Best bird to date for me!!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Best bird to date for me!!

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Me and my friend doubled up on two southern IL gobblers during the 2nd season!! My bird, had these beautiful spurs!!
Allan Hunting36.jpg
I am dedicating this year to waterfowl and waterfowl only....
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Re: Best bird to date for me!!

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:16 pm

damn that's a nice set of spurs! how long was the beard??
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby GoldenEagle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Dang man those are some serious hooks Congrats on a real beauty bird.
GE
GoldenEagle
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:04 pm

The beard was 9-9 1/2, however, the majority of it appeared to have been burnt off just after 5 inches??? We believe it was due to a cattle fence since everyone around this area has them...
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby chinogoose » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 am

Holy smokes batman that birds got some hooks on him. Good job :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:55 am

Hell of a bird...congrats.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 am

Burned off? Did the ends have a rust color to them? The reason I ask, is that sometimes we'll shoot a bird that has this same thing, and we used to think it was caused by mites or a fungus, when in fact, it's caused by lack of melanin. This is an article I found, copied and pasted here. Perhaps this is what really happened to the beard? Maybe a cattle fence has the power to zap a beard in half, and I may be way off track? By the way, I shot a bird that had the same thing. Half the beard was broken off, had an orange burnt colored look to the ends, and half the beard was full, and looked normal.

Fact: Discolored and/or broken beards are usually caused due to lack of melanin.

"Microscopic examination of wild turkey beards shows no evidence related to the presence of mites or fungus," said Eriksen.

He explained that "Melanin is a dark pigment that makes turkey beards dark gray or black. When a beard has a lack of melanin, there may be a strip of orange or amber across the beard that not only affects the beard's color, but also its structural integrity, causing it to become brittle and susceptible to breaking off."
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 am

Thats also known as beard rot.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:33 am

A-Bomb? Where the hell have you been? Do you only show your face when turkey season comes around? :hi:

Have you had your Mom out yet.....any luck? My season is the last week of the season, so I've been chomping at the bit to say the least! nice bird you posted!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:35 pm

LOL...Yeah, i know its been awhile. Took a new job in Warren, which is 105 miles from home. Stay down there all week and as soon as i get home on the weekends im hunting or fishing....Had a great waterfowl season last year. Shot a pile of ducks and geese with my Dad and brother. Deer hunted like twice i think cause of fowling. :thumbsup: Got laid off mid December,which worked out good for ice fishing, and just got back to work for a couple weeks and laid off again. :no: Of course i got called back just as turkey season hit and missed the first week of my hunt. So, with the long hours i didnt get any scouting in, but did manage to get my bird. :lol: Moms hunt starts on May 2 and runs through the 31st. So, it wont be long now and ill have her out. Should be phenomenal hunting by then with the cold wet spring we've had. Its had the birds sticking to the woods and vocalizing much less than normal. But on the nice days they sure fire up. Hoping for some stable weather and a lights out hunt for her.

Good luck on your hunt, hope you get a nice long beard.

Sorry for the :hijack: ....back to your regularly scheduled program....And again great bird, that things a stud! :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Of course we're dealing with the same weather, and same exact conditions. I was just saying that I'm almost happy to have the late season because the weather has them still locked up a bit. The birds just started to spread out, and take on their own roosts, so that's making it easier to find a few pods here and there, and offer more hunting rather than just the winter flock. The boy did manage to shoot a bird during the youth hunt during that super warm spell we had earlier in the month, but that was just hunting with no vocals and no decoys, so I've yet been able to do any sort of hunting the way we both enjoy it.

Very nice spurs! I don't think we ever get those sharpies here. I notice those Florida birds always have those spurs as well. Maybe it's the soil, but ours very rarely exceed an inch and 1/4 before they get marred up or broke off.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:27 pm

THe beard is just about how you described it!! Thanks for the link, I was definately having a difficult time believing a cattle fence would do it..
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby FMFdevildoc » Sun May 01, 2011 1:29 am

Unfortunately Im doing all my internet access & photography via. Android phone; needless to say my photography is horrible to be accurate. I wish I could have taken the classic fanned - out tailfeather shot, I have one more but my attempt at the fanned out gobbler shot is less than photogenic. The story of this hunt is complete insanity...

Fact remains that scouting the same birds, same field to a point of ad-nauseum / ad infinitum paid off. Lest I fail to mention, I missed not one, but two shots at this same bird about 2 weeks ago... long story...

This gobbler fell dead today at about 1050am.

• 10 inch beard
• 7/8 - 1 inch spurs
• 30 pounds approximately

Best turkey I've got and i still have just under 2 weeks to try my hand at archery. Hopefully, I can bring one more home, this time wit the PSE and my G-5 broadheads.
Attachments
050111001931.jpg
10 inches longbeard
050111001959.jpg
The redneck spread
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun May 01, 2011 4:30 am

If you had planned on saving the fan, next time cut off both sets of feathers from the tail bone, and remove the flesh and fat, leaving the skin that hold the fan into place.You can also leave a strip of feathers on the fan, so you have no down to cover. Once you remove as much flesh as possible, you simply apply borax, allow to dry (in the fanned out position), the apply some gorilla glue to keep it's shape.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum