First handgun

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

First handgun

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Thu May 05, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi yall, just turned 21 last year and ive finally got my money right to buy my first pistol. I know my shotguns and rifles well, but having just turned 21 i dont know too much about handguns. Im a lefty, so I would like something that is somewhat ambidextrous, or at least reasonable to operate for a lefty. Any suggestions? I plan on researching and handling a bunch of guns before I make my final decision, but if yall could give me some ideas of where to start, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Re: First handgun

Postby apexhunter » Fri May 06, 2011 12:21 pm

A bit more information would be needed to provide proper suggestions. Are you thinking along the lines of a revolver or semi automatic? Also what is the intended use going to be (target, hunting, self defense, etc)...and what caliber are you looking at?

Obviously there are hundreds of options so you need to narrow the parameters of your search based upon where and how the pistol will be used. The make, model (or style), size, caliber and options of pistols these days are somewhat defined by the gun's intended purpose.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Fri May 06, 2011 4:03 pm

Sorry I guess I did leave out some specifics. Im looking for a semi auto. I can only afford one gun at the moment, so I want one I can use for everything. Im thinking of something along the lines of a 9mm because its rather cheap to shoot. I don't want something big, like a 1911, but I also don't want something too small. Hope this helps narrow it down.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Bgold » Fri May 06, 2011 4:06 pm

FNP 45

I bought mine for around 700. Holds 14 rnds in the mag and 1 in the pipe. Cant go wrong with that. It also shoots amazingly.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Sun May 08, 2011 10:29 am

if you want an economical piece, look at Hi-Point it is made in the USA (ohio I think) it has a lifetime replacement warranty, and it is cheap as hell. I own a S&W .40 Hi-Point while it may look like a hammer, people quit laughing when it goes bang every time. I have ran over 1000 rounds through mine and it looks as it did when I bought it. I have only had 3 issues with ejections on this and it was when using the cheap, cheap, cheap, winchester target ammo (I have shot 400 rds of this) and I am pretty sure that I had forgotten to clean the weapon after the last use resulting in the ejection failures. You should be able to get the 9mm version for under $200, also mags are cheap on these as well I believe somewhere in the 10-15 range. Mine was sight on out of the box, I set up a target at 20 yds and hit 6/10 center mass out of the first mag, the 2nd mag was 10/10 so these are really nice peices, check them out.

Jerrod
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Don't get a high point. Other's might work fine, but look around and you'll see there are a lot of crappers out there. Same with Taurus. Sure they both have lifetime warranties, but does that warranty really do you any good if you have to use your firearm to protect yourself? No. A lifetime warranty does you no good if you're dead. Buy a good gun, especially if it's going to be used for defense. Get a Springfield, Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, or a 1911. The ONLY time I would recommend a Taurus or Hi Point is if it were strictly for target practice. Even then, I would push you to something else.

Taurus and Hi Point have issues, plain and simple. I sell guns for a living, so I've seen the problems. I don't base anything off of me wanting to make more money or me owning one of them. I make them based on what I've seen come back to the gunsmith after we sell them and off what I've seen about them. There's a reason the military and police do not carry any of them and opt for a higher priced weapon.

I'm not smashing those that own them, I'm giving what I've seen and what I would recommend based on that.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon May 09, 2011 9:19 am

I agree with Preach. Its hard to go wrong with a Springfield XD, Glock, or S&W M&P. If possible, go to the range and find someone who owns one or a place where you can rent one, and shoot one of all of them. I think most of those have ambidextrous features, but see which one fits best, is easiest to use, and buy the one you are the most comfortable with.

There are a lot of people out there that love a certain brand, like glock, but glock was never an option for me since I hated the way it felt in my hand. So just go out and try them and see what you like.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:00 am

Most autos are pretty ambidextrous. I shoot with both hands and have never had a problem. My recommendation would be a Sig. I have a P228 in 9mm and it is my absolute favorite. Smoothest shooting I have experienced, and absolutely reliable. Ruger's P series is a great value. Not as pretty or smooth as the Sig, but rugged and reliable and a reasonable price. They are probably the best value out there in terms of quality vs. price.
Last edited by Sandman3400 on Tue May 10, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Mon May 09, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I plan on shooting and handling a bunch before I buy one, just wanted some places to start.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Bgold » Mon May 09, 2011 11:08 am

Just to reiterate since my suggestion seemed to have been lost in the "your handgun sucks!My hand gun rocks" blather. Definitely give FNP a shot http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=711 . They are also made in the USA and are the company the makes the .243 SAW, F2000, P90 and also the SCAR line of assault rifles. I was seriously considering the 1911 as others have said and then I shot the FNP. The FNP is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the pistols mentioned in this thread. The .45 version that I shot recoils more like a 9mm which makes it amazingly accurate. It's also extremely rigid and reliable and can be field stripped in less than 10 seconds ( I've done it). Overall the FNP is an amazing pistol and I havnt regretted my choice for a second. I strongly suggest you give them a look.

Also, last I heard the military was looking to replace their service pistols with the FNP 9.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon May 09, 2011 12:01 pm

A lot of folks like CZ brand handguns. I have never owned one, but people that do really seem to like them.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby adustydawg » Mon May 09, 2011 7:50 pm

You might want to try the Sig 250. You can convert from 9mm to 40 s & w to 357 Sig to 45 with the 1 basic gun. I carry this gun in 40 cal as my off duty weapon. Sig quality at a reasonable price plus the accuracy equals money well spent. The dang thing is even comfortable to shoot even with full house plus P rounds. Try one out in 9mm. Am sure that you will not be disappointed. :bow: As for Hi Point, ha, a real questionable gun. Have seen alot of problems with the reliabilty issues. Use hot loads and they tend to jam. Too much pressure I think. :eek:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby crispy8034 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm not sure what other's opinions are on Beretta as a brand, but I just picked up my first pistol a few weeks ago and went with the Beretta PX4 storm in .45ACP. I went to a nearby gun range and rented a good handful of .45 and .40's and it was the one that stood out. I highly recommend that option so you can really see how a gun fires and feels in your hand. I shot an XD45 and didn't love it, but the rental shop for some reason had a laser on it, so it was hard to really take seriously. The PX4 storm does have the option of switching the magazine release to the opposite side for left-handed shooters. I'm not sure if this is typical, but I thought it was worth mentioning. It comes in 9mm, .40, and .45 so you have options there as well. Mine was $650 at a local shop. I could have gotten $599 at Cabela's but it wasn't worth the drive down there to purchase and the drive down to pick it up (no CWP).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :beer:
If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time and for no good reason.
crispy8034
hunter

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Wed May 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Havent made up my mind yet, but I handled an XD the other day and liked the feel. I have a question for y'all who have shot them before. Im paranoid about safety, and I'm not sure how I feel about a gun without a safety button. I know it would be hard to accidently hit the trigger and the safety on the grip at the same time, but for some reason it worries me. How do y'all feel about that type of safety?
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 pm

It doesn't bother me one bit. I carry a Glock and it's like the XD but doesn't have a grip safety. Departments wouldn't carry Glocks or S&W M&P's if they weren't safe. You can load that gun up, rack the slide, and throw it across the highway and it's not going off. Glocks, M&P's, and XD's all have long trigger pulls, drop safeties, and firing pin blocks. When you pull the trigger, you're actually cocking the striker and pushing up a small cylinder that blocks the firing pin from the round in the chamber.

With the XD you can't even work the slide without having the grip safety engaged. There is absolutely NO WAY any of these guns will go off unless you pull the trigger. If it really bothers you that much, you can get the XD's with a manual safety. However, it is not necessary to have a safe firearm.

Check these out, they show/explain a lot and might put your mind at ease. Granted it's with a Glock, but the XD has all the same safeties plus some:

Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Wed May 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Gotya.. Ive understood they wont go off for no reason, but thats just always made me nervous. Thanks for the input tho, that eases my mind a bit.
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum