The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:45 am

Carlson Championship Calls which is currently owned by Ryan Knoell. I love their calls! Tons of tradition!
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
User avatar
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:32 pm


Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby T.C. Bolding » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:52 pm

My vote goes to betts calls. Wayne makes one heck of a call. The only calls I will use.
T.C. Bolding
hunter
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby POSTALCRITTER » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Kwakman Calls
POSTALCRITTER
hunter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby COOP3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 am

Big Lake Duck Calls, check out www.biglakeduckcalls.com
Jackson Cooper
Big Lake Duck Calls Pro-Staff
User avatar
COOP3
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby shawny90duckboys » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:13 am

I have been hunting the atlantic fly way all my life and have recently switched over to the duck commander line of duck calls they work well, blow wet, last forever, can get loud soft. Whatever you want with them I can't see me using anyting eles on the marsh the teal call worked so well oct1 3 people went out and bought one the next day
shawny90duckboys
hunter
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 am

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby COOP3 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 am

I think people have heard of Duck Commander before.
Jackson Cooper
Big Lake Duck Calls Pro-Staff
User avatar
COOP3
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby PurePassion » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:26 am

XCiter Calls....some of the best looking calls and best sounding calls out there.
User avatar
PurePassion
hunter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:41 am

Love the Haddenhailers new custom tone boards. All single reeds right now hoping he will start working on a double reed soon.

http://youtu.be/PuQlL4EXTvk
Bigpuddin43
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby bipock » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:50 pm

Allen Blevins out of NC. Local call maker and very well respected. Makes a pretty tough call too.
bipock
Newb
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby Illhunt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Lock Hard Custom Calls makes some great calls. They have a Facebook page with a bunch of pictures on it. They are really good guys to work with as well.
Illhunt
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:21 am

The most expensive duck call which was auctioned off- at a Ducks Unlimited Banquet in the USA was handcrafted by Mr. Ralph Jenzen of Wilmington, North Carolina, which sold one of his special designed duck calls for around $1,200 a few seasons ago.

He makes less than 50 duck or goose calls each year and he runs "Master's Touch Game calls".

I used one of his goose calls back in 2003 in a local goose calling contest, and he sold that one for around $400 which is one of his lower priced calls.

Best Regards,

Joe Guide
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
User avatar
Joe Guide
hunter
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Location: Coastal North Carolina

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 am

Hein Wiele a cabinet maker in Burlington Iowa made four calls for his friends. My Father in Law Henry "Pete" Peterson used one. It was a walnut call with a brass read and you soaked it in the river before using it. I have seen Pete call in mallards that had lit and were spooked and begin to leave and he called them back in on the water. His call is now in Michigan owned by his Son, Ron.
Many calls were made by individuals during the early 1900's along the Mississippi R and not sold. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby SuisunGreenhead » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Wow, believe it or not I just read this whole thread :smile:



Trevor Shannahan wrote:All calls do/can stick, water shows nothing.
.

I've owned, (and still use), the same duck call since 1983-
A simple $9.95 old single reed Olt #66.

Just so you'll know this ain't some older fart on a feeble attempt to pass on some useless same 'ole, same ole' duck calling "wisdom" to a younger set of ears, ( that sometimes close quickly), so would have to agree that spit runs thicker than water, and most duck calls can/and will stick on ya'.

After having the opportunity to spend some time with some of the younger generation of 'Duckers,(who have one of each size and shape duckcall made) I can't help to conclude, and share something that I've definately noticed-

Seems the younger generation has the belief that a duckcall is the MAIN STAPLE that'll bring a duck into shotgun range. And while it's obvious that a duck call is good and important..When a circling flock of Mallards that's interested in your spread , I've noticed the constant blowing of the call continues while and long after the flock has their wings set and have commited.

Well, I guess it's time for that feeble attempt and "the point" :yes:

If some guys would start using their duckcall as a duckcall and not as an instrument that needs to be blown from the time ducks are first seen, which sometimes are little dots in the sky a mile away, (and you're blowing the call right into a 30knot. wind)) to the time they're, (hopefully floatin' in the decoys or FLARE from it), you may not have so much spit inside of it, and less problems....Some folks constantly blow and blow, and blow, (and sound like a duck farting in a tin pan)

To each his own-
But I swear:

Less is best
..and I can still count on one hand the amount times my duckcall has stuck on me. If you get the vocally "important stuff" out of your duckcall from the git go, there's no need to do a whole lot of "convincing" when they're 50yds. away :wink:


GREAT comments; I'm one of those younger generation hunters but I love hearing advice like that. The best duck hunter I've ever known, or heard about, uses an Olt DR-115 but the call is just one small part that has led to him killing 5+ greenheads per hunt day for the last 40 years. Also, LOTS of great calls listed in this thread! You should be able to kill just as many ducks with probably any one of these calls as another but it sure is fun talking about them. Every time I buy a new call I think it's the greatest but they never end up finding their way onto my lanyard...I guess in the end they're just pretty to look at but once you figure it out you need anything new to get the job done. The calls 100 years ago sounded like ducks and the calls today sound like ducks. Sit where the ducks want to be, have fun with the gear and gadgets but make sure to appreciate this current golden-age of waterfowling with healthy long-term average populations.
SuisunGreenhead
hunter
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby John Duck » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:41 pm

I have made a call for years that is mostly known where I live Alaska. It is called the "Alaska Call of the Wild". It is a very plain looking camo call in single and double reed. I make it on purpose not to look flashy bright and big. It is used by pro guides and native hunters statewide. A very unique call and little known and probably never heard of by most, and will work in extreme Northern conditions. I designed it to be ultra simple to clean. Anyway, now you know.
John Duck
hunter
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:24 pm

SuisunGreenhead wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:Wow, believe it or not I just read this whole thread :smile:



Trevor Shannahan wrote:All calls do/can stick, water shows nothing.
.

I've owned, (and still use), the same duck call since 1983-
A simple $9.95 old single reed Olt #66.

Just so you'll know this ain't some older fart on a feeble attempt to pass on some useless same 'ole, same ole' duck calling "wisdom" to a younger set of ears, ( that sometimes close quickly), so would have to agree that spit runs thicker than water, and most duck calls can/and will stick on ya'.

After having the opportunity to spend some time with some of the younger generation of 'Duckers,(who have one of each size and shape duckcall made) I can't help to conclude, and share something that I've definately noticed-

Seems the younger generation has the belief that a duckcall is the MAIN STAPLE that'll bring a duck into shotgun range. And while it's obvious that a duck call is good and important..When a circling flock of Mallards that's interested in your spread , I've noticed the constant blowing of the call continues while and long after the flock has their wings set and have commited.

Well, I guess it's time for that feeble attempt and "the point" :yes:

If some guys would start using their duckcall as a duckcall and not as an instrument that needs to be blown from the time ducks are first seen, which sometimes are little dots in the sky a mile away, (and you're blowing the call right into a 30knot. wind)) to the time they're, (hopefully floatin' in the decoys or FLARE from it), you may not have so much spit inside of it, and less problems....Some folks constantly blow and blow, and blow, (and sound like a duck farting in a tin pan)

To each his own-
But I swear:

Less is best
..and I can still count on one hand the amount times my duckcall has stuck on me. If you get the vocally "important stuff" out of your duckcall from the git go, there's no need to do a whole lot of "convincing" when they're 50yds. away :wink:


GREAT comments; I'm one of those younger generation hunters but I love hearing advice like that. The best duck hunter I've ever known, or heard about, uses an Olt DR-115 but the call is just one small part that has led to him killing 5+ greenheads per hunt day for the last 40 years. Also, LOTS of great calls listed in this thread! You should be able to kill just as many ducks with probably any one of these calls as another but it sure is fun talking about them. Every time I buy a new call I think it's the greatest but they never end up finding their way onto my lanyard...I guess in the end they're just pretty to look at but once you figure it out you need anything new to get the job done. The calls 100 years ago sounded like ducks and the calls today sound like ducks. Sit where the ducks want to be, have fun with the gear and gadgets but make sure to appreciate this current golden-age of waterfowling with healthy long-term average populations.


Calling BS on this one. 40 years ago there was a point system. 100 ponts.
Hen mallard 90 points
Drake mallard 40 points

Tell the truth son. C'mon
5 mallards/day for 40 years?
Attachments
1381098310313.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11644
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:57 pm

JJ Lares... HANDS DOWN
JD
Image
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
User avatar
RefugeRat4Life
hunter
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:56 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby BillyBones » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:07 am

I have been carrying a Goey duck and goose call for the last few season and love them. Found them at the Harrisburg show. Couple of great guys out of PA producing them.
BillyBones
hunter
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby K Williams » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 pm

I just ordered a Ducklander Sinner call because of this thread. LOL

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
Last edited by K Williams on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby K Williams » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:25 pm

aunt betty wrote:G & S Rainman calls.
The guy won the World Duck Calling Competition in Stuttgart once.
Try a White Lightning call from them.
Its different, unique, and should be in everyone's collection.
Try one. They are only 60 bucks last time I checked.

That is the best duck call that nobody ever heard of period.
White Lightning!!!


$75 + $10 shipping... I just ordered one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby txhunter90 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:46 pm

K Williams wrote:
aunt betty wrote:G & S Rainman calls.
The guy won the World Duck Calling Competition in Stuttgart once.
Try a White Lightning call from them.
Its different, unique, and should be in everyone's collection.
Try one. They are only 60 bucks last time I checked.

That is the best duck call that nobody ever heard of period.
White Lightning!!!


$75 + $10 shipping... I just ordered one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

How did you order?
User avatar
txhunter90
hunter
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby K Williams » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:19 pm

txhunter90 wrote:
K Williams wrote:
aunt betty wrote:G & S Rainman calls.
The guy won the World Duck Calling Competition in Stuttgart once.
Try a White Lightning call from them.
Its different, unique, and should be in everyone's collection.
Try one. They are only 60 bucks last time I checked.

That is the best duck call that nobody ever heard of period.
White Lightning!!!


$75 + $10 shipping... I just ordered one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

How did you order?


Their website, then through PayPal.

http://rainmancalls.com/products/white-lightning

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby Timberhtr » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:52 pm

K Williams where did you get your information Rainman once won the world in Stuttgart?
Timberhtr
hunter
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby K Williams » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:38 am

Timberhtr wrote:K Williams where did you get your information Rainman once won the world in Stuttgart?


When did I say that?? I've only been duck hunting for about 4 years. Couldn't tell you who won any duck calling contest. LOL

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:44 am

K Williams wrote:
Timberhtr wrote:K Williams where did you get your information Rainman once won the world in Stuttgart?


When did I say that?? I've only been duck hunting for about 4 years. Couldn't tell you who won any duck calling contest. LOL

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Aunt betty was the one who said it.
User avatar
txhunter90
hunter
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: The Best Duck Calls You've Never Heard Of

Postby Timberhtr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Sorry, K Williams, my mistake, Greg makes some good sounding calls but winning the world in Stuttgart. NO!
Timberhtr
hunter
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rory and 12 guests