Duck Hunting Forum banner

HELP!

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Citori12 
#1 ·
i need some help on how to set up my dekes i have 2 mallard drakes 2 mallard hens 2 bluebill hens 1 pintail drake and 3 pintail hens how should i set them up if in a v formation so ducks can land what duck should be in front

#3 ·
Since you have that many decoys I would :

Set the sprig dec's out away from you at 45 yards in two groups with a 36" spread between birds. They can be all straight out from you or a group left & 1 right. These birds are always out from the shore line. This is a "high Vis" pattern just to bring in ducks.

On your left put out the mallards in seperate groups of 2 & 3 . On your right the other dec's. (or swap) These birds should be out 35 yards
from your blind for best results. These dec's are the "meat getters".

I have found that most ducks land in the dec's or out side of them, never inside. Adjust per your loads ability to drop birds.

Good luck Sage

#5 ·
JJ; I think he has 10 dec's total. However, I some times only use
just 7 dec's c/o a 2 x 3 x 2 spread.

I have noticed that sometimes a lot of dec's don't pull the ducks in.

While a few placed just right , work. Why I don't know. Maybe just the hunting pressure & getting shot over big spreads make them "jumpy"?

I have also learned not to call as much! No "high balling", little "greeting"
have worked better for me in the last two years. How many times in the field have you heard other hunters calling and it sounds like crap!
These bad calls put up a "red flag" to ducks. When this happens to me, I put my call away and just let things happen.

Just like when the wife is not talking to you; You finally have to commit!

Sage

#6 ·
OK. here it is. Go out to a pond, lake, field, etc where ducks are hanging out. Bring some binaculars. Check out real ducks. Then set up you dekes just like that. The 1st thing you will notice is splashing and ripples. Get a couple quiver magnets to add to you dekes on a calm day or use a jerk cord. There is no set way to do it, and i think making all these crazy patterns is insane. I have never seen ducks sitting in an X or a V or any other real pattern. It is usually random. Just see what species sit together, if the hen or drake is in front, stuff like that. You will learn a lot!

#8 ·
Sagebrush said:
"I have noticed that sometimes a lot of dec's don't pull the ducks in."

Sagebrush, you can't be any more right :thumbsup:

This late in the season drop the big spreads, they've seen them since they left Canada Lay off the calling, also keep your decoys close to shore it gives them the idea it's ok to land. Puddlers will land in deep water, but they have to feed in weeds near the top or on the bottom. So place them in water that they can feed in Keep some distance between your decoys ducks close up arn't sure of the place, ducks tend to bunch up just before they jump.

Now camo, this time of the year , well anytime my thought is "sweat the details". Again they have seen hunters all the way down, their looking for you to make a mistake somewhere, don't give them one on being seen.

#9 ·
870; Right on...
This year in late Dec, I walked out to one of my better places to find 80% of the water with 1/2" of ice. Found 1 place on the leve with a 8' section of tule and a open water area of 30 x 50 feet. Only room for 8 of my dec's. Now this is what you call "down sizing"! Got a limit in 3 hrs.

Another time went out pre-dawn. Started walking. Nothing but snow on the ground & cover bent down. Found a 6 ft patch of dead willow 8" on center & 4 ft high. Only cover around. It was enough for me to get a tripple on honkes with out decoy 1.

What I am saying is dec's are great but cover really helps. Sage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.