Junior Turkey Hunt

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Junior Turkey Hunt

Postby Duckaholic1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:30 pm

My 14Yr. old Daughter has been drawn for the junior turkey hunt at Cosumnes River Preserve {Dillard Unit} on April,30th. Anyone out there with any knowledge or tips about this area, We could use some. I here the Turkey population in this area is really good. We are avid waterfowlers, and decided to give Turkey hunting a try this year. We could use any tips about Turkey Hunting in general, since this will be only our 2nd. trip for Gobblers. Thanks for your time!
Duckaholic1
Newb

Re: Junior Turkey Hunt

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Congrats! welcome to DHC. I jave no idea where you are hunting, but some basics. Scout as much as possible, Know the lay of the land. These two things will kill more turkeys than anything else. Practice shooting from a sitting position, practice staying comfortable. Practice with a few different types of calls, no call works everyday so a little variety can help. Don't move, camo everything and set up in the shade if possible. Decoys may or may not help, it depends on the situation. I have most of my decoying luck with a strutting jake decoy, really aggravates the toms. Head down on the gun when time to shoot, easy to shoot over one in the excitement. Hunt hard but make it fun for your girl! good luck
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum