Lexington KY?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Lexington KY?

Postby KY_newbie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Hey guys,

Im a junior in college wanting to get into waterfowling along with a few of my buddies. Are there any decent public lands around Lexington or are we going to have to take a drive in order to get on some ducks and geese? Im not asking for honey holes, just names of any public lands that can produce some decent hunting. Or if anyone around here wouldnt mind one more tagging along and showing me the ropes, I'd be happy to do what I could to even the deal. I work at a Dicks Sporting Goods so I get a discount on some stuff that you may want to get your hands on. Either way, let me know. Thanks guys!

Chris
KY_newbie
hunter

Re: Lexington KY?

Postby mike_b » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 pm

There are a couple lakes in Richmond, there is the KY River and Elkhorn Creek. There is no public land in Fayette county that is good for waterfowl. The closest public land will be Cedar Creek Lake, Taylorsville Lake, Cave Run area. Those places have space where you can "walk" in, but you'd need a retriever of a boat to fetch your kill.

If you want to stay close, and can't get on a lake or the river, get a small kayak or otter boat and hit the creeks. I've seen good numbers of ducks up near elkhorn creek towards georgetown.

There is not bottom land around here, marshes or otherwise. If you know someone with a corn field, that may be a good bet. There are significant flight patterns from southern Fayette county towards Clark county every day of wintering birds.

Geese are in full force and effect during the winter here, no need to drive anywhere, just find some fields you can hunt near their food and shelter.
mike_b
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Head west with me one weekend. I'm in med school at UK and did my undergrad at Transy, so I've been making the drive home during duck season for the past five years. There is some decent goose hunting around this area if you can get access to a field. Other than that, you're looking at a drive to get to the ducks. :hammer:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KY_newbie » Tue May 03, 2011 12:57 am

duckbuster06 wrote:Head west with me one weekend. I'm in med school at UK and did my undergrad at Transy, so I've been making the drive home during duck season for the past five years. There is some decent goose hunting around this area if you can get access to a field. Other than that, you're looking at a drive to get to the ducks. :hammer:

If you are serious, I would love to accompany you and get some knowledge into waterfowling. I dont have much to offer but I do get a discount at work(Dicks Sporting Goods) so anything you would need just let me know. Thanks for the offer and I look forward to hearing from you.
KY_newbie
hunter

Postby largefrag » Fri May 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Duckbuster. Transy undergrad, Uk medical shcool and a duck hunter. My background excactly. What year are you in medical school? I am an attending in in ortho and always looking for duck hunting opportunties. Email me and lets talk. esmogh0@email.uky.edu
largefrag
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm

your more than welcome to tag along with me on cedar creek i hunt there quite often as i am from danville shoot me an email if you want. sjohnson51@murraystate.edu
another good place to go is green river
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby JohnChops » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 am

Very difficult to hunt around Lexington. I am glad to be living in the WK again. I too was a resident at UK and had a hard time getting places to hunt. Eric (largefrag) hope you guys have a good early wood duck this year. Really the only decent hunt I went on when I lived up there. There is a golf course in Georgetown that will let you shoot geese in the winter. Ask around about it at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Tons of geese around the Bryan Station and Fayette/Clark area, but knocking on doors is not fruitful. I drove around my intern year and asked some people to hunt geese on their horse farms and it was not well received. Lot of horse loving, tree huggers up there in Lex. See if you can't find some guys at UK that go up to northern KY and shoot some geese with them. You may also find some people that hunt the big O as well.

Hope you have better luck than I did.
You better shoulder that gun boy, better shoulder that gun.
JohnChops
hunter

Postby DeadFeathers » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:33 pm

I was wondering which golf course in Georgetown allows you to hunt on it? I'm from Georgetown and live on a golf course. Also I'm new to dunk hunting and have done a little scouting on cedar, Taylorville, and cave run. I don't have any one to hunt with and would someone to go with. I'm never **** hunted kentucky, only southern Illinois. Would like to have someone teach me the ropes around here. I have several decoys, a Mojo, and a kayak. Let me know if any one is interested.
DeadFeathers
Newb

Postby DeadFeathers » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 pm

And apparently typing on my phone is a challenge for me as well. Sorry for all the typos.
DeadFeathers
Newb

Postby cody_webster9 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I just moved to Richmond this past summer. Ive hunted the Ohio River and surrounding areas the last ten years and am kind of starting out fresh this season in Central, Ky. Anyone interested in hunting let me know, im not promising a lot of success but it would be nice to have learn with someone. Ive already got a few ideas and places to try and the trip north to the river is always an option if we cant make somehing happen locally. Im also planning a couple trips to the western portion of the state this season if anyone would want to meet up.
cody_webster9
Newb

Lexington KY?

Postby mike_b » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 pm

DeadFeathers wrote:I was wondering which golf course in Georgetown allows you to hunt on it? I'm from Georgetown and live on a golf course. Also I'm new to dunk hunting and have done a little scouting on cedar, Taylorville, and cave run. I don't have any one to hunt with and would someone to go with. I'm never **** hunted kentucky, only southern Illinois. Would like to have someone teach me the ropes around here. I have several decoys, a Mojo, and a kayak. Let me know if any one is interested.

No more commercial hunting. Just call the golf course, they might allow you to hunt.
mike_b
hunter

Postby kyblackangus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm

There are at least three golf courses between Lex and Georgetown that will let you on...
kyblackangus
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting