonable, but I guess I will have to do a little fighting. Some people I guess are just disrespectful and greedy.
gseith
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 pm

LET'S GO KICK THEIR ASS!!!problem solved for a little while. :biggrin:
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde

Postby shootable Goose » Mon May 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Make my day law. Have your uncle come out hunting with you and because it's his property he can shoot those bastards
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:56 am

What's all this all about?? :lol:

Look's like they took down the spam that was posted up here.
Last edited by chinogoose on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chinogoose
hunter

Postby Apoc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 pm

hang in there. just keep trying. good hunting land is hard to come by. dont let those poachers win. :fingerpt:
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 am

You might want to get enforcement authority in writting from your uncle. Even though you may have written permission to hunt it That may not be seen as permission to remove tresspassers. Something that states you are an authorized agent for your uncle may give "you" more authority. You don't really say if it is posted or if you are in a no tresspass state. If the latter get it posted anyway. As mentioned get pictures if you can. Even if the warden can't legally do anything just talking to them may make a difference. I've been shut out of some properties I've hunted for 30 years. I don't go on them but I do try to negotiate a few days to get on them. I usually try to get weekdays if I can because that leaves the property available for the owners on the weekends. Some times it works out sometimes it doesn't.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:19 pm

If you are old enough - Get a legal lease agreement with your uncle. That will give you the right to prosecute the trespassers.

You will want photos of them doing their thing and more. A trail camera in a tree pointing down at their parking spot should do it.

Do they bother you by making a point to come over and harass you? Sounds like they are giving it their best shot.

You need to get the LAW involved and repute these losers every time they do something unbecoming. You can talk to your local game warden and maybe the local sheriff - in person. Tell them the story and ask them the best way to proceed so that they can help you. You need to worry about retaliation if you do have them arrested.

I was threatened by several guys at one point - my dad was in a tree less than 100 yards away, watching - think that kept the other guys civil. I called the local GW and he asked me to be bait, that these fellows had been causing problems for years. I told him that he could use an undercover agent since I'm not up to getting beaten or shot over a hunting spot.

Last story - I also bought land to hunt years ago....could not keep the locals off even after calling the cops. The sheriff lived across the street from the dirtbags. They shot whatever they saw, legal or not. I had to stop going because I was starting to think of how to hide the bodies. 3 years, $3,000 worth of food plots, fencing, no trespass signs, etc. I never saw a deer during the season but found my pet deer laying dead on a trail one day.... Sold the land to a builder.

It is a crying shame that people are so bold when doing illegal deeds. Get the law involved - 1 warning, 2nd time press charges. Then if someone else does something, press charges again, and again. You need everything documented in case they do something to your car, stand, etc.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby Jofa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Why don't you just post it "NO HUNTING" ?

They would then need to get written permision from the owner to be on the property,

You can inform the game warden of their actions and the wardens will keep an eye on the place.
Jofa
hunter

Return to Big Game