Devotion: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 Teal I am still under my limit

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, La. Hunter, Preacher1011

Devotion: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 Teal I am still under my limit

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:37 pm

During the mini-teal Season prior to the Thanksgiving Hunt where the federal game wardens showed up I was invited to my first hunt at a particular dairy. I had hunted on the dairy before but never during one of the big hunts. We got there at about 5:00 and went up to the main house with about 45 other hunters. The man who owned the dairy briefed us on the laws, make sure your gun is plugged, shot steel and the limit was four teal and one mallard. We each got assigned a pond and off we went. We started shooting birds when you could see the flames out the end of your barrel and by sun up my buddy and I both had shot our limit of teal. We wadded out and picked up our birds and to our delight we each couldn’t find the fourth bird so we went back to refill our limit. Within minutes we had our “fourth” bird. When we waded back out to get it we found our lost birds as well. We were both over on our limits and I had a tinge of guilt for shooting five birds (forget that I was shooting lead, but I did have my plug). We went about fifty yards to the next pond and asked how they did, and they said they got twenty-four between the two of them. Compared to their 24 birds my 5 were no big deal.

I talk to a lot of people about Heaven and Hell. When asked “Why are you going to heaven?” the number one answer is that they are a good person. Just like I compared myself with the guys on the next pond who shot two dozen birds we base our goodness on comparisons with others. We say “I am not as bad as that guy who got arrested on the news, I’m a pretty good guy.” Isaiah 64:6 says “6 But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away.” The Bible tells us our righteousness are like filthy rags. The rag it is talking about is one used during menstruation. This gives us a graphic picture of what our best looks like to a holy and righteous God. When we rely on our righteousness we fall short, so one may ask the question, “If my best isn’t good enough what is?”

Our righteousness falls desperately short. When the realization that our goodness can’t do it we cry out to God for mercy and he covers our sins with his righteousness.

Romans 3:21-26 “21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement. through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.”

Romans tells us “This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.” Jesus was a “sacrifice of atonement through faith in his blood.” He took our place so his righteousness could fulfill what ours couldn’t.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby cinrds » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:32 am

Thank you good leason.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby SBCPREACHER » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Great lesson..... Hope you teach in your church. :thumbsup:

Tom
SBCPREACHER
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality