Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Who planted this year

Postby SALLY » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:48 am

I planted rice this year hoping it might be the ticket
SALLY
hunter

Re: Who planted this year

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Do you have the means to flood it after it comes up or did you plant in a field or did you plant wet in the water?

I plant rice in my impoundment (along with corn & millet) and bring the water up to flood just the rice. Keeps down the weeds. I can use Round-up on the corn and the millet doesn't need herbicide as it is thick enough to keep out the weeds.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby SALLY » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Mine just depends on mother nature . Wish I did have a way to controll it
SALLY
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:07 pm

I just got a delivery of dune species to reinforce the beach near my house from the DEC nursery in Saratoga. I planted 20 Bayberry, 20 beach plumb and 20 Pitch pine this morning. It was really cheap, you may want to look into what they have in stock for your needs.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon May 02, 2011 6:48 am

I have done a bunch of planting this year so far. This past weekend we planted 9 acres of sunflowers for doves and 1 acre of corn in our 2.5 acre impoundment. I am gonna go natural mostly and suppliment with jap millet and maybe some barnyard grass in the rest of the impoundment. May try some milo as a bunch came up last year and did well in there. Also strategically planted 8 gobbler sawtooths and 2 more buttonbush in there to help out. Around the dove fields I am gonna plant 2 acres of buckwheat and 1 acre of browntop millet to have something to cut early. Hoping we get some rain this wednesday so the corn and sunflowers will sprout. The corn in our 6 acre imp in NC will be planted this week. I also planted 8 gobbler sawtooth down there, 2 swamp white oaks and a few more buttonbush. We have about 20 oaks ringing the outside of the impoundment, some up to 8 inch caliper that should be dropping soon. The inside field is all corn. We did all kinds of combinations ie half corn, quarter jap millet quarter smartweed, half corn half jap millet, half corn half smartweed, and all corn is the best by far.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby SALLY » Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 am

You sound like me I got my sun flowers up about 2 feet But we havn't had a rain since Feb so no luck on my barn yard grass or my rice. I have been planting smart weed for the last 2 years and its slowly starting to take off. We just need rain
SALLY
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon May 02, 2011 3:34 pm

I always plant sunflowers on May 15. That makes them mature around August 15th, two weeks before opening day of our dove season. On August 15, the corn, 32 rows, planted late April in the middle of the field is bushhogged, 4 rows cut per day 'til 8 rows are left for a hiding place. This gives the doves something to start eating on. Then, the sunflowers are getting full use, not completely eaten up, before the season starts. I started using the Clearfield System Sunflower variety so I could spray them with Imazapyr (Beyond or Cadre) at the 4-8 leaf stage for weeds. Really helps to cut down on weeds if you can't cultivate and is even better if you can cultivate.

KAHunter, where is your impoundment? I have built 7 or 8 impoundments down in Hyde and Terrell counties for some clients. Still manage several large properties for wildlife down there. And also is that KA Kappa Alpha?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon May 02, 2011 5:12 pm

We have radish, cabbage, and lettuce in. Still a bit cold here for pumpkins and beans.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby SALLY » Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 am

We cant seem to get any rain here Its all around us but we seem to get left out
SALLY
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm

We did the sunflowers a little early this year but we should be ok. I was hoping to get a little more maturation on some of the seeds than i did last year. I was cutting some sunflowers that had immature seeds on it and hadent fully developed. I am hoping that this early planting will help. we use peredovik sunflowers and use treflan as preemergent. We incorporate it in the soil and it usually does well, especially if we can cultivate once or twice. Last year we didnt cultivate but i sprayed the whole field 2 weeks befroe the season with glyphosate to knock back the weeds and it helped alot. We had some great hunts out there last year. I like to cut a few strips the length of the field and then I do blocks here and there off those strips over a coulple of weeks. I wanna do the millet and buckwheat as my early food source to cut a week or two before along with some sunflowers. Hoping to get some rain tommorrow to get all of this jumping.

I have looked into clearfield sunflowrs but its kinda a if it aint broke dont fix it scenario. this works fine and is easy enough and gets good results.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby SALLY » Wed May 04, 2011 5:13 am

I ve tried several types of sun flowers over the years but now I just use the native . All I do is plow around Feb and they come up thick on there own . So far its been good , easy and cheap . I planted rice and smart weed around my small lake . Probable plant some millet in july there also
SALLY
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:57 am

Still trying to drain out the small impoundment we have. think i am going to have to pump it out this year. just so much water and no where for it to drain to.
klee7013
hunter

Postby SALLY » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 am

We just need rain here badly
SALLY
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri May 06, 2011 6:48 am

i pumped my small one out last year. It took 2 2" pumps 1.5 days but we got it done. I just set those bad boys up, went and did other work and checked on them every few hours to make sure they had gas. worked well just took a while. It makes you realize how nice pulling a few boards out really is.

KAhunter
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology