Prince of Wales Island

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Prince of Wales Island

Postby jballa34 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:31 pm

I'm thinking about possibly moving there in the near future and was curious how their waterfowl hunting is. I've been to the island several times, but only in the summers to work. I'm absolutely in love with it and can't wait to graduate and get back up there.

So if anybody has heard anything about their waterfowl hunting?
jballa34
hunter

Re: Prince of Wales Island

Postby AK Ray » Fri May 06, 2011 4:23 pm

You don't hear much about duck hunting in SE outside of Juneau. However, it happens.

There are a lot of puddle ducks that migrate along the coast and they rest up in the grassy river flats or shallow grassy flats between islands.

The few posts I have seen over the years from guys that puddle duck hunt use a large boat for a base and then small skiffs to access the flats areas where the large boat can't get into. The only reason I know this is that the guy built a couple of KARA Hummers and posted photos of them in use over on the Refuge. He even posted the name of the river bay and island they were anchoring the big boat in. Started with a "K". There is a forest service cabin on a high spot of land that others were using for their base camp while duck hunting the grass flats.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby jballa34 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Yeah, when I've been on the island working I didn't hear much about duck hunting, and when I did hear something, it was usually just jump shooting while they were steelhead fishing.

I know there is a guide service called J and J thats located on the northern part of the island. Like most busineses there, they primarily work around fishing, but they have a small section of their website dedicated to waterfowling. But then again, they claim to do mostly jump shooting also.

When I lived in Cordova we shot tons of ducks and geese. Do you think there aren't as many waterfowlers south of Juneau or the hunting just isn't all that great?
jballa34
hunter

Postby Khendy64 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:50 am

i work in southern chatham strait based of kuiu island and im only there for like the first weekend of duck season but hace done extremly well on flat days sitting out on the points and catchin a few sea ducks here and there but one of the other skippers i work with has some area he hits the hell out of geese but he refuses to show me i think its just a nice size group of local birds that dont leave the area and he picks a few of em out every year. just a different style of hunt im use to southern california where i live where if you dont know how to call birds wont even double look at you the birds up there seem to be very forgiving of any mistakes but they dont fly in as large of flocks alot of singles
Khendy64
Newb

Postby Erich_870 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:47 pm

As everyone else has said, the places to chase early season birds are along the small marshes that form at river and creek mouths. The landscape is very similar throughout SE Alaska; steep slopes that dive off into the ocean. That makes the tidal marshes small but the puddle ducks still like them.

Given that POW is more in the flight path (unlike Juneau) I'd guess that the migration brings in some pretty strong influxes of bird, if only for a short while.

That being said, we have birds that stay all winter long so I'd assume they stay on the larger marshes down there.

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby jballa34 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:10 am

Much appreciated Erich. :thumbsup:
jballa34
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Another big issue that might happen, and probably why people jump shoot so much more is due to a lack of pressure.

Once you find a flat and shoot at a group, the others are gonna bail out...then your shooting is pretty much over.

The reason the flats in Juneau can be so good is because of all the pressure the birds never can quite settle down somewhere....people are constantly pushing them around...Your not gonna have that down there...
OneLunG
hunter

Postby Danoinak » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:33 pm

I live in Ketchikan, and have to tell you that the hunting can be fantastic around here. As some others have already said, you need to hunt the tide flats at the head of bays. There are a LOT of birds that pass through this area. It works best to have access to a skiff to get into most areas, but there are some decent areas along the road system. Also check out the Forest Service cabins on the island. They are very inexpensive to rent, and most times are near some great hunting. The birds that pass through haven't had much pressure, so will come into decoys really well. I've got a Robo-duck that just brings them in like crazy. Good luck.
Danoinak
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting